Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   General chatter (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Design study of my Trezetta (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6555)

Trezetta 22nd November 2017 11:55

Design study of my Trezetta

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
I’m a new Swedish member on this forum. Since I was a kid I’ve been drawing cars dreaming that one day I would build my own – and now is the time for it! My plan is to use my newly purchased BMW Z3 2.8 from 2000 as a donor car (you probably recognize the windscreen, doors and rocker panels). Just wanted to hear what you think about my sketches and if you have any thoughts about the project?

Cheers

Attachment 4808[ATTACH]Attachment 4809[/ATTACH]Attachment 4807

redratbike 22nd November 2017 15:46

looks great ,

styling certainly has a lot of different influences

have you tried the design with a rolled side sill just wondered what that would look like ?

Trezetta 22nd November 2017 16:54

Thank you!
I would say it's a blend och British, Italian and American grapes engineered i Germany ...

Good point with rounded side sills, I actually have som sketches of it but they are not ready yet. It's a work in progress – yesterday the car had a spoiler.

redratbike 22nd November 2017 19:30

Be great to see the build progress will it panels off and clad in foam to carve the new panels then make a splash mould or whatever?

DaveP 22nd November 2017 20:50

Liking the rear view quite a lot.

The front looks a bit MG which may be some people's taste but not mine personally.

Good work so far though :)

Dave

Trezetta 22nd November 2017 21:37

MG or Ferrari?

2 Attachment(s)
I'm actually planing to keep most parts of the bonnet and put foam and grp on it. But if I'm going to build more than one I'll make a mould.

I guess I haven't had the possibility to get tired of MGs here in Sweden ;-) I agree that it's got some MG in it but the inspiration comes mostly from Ferrari 250 GT (without the headlamp covers). When you look at the cars profile you can see that the headlamps are more recessed than they are on an MG. That is at least my intention.
Attachment 4812

Attachment 4813

Mitchelkitman 23rd November 2017 08:58

Very impressive - I'd like to have the ability to come up with that design.

Trezetta 23rd November 2017 16:02

What kind of smile?

5 Attachment(s)
Inspired by DaveP I started to question the look of the front of my car. To start with I realized that the proportions wasn’t right and didn’t mach the drawings I made of the side view of the car. So I extended the front a bit to get rid of the bulldog look, but I also borrowed some famous grilles to see what kind of expression they give. And now I would like to hear what you think – what kind of look should I go for?

The grilles come from
Ferrari 250
MGB
Aston Martin
Jaguar XK8
Maserati

Attachment 4815

Attachment 4816

Attachment 4817

Attachment 4818

Attachment 4819

Mitchelkitman 23rd November 2017 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trezetta (Post 92052)
Inspired by DaveP I started to question the look of the front of my car. To start with I realized that the proportions wasn’t right and didn’t mach the drawings I made of the side view of the car. So I extended the front a bit to get rid of the bulldog look, but I also borrowed some famous grilles to see what kind of expression they give. And now I would like to hear what you think – what kind of look should I go for?

The grilles come from
Ferrari 250
MGB
Aston Martin
Jaguar XK8
Maserati

My order of preference (best first)
Ferrari 250
Maserati
MGB
Aston Martin
Jaguar XK8

You could hit copy problems if you produced AM one to sell (though ok for one-off for yourself. Strangely the AM one doesn't 'gel' with the rest of the design as much as expected. Jag one just looks wrong.

froggyman 23rd November 2017 20:26

Maserati for me please, love the design and picture quality.

redratbike 23rd November 2017 20:45

Great work how about a nod to the donor with an old style split BMW grille
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...px-BMW_507.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...px-BMW_507.jpg

Trezetta 23rd November 2017 21:34

507 style

1 Attachment(s)
Not a bad idea! Tried it before but gave it up – but I think it works better with the integrated lights. I bit like the Z8 ... Ferrari is stil my favorit though.
Attachment 4820

Trezetta 23rd November 2017 22:05

New profile

1 Attachment(s)
Had to redesign the front on the side view to match my new sketches:

Attachment 4821

redratbike 24th November 2017 05:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trezetta (Post 92071)
Not a bad idea! Tried it before but gave it up – but I think it works better with the integrated lights. I bit like the Z8 ... Ferrari is stil my favorit though.
Attachment 4820

Turn the grill 180 degrees make it a happy face :-)

DaveP 24th November 2017 06:38

Wow. I'm so glad my critique was taken in the right spirit and that I helped :)

Loving the optional fronts approach you have. And very jealous of your PS skills.

As to which grill do I personally like it's a toss up between to split grill bmw inspired or actually the Aston like one.

Having the grill mirror the position of the headlamps is pleasing to the eye. Also as you have some great straight edges on the lines of the sides and back the grill looks better 'less round'

My terminology is crap so it makes sense. Well done so far though.

Dave

Trezetta 25th November 2017 07:37

Updates

3 Attachment(s)
Thank you! It's good to always give it a try – even if you don't believe in it you can learn something new ... (at least thats the approach I have to my clients:-)
I gave the Aston Martin grille another try. And since Ford pretty much copied it I found a Mondeo grille on ebay for 69 €, witch I spiced up with fog lights.

Attachment 4822

The front is still work in progress, but for now I will stick to the Ferrari (I love the classic 60´s style). So I illustrated a new version of it.

Attachment 4823

And also gave the round side sills a try – definitely more classic!

Attachment 4825

Mitchelkitman 25th November 2017 11:16

That's all good stuff - My personal preference (FWII) is the 'original' sill with either the Ferrari or BMW style grille. The BMW does give it a certain 'personality' that the other styles don't have. I can't put my finger on it (but I certainly couldn't do it myself).

Mitchelkitman 25th November 2017 11:20

If you ever get to production, maybe you could offer many different styles? The shape (apart from the tiny area near headlights) is in the bumper section, so if the 'tiny area near headlight' part is left intact it can be shaped with a file by the builder in order to blend to the grille shape (hope that makes sense).

Trezetta 25th November 2017 13:26

Thanks!

1 Attachment(s)
I promise you its worth a lot!

Interesting idea to be able to choose a front that fits your style. It's true that the grille is a part of the bumper so it could easily be done. I'll think about it when I start my car company :-)

And here is a mix of the Ferrari and the BMW. Being a Swede I can't help thinking about the Volvo Amazon (think it was called 121 in the UK). I also prefer the original sills, fits the wide fenders.

Attachment 4826