Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Build Chat (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What are the current Rebody Rules??? (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6315)

Colin HD 27th March 2017 13:17

What are the current Rebody Rules???

Hi Crew,
Just starting a new Project and want to confirm the current rebody rules before I start.

1973 Beetle, already registered as 'Historic' all standard running gear, SORN.

Project will include removing the body and keeping ALL the VW:
Chassis - LWB
Axles
Suspension - Drop spindles & lowered
Steering - Same box etc, but will relocate to the centre.
Transaxle - Raised (lower the car)
Engine - Depending on strip down, may be a replacement, but same cc's.

New body will be handmade fibreglass - With subframe mounting it to the floor pan.
Photos with number plates - before, during & after.

My understanding is that following the 'body swap' notify DVLA to change body 'name' and off for an MOT!!

I know, not quite that simple, but generally, there is still NO requirement for the dreaded IVA/BIVA/SVA/RAC/AA/ABC/MBA Testing.

Thanks in advance.

Colin HD

retro200 27th March 2017 13:33

vw re-body

you should be ok without iva if you can exceed the dvla,s required number of points, it should be treated by the dvla as a "radically altered vehicle " as long as there are no alterations at all to the original chassis, and it should come under the "dvla points system" ( see dvla radically altered vehicle website) you will need to mot, and insure it first, once finished before you notify dvla of any name change

Colin HD 27th March 2017 13:51

"no alterations at all to the original chassis"

To relocate the original steering box, I might have to trim (and reinforce) the framehead a little.
So at worst, I would lose the '2 Points' for steering, still leaving me with 12 Points.

Or would this also 'rob' me of the 5 available 'chassis' points?!?

Correct, my bad, MOT & Ins, before application for Name change.

Thanks.

lancelot link 27th March 2017 18:53

Any 'obvious' chassis mod will penalize you ...this is a bit of a grey area as to how much is acceptable and each case is definitely on its own when it comes to DVLA ........

redratbike 27th March 2017 20:12

Does the MOT tester check or do the dvla take you at your word

I.e. Don't tell them they don't know

retro200 27th March 2017 21:27

re-body

mot tester only tests for "roadworthiness" on the vehicle that he is presented with its not up to them to inform dvla of any changes thats up to the owner, they test what is presented to them on the day when i took mine for mot the coulor had changed from silver to white the tester said he had to enter the details as white as that was what he was presented with, a white car, not a silver car. the coulor is then changed after its mot,d when you re - register it with the dvla then your new mot ties up with your new v5. ive also heard that the dvla like any aftermarket f/glass bodys to come from a recognised source, as in established manufacturers the dvla ask for proof of this via a valid invoice/receipt for the new body at the time of re- registration, otherwise if you made your own body and it contravened the iva requirements at mot time as in sharp edges / dangerous protrusions etc then i think your mot man might refuse to test it or just simply fail it of course if its "iva friendly at the time of mot test then no problem then simply re-register it as what it now is .

lancelot link 28th March 2017 19:23

Just spoken to DVLA today ..chasing an application that has been taking ages for a customer . They had insisted on an MOT ..Yesterday I decided to challenge it ...spoke to a guy that was very familiar with the S*mmio range of re-bodies ...said he'd processed a few and couldn't see why an MOT was required for a straight forward re-body as his interpretation of the rules didn't require it ...he couldn't comment further though as it was his colleagues case but would have a chat with him and get him to call me back today ...10 ish today ..phone rings , apology from DVLA about requesting an MOT , no need to do that ..logbook on its way !! RESULT ...Just wished I had questioned it a month ago when the letter arrived !!

molleur 28th March 2017 19:42

Sunshine after all!

Colin HD 29th March 2017 11:51

Gota love the DVLA, they clearly don't fully understand their own system!!

You would think that just being 'paper-pushers' they could follow a simple Flow Chart.

So, as long as its a 'normal' rebody (whatever that is) with no chassis modifications, minimum of 8 Points - Send of the V5 for a Name Change, No Inspection and no need for MOT & Ins until you are ready to put it on the road.

lancelot link 29th March 2017 19:43

You need to also send a filled in 627/1 form and two pictures , one before , one after , both showing the registration number , if possible ...

Colin HD 30th March 2017 08:05

Kool!!
With all this clarified, I'm off to the garage to build something!!

Thanks Guys.

redratbike 30th March 2017 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin HD (Post 87096)
Kool!!
With all this clarified, I'm off to the garage to build something!!

Thanks Guys.

What sort of style is the body going to be???

lancelot link 30th March 2017 22:43

If you leave the steering box where it is and centralize the column by using a couple of u/j's ..that would be safer from a regs point of view , I think ..

Colin HD 31st March 2017 08:53

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by redratbike (Post 87099)
What sort of style is the body going to be???

I'm building a 'tribute' car, not a 'clone' but my version of the Ed Roth - Road Agent from 1964.

The original was a 'Show Car' based on a tube frame chassis, with a dropped front axle and a 1960 Corvair engine.

Mine will be VW Beetle and fully road legal and designed to be driven.
Need to sort the steering, as keeping the VW front axle, the body/grille will come 'over' front beam.

Took delivery of me two bubble tops on Monday, just wanted to clarify the 'Rebody Rules' so now full steam ahead.
1 fluorescent (for shows) & 1 Clear (that will be cut down to from a 'screen' for daily driving)

Body will be made laying fibreglass over a plaster & vermiculite buck.

This Forum is a fantastic site for information and ideas, but I don't see where my car build could be posted.

Colin

retro200 31st March 2017 09:01

road agent

that different, looks like something from "wacky races" good luck with the build

lancelot link 31st March 2017 20:15

I love most of Ed Roths stuff ..he didn't always get it right , but he was quite a character and skilled bike and car builder ...good luck with the build , I am watching this with interest ...

I built 2 VW Beetle based 32 Fords a few years ago ..a Roadster with slight rear stretch and engine ancilliaries moved about to get it all in the boot and a Roadster Pickup that was a lot easier to build ...

The Roadster retained its stock front axle mounted to a beam extender , I notched the grilleshell over the steering box and fitted huge headlights low down to hide it..fake fibreglass chassis rails and fake wishbones helped it look less VW like ...

The Pickup had a dropped I beam with F100 front brakes and a Pop spring and split wishbones ..I made a front section of chassis that bolted to the framehead to mount a Model A crossmember on the front and it gave me some stock looking framehorns too ...

Beetles are still great bases for loads of vehicles , but the rising cost of them is making it trickier to find a cheap enough donor ... ...

http://i68.tinypic.com/qobuwh.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/17vdbp.jpg

Colin HD 31st March 2017 21:59

Agreed, some of Ed's stuff wasn't quite 'there' but for the main, he built so KOOL stuff!
I know your stuff and I'm sure our paths crossed in your Dooster Days and when I did the hydraulics on Andys 47 Pontiac & Audi.

Beetles are one of the best starting platforms.
My other stuff has been 'normal' Restos, low riders quite vanilla!
Decided I wanted something 'left field' for a change.

redratbike 31st March 2017 22:13

Oh yes a Rothesque build is going to be great ������

lancelot link 31st March 2017 22:17

Aaah ok ...keep us posted on the build ....

I imported that 47 Pontiac that you did for Andy , came from Connecticut ...sold it to a guy in Shaftesbury , who then sold it to Andy ....

Munky 1st April 2017 00:17

I'm quite lucky that a well known car guy lives three streets away from me who has been known to restore the odd Ed Roth car...
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/a...y/IMG_0949.jpg
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/a...y/IMG_0951.jpg
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/a...y/IMG_0954.jpg
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/a...y/IMG_0952.jpg