Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   General chatter (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Safety? (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381)

richardh 3rd October 2005 13:51

Safety?

So my wife is still sceptical (all her family have driven Saab's for the last 15 years for their solidity and silence!)

How crash safe are these kit cars? I assume monocoque is safer than space frame? From looking at the chassis pics I'd assume similar construction and hence strength to a 1960's MG or similar.

You see my wife was happy when I used to drive a 1957 Morris Minor and doesn't think anything odd about a friends MGB, but she thinks a kit car is a death trap.

Discuss!

Ferg 3rd October 2005 16:18

Re-marry.

Strolls 3rd October 2005 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferg
Re-marry.

Dead right. And when you've done so read The Kit Car Manual (Haynes) by Iain Ayre.

He claims that a kit car is likely to be largely unscathed in an accident with a production car, which'll more likely be written off.

I'm not an experienced kit car builder so am unqualified to judge the accuracy of his statements, but I hope you find the reference useful.

Stroller.

vojx 5th October 2005 11:40

Crash 'n' burn man (I had a petrol tank in the front of mine).

The safety of modern cars is higher than kitcars - no kitcar manufacturer can crash test sufficiently, all he can do is estimate.

Low speed/ low energy crash, tintop or kitcar - you survive.
High speed/ high energy crash, tintop or kitcar - you die.

Always best to avoid accidents. :eusa_hand:

JG 6th October 2005 08:03

You've got to remember as well that the majority of kits are replicas (7's, cobras) so they are working in the confines of the original design.

Back then safety wasn't a top consideration so it stands to reason that they won't stand up so well in 'some types' of accident. I always felt vulnerable from the side for instance in the cobra. Take a 7 type car and a large 4x4 and you could probably kiss goodbye to your head if they came together in a certain way :eusa_sick:

It all depends on the accident I guess as to how you would come through it.

John

Madabout-Kitcars.com

richardh 6th October 2005 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by JG
You've got to remember as well that the majority of kits are replicas (7's, cobras) so they are working in the confines of the original design.
Madabout-Kitcars.com

Was thinking of more modern original cars rather than replicas. Ie the 5exi or Libra Spyder.

Incidentally I saw somewhere that Libra are going for EEC TUV approval - does this mean stricter standards closer to a normal production car?

Ferg 6th October 2005 16:53

Both the Spyder and Libra are now fitted with a door intrusion bar I believe.

JG 6th October 2005 17:18

I personally wouldn't buy a kit car if I was concerned over how it might behave in an accident. You just couldn't tell but would have to make a judgement call based on what you see in front of you.

I was going to see how TVR do in the NCAP ratings and take that as a guide but they don't appear to be listed.

I wouldn't have thought the likes of a Libra or 5exi would get any more than a 2 or 3 NCAP star rating, that's based on no factual basis at all, just a hunch and no amount of 'crumple zones' or 'side impact' protection bars a manufacturer might say their car has are going to be of any real use unless they can prove it's worthiness by doing various crash tests. ie a side bar might be there but is it strong enough? is it positioned right so as to not give you more of an injury than if it was not there in the first place. A manufacturer cannot matter of factly say this unless he can provide actual real life evidence.

If I wanted a safe car though I would go for a 5 star NCAP rated one. If I wanted incredible fun and driving pleasure on a budget I can afford and drive around in a beautiful car (ie cobra) then I would buy a kit car. I don't think the 2 go together and probably never will.

John

Madabout-Kitcars.com

richardh 6th October 2005 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by JG
If I wanted a safe car though I would go for a 5 star NCAP rated one. If I wanted incredible fun and driving pleasure on a budget I can afford and drive around in a beautiful car (ie cobra) then I would buy a kit car. I don't think the 2 go together and probably never will.

Couldn't agree more - its good to air the discussion, review the arguments.

Dan 6th October 2005 19:00

I wouldn't have thought any kit car is likely to get any stars at all in the NCAP tests.

Ferg 8th October 2005 07:21

I'm not sure about NCAP, but the Libra was definately designed with front impact in mind as displayed under the front clamshell. I also have photos of a fairly major (total write off, high speed) accident in which it faired quite well. Thing is, you can crash in a World Rally Car with a substantial roill cage, bucket seats and harnesses and still die..........