Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sammio Builds and discussions (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Oxford build (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3569)

slartibartfast 12th September 2016 19:17

Just love those pepper-pot wheels. What is the stud patern and are they standard off another vehicle? I went to Goodwood at the week-end and saw something very similar on a Caterham Sprint
Cheers
Slarti

oxford1360 13th September 2016 08:09

Hi Slarti,

The wheels are BMW Mini steels. They are available very cheaply (£25 for four wheels and good Michelin tyres) as so money people swap them for alloys. They are 4 x 100 PCD.

The conversion was achieved by buying some nice aircraft-ali adaptors from the US.

They are beautiful, but they were not cheap. By the time I had paid the taxes due I was the wrong side of £200.

As soon as I fitted them I knew they were worth it. Before fitting I changed the standard Herald lugs for the larger MG / Land Rover lugs. They did need to be trimmed so as not to sit proud of the adaptor.

I have just had a look and they now appear to be available this side of the Atlantic -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Cu...SCtMpMjDZc0oVQ

My decision to go this route was inspired by this pic of an MG record breaker -

and I am quite pleased with my eventual take -

By complete good fortune, the resulting track matches the Sammio body perfectly.

molleur 13th September 2016 13:12

Perfect! Like them..

DaveP 13th September 2016 22:12

Flipping nice wheels and suit the car perfectly.

I'm going steels one day (need a car first)

slartibartfast 16th September 2016 17:15

Thanks for all the info on the wheels Oxford ...It's something I've been considering for some time ....wires or pepper-pot ?? I think wires can be quite heavy and I like the p/p wheels as they look very close to a racing Dunlop. I think that is the route I will take.
Cheers
Slarti

oxford1360 2nd October 2016 16:11

Just to show that progress is ongoing.........

The rear bulkhead and upper-face of the transmission tunnel are cut and fitted.

Front bulkhead is next, and then I can drop the frame onto the floor and chassis......softly, softly, catchy monkey.

No. 1......

No. 2......

Paul L 3rd October 2016 18:46

Looking good. :cool:

If you are doing all the rivets by hand, I guess you now have a vice like grip. :eek:

Good luck, Paul. :)

oxford1360 4th October 2016 10:42

I do, and when it is "done" i am going to add a rivet in between each pair that you can see. In other words, same again.

oxford1360 22nd October 2016 16:01

At last

After a gap of a few weeks due to children going off to University and family visits, I managed to get a few hours in the woods today. It was time for Operation Front Bulkhead........

Trial fit after cutting, and then drilling of rivet holes......

Riveted.....

Detail of the steering column pillow bearing....

Front and rear bulkheads......

More tomorrow.....

lancelot link 22nd October 2016 18:20

nice work ....I have used several types of pillow block bearing over the years ..they are very useful ...

Paul L 23rd October 2016 05:55

Oxford - Looks great. :cool:

[Lesson Learnt]

Just take care when moving the framework around.

[/Lesson Learnt]

oxford1360 23rd October 2016 16:32

Some time down in the woods today but most of it working on the Series 3.

I did manage to cut two more panels. Driver's side can be seen below with the waiting-to-be-refurbished MG pedal box.

Getting there.....

More next week.....

Triumph Special 23rd October 2016 21:47

Yours is a very bespoke car indeed. Kudos.

oxford1360 30th October 2016 17:11

A bit same old, same old, but all the panels are cut and most are fitted. Those that aren't will be when the frame is mated to the chassis.....next weekend. That will be a big step as I can then lay the brake lines, fit the dash and some electrics and then.......who knows. The moon buggy may move.

The overlaying centre panel is bolted (M4 stainless) to allow access in the future.

More next week.....

oxford1360 19th November 2016 15:19

Another little milestone

Another little milestone - frame and floors on chassis.

The rear frame needs painting.....

Driver's side....

And my favourite.....this is the "race car" look I was aiming for under the skin.

I can start building up now - steering, pedals and dash.

Paul L 19th November 2016 15:28

Oxford - Simply outstanding. :cool:

That must be a HUGE boost to morale just as the winter is arriving.

Roadster 19th November 2016 16:12

From the very start I always liked the way you were going with this spyder.
The rolling chassis looks superb and for sure must inspire you to keep coming back to the cold garage.

Didn't you get tempted to place the body parts on your "moon rover"

oxford1360 19th November 2016 16:30

Thanks Paul and Roadster - yes, very tempted to hang the body on it but the main tub is in my friend's stable across a muddy field, so that helped me to resist.

molleur 19th November 2016 16:45

That chassis looks the business, well done!

swifty 19th November 2016 17:13

Great work Oxford, I like the ally panel look, another top class sammio in the making.