Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marlin 5exi builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   3-point harness (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272)

marlinturbo 23rd May 2005 21:40

3-point harness

hi all,
has anyone fitted a 3-point harness to their 5exi yet?
small point, but there are only two fixing points that I can see...

john
marlinturbo

tony-g 23rd May 2005 22:49

hi john

marlin supply a bar that goes between the two upper seat mountings(normal seat belt mountings) on the role cage . the top strap is a one piece strap that goes around the bar and goes to both shoulder straps.

I was bit unsure about this with the sva but mark told me it is ok but as far as I know no one has put a car through a sva in this set up.

all the best

tony

marlinturbo 24th May 2005 11:48

hi tony,
the bar i was ok with...and i can see from photo's that the third strap passes over that bar...but how exactly is it attached to the bar?
or to put the question another way...can i use any 3-point harness and make it fit that bar?
tbh, i was expecting to add/find another fixing point behind that bar, but i cannot see where or how to do it at the moment...:-(
maybe marlin take a 3-point harness and cut the third strap and wrap it around the bar and sew it up making it a special???

john
marlinturbo

Ex-Biker 24th May 2005 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by marlinturbo
maybe marlin take a 3-point harness and cut the third strap and wrap it around the bar and sew it up making it a special???

john
marlinturbo

Not quite, but that's how it fits.

The top strap (yep one) fits by wrapping around the back bar and securring in the shoulder adjusters.

tony-g 24th May 2005 16:43

yes that is how it goes. From one shoulder strap over the bar and back to the other shoulder strap. marlin did not sew it together it was free to slide about the bar.

all the best
tony

marlinturbo 24th May 2005 17:43

ah ha ha ha aha...thanks guys...

holgate86 26th May 2005 20:44

sva and harnesses

I have just had my sva test and not having received harnesses I had to fit inertia reel belts for the test which were ok. I had the bar still fitted and quizzed sva inspector about harness connected to bar and he daid he would fail it without a centre strengthener point to the bar. I spoke to Terry about it and apparently Dylan had belts fitted and passed. It would seem passing or failing is down to individual inspectors opinion. Brian.

Ex-Biker 27th May 2005 07:56

So if the car fails on the 3-point harness, you need to re-test it with inertia?

The manufacturer is stating that this is not an issue and the 3-point WILL pass.

It would be nice to have some definative answer.

limpabit 27th May 2005 08:00

It might be as Brian says. It's down to the inspector. Maybe a safe bet is get the car SVA'ed using belts then change them for harness. Or get the car SVA's down where Marlin get there's SVA'ed. :wink:

I think to pay £165 for a retake on the SVA due to not having belts (a lot cheaper than retake) might be worth it. Also a quick thought can the car be SVA'ed with one seat and belt. That way you only need to buy one belt to pass??

tony-g 27th May 2005 12:35

if i remember correctly from when i was sva ing my last car. I you present you car with one seat it will be registered as a single seater and as such it would be illegal to carry a passenger.

one other tip if you fit a disabled knob on your sterring wheel ( the handle type for one handed operation) it removes a lot of the regulations for edges inside of the car

all the best
tony

Ex-Biker 27th May 2005 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by limpabit
It might be as Brian says. It's down to the inspector. Maybe a safe bet is get the car SVA'ed using belts then change them for harness. Or get the car SVA's down where Marlin get there's SVA'ed. :wink:

That's no problem, Exeter is the nearest station to me (87miles away)

I am hoping to get the car pre-sva'd with Marlin.

limpabit 27th May 2005 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony-g
if i remember correctly from when i was sva ing my last car. I you present you car with one seat it will be registered as a single seater and as such it would be illegal to carry a passenger.

Oh well worth an ask!!

Any idea what Marlin charge for this service of pre SVA? Got to try and work out if the cost is viable to trailer down etc (300 miles for me).

Cheers

John

holgate86 27th May 2005 16:08

sva retest

Hi guys,
SVA retest fee is only £30 so not an issue in scheme of things, and you have 6 months to rectify. Brian.

limpabit 27th May 2005 17:16

Ah that's ok. I was thinking it's another £165 for a retake.