Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Build Chat (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Clunk from rear suspension (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1838)

Tim Russell 14th August 2008 09:06

Clunk from rear suspension

I'm currently finishing off the build of my Edge Sportscars Devil and I have a problem.

On the rear right hand suspension we have an almighty clunk when we roll the car backwards or forwards. If I roll the car forwards, I hear the clunk once, and then not again until I roll the car backwards. Then once again I hear it once and then it's gone.

I have removed the driveshaft from the gearbox to eliminate that and the sound stays. I have placed my hand on several components around the rear suspension, and the clunk feels loudest (Yeah that is what i mean ;)) when I have my hand on the hub carrier.

Things I have done:

Remove complete suspension and place the hub carrier in the vice. I then used a bolt and bog washers to pre-load the bearing and checked for noises: Result none.

I have also remove the driveshaft with CV's (Non serviceable CV) and checked for free play / strange noises: result none.

Over the last few days I have had number of people round from the local kit car club and we are all stumped. There is no physical movement visable, but we do get a loud clunk.

Anyone here got any ideas?

Rear wheel bearing btw is a sealed Audi thing that is pushed into the housing and onto the drive flange with a press.

limpabit 14th August 2008 17:38

Not the balljoints???

peterux 14th August 2008 20:11

Brake pads or handbrake pads catching?
Wheel studs catching on caliper?

Patrick 14th August 2008 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterux (Post 12962)
Brake pads or handbrake pads catching?
Wheel studs catching on caliper?

Or brake calliper.

My front left calliper clunks because the spring on the pad has disappeared.

Tim Russell 15th August 2008 06:52

Click update

Thanks for the responses.

Last night I removed all unnecessary parts from the suspension (Brakes, cycle wing supports etc) so I only had top arm, bottom arm, shock and track control arm. The click was still there.

After this I changed the rose joints on all three points to make the track as narrow as possible, click was still there. I then extended all of the rose joints to give maximum track width, click got worse!

Last thing I did was wind the track control arm in and adjust the toe in/out. Click disappeared!

I don't have any measurement equipment except for the most basic so I can only assume that my wheel alignment was so far out I was loading the suspension up and the tire was skipping... Whadya think?

Patrick 15th August 2008 10:12

sounds like slop some where in the track control arm when it is extended. See if you can see / measure any wobble when the thread is extended would be my next move :)