Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Very close to IVA time! (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2476)

peterux 18th February 2010 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatOldOne (Post 18150)
Well - application is now winging it's way to Swansea. Snow storms not withstanding... ;)

No turning back now!

Have you covered all the sharp edges on the bonnets yet?

...peter

GreatOldOne 18th February 2010 21:03

Strangely enough, that's exactly what I was doing tonight! :)

timbo 18th February 2010 22:33

There's a couple of edges on the front suspension/steering rack they got me on... don't forget they will look at it from underneath, so get down low when you're looking for those edges...
Tim

Patrick 19th February 2010 07:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by timbo (Post 18156)
There's a couple of edges on the front suspension/steering rack they got me on... don't forget they will look at it from underneath, so get down low when you're looking for those edges...
Tim

Yeah you wouldn't want the odd hedgehog to cutting themselves rummaging around down there :fish:

:D Don't use bostic to glue down rubber though it's a real PITA to get off afterwards.

GreatOldOne 19th February 2010 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick (Post 18159)
Don't use bostic to glue down rubber though it's a real PITA to get off afterwards.

Oops. I used a few dabs of impact adhesive. Good job I have some good solvent! :)

GreatOldOne 19th February 2010 09:48

Insurance - I've just got a quote from Footman James, and I'm waiting on one from Adrian Flux... Anywhere else I should try?

FJ has quoted £232 fully comp with 3,000 miles

Chris Cussen 19th February 2010 09:55

Adrian Flux provided mine last year. As far as I can remember it was £180 for 6000m, and no time limit on getting it registered.

A couple of others insurance companies only gave you a month to get it registered, which taking into account IVA, IVA re-test then DVLA inspection could be a bit tight.

As for the glue, it has to be sufficient to make the testers believe its a permanent fixture. Double sided sticky tape will not do :smile:

GreatOldOne 19th February 2010 10:02

£180 sounds very good - but then I do have a -ahem- "motoring conviction" ;)

How long did it take for AF to get back to you? I filled in their online form, and it said I'd get an email... Nothing yet.

FJ was very pushy - No sooner had I filled in the form and recieved the almost instantaneous email, I had a phone call from their call centres asking if the quote was OK and how would I like to pay.... :/

Chris Cussen 19th February 2010 10:26

I did it over the phone. And no convictions.

GreatOldOne 19th February 2010 11:40

Just had a nice chat with a lady at AF. £204 fully comp.

Looks like they'll be getting my money then. :)

peterux 19th February 2010 18:18

I've used Adrian Flux from the beginning.
My premium last year was £143, but i am an old bugger.
Fully Comp, Agreed value, garaged and limited mileage.

They also did me Rescue and Recovery for £32 !

...peter

Patrick 19th February 2010 18:40

I use Adrian Flux too but I've got 4 drivers on mine so it's a bit more expensive.

timbo 19th February 2010 19:14

I use Adrian Flux too, 180 for 1500 miles I think, but my speedo has had a terrible calibration accident...

peterux 22nd February 2010 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick (Post 18159)
:D Don't use bostic to glue down rubber though it's a real PITA to get off afterwards.

Geeeez, tell me about it.
I spent nearly the whole day yesterday cleaning mine off and i'm still recovering from the solvent fumes! :dizzy:
I think you'll need to stick them on for the IVA to make them permenant but my advice is clean them off the week after the IVA and don't leave it 18 months like I did.

GreatOldOne 23rd February 2010 14:26

Ooo-errr.... Just had a call from Swansea, and they've just relieved me of my test fee. Ouch. :)

Chris Cussen 23rd February 2010 15:24

Indeed ouch.

Next step is to get past the jobsworth who will doubt you built the car by yourself!

GreatOldOne 23rd February 2010 15:33

Yes the nice lady from Torchwood... Sorry, Vosa said it would be looked at by the Weevils from the tech section next. ;)

(Yes, I know. Wrong city, but the DVLA is so big it might as well have torn a rift in the fabric of spacetime...)

Patrick 23rd February 2010 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatOldOne (Post 18195)
Yes the nice lady from Torchwood... Sorry, Vosa said it would be looked at by the Weevils from the tech section next. ;)

(Yes, I know. Wrong city, but the DVLA is so big it might as well have torn a rift in the fabric of spacetime...)

:lol:

timbo 23rd February 2010 23:42

You need to move to the south-west - its much more chilled down here :)

GreatOldOne 24th February 2010 07:20

I know. My mother used to live in Okehampton. :)

I always used to be amazed with chilled and relaxed attitude to parking in the West Country. There where several locals who thought that parking diagonally across the T-Junction to the carpark outside my Mum's place was a perfectly sensible place to leave a car...

Proper Job! :lol: