Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   MX5 Throttle bodies (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5882)

Drummajor 13th April 2016 15:23

MX5 Throttle bodies

Has any body fitted or have experience of fitting throttle bodies to the MX5 engine?
I'm thinking about it, that or turbo conversion anyway.
Any ideas greatly recieved .

306craig 13th April 2016 17:15

You've only just finished it (again), are you never content?

Drummajor 13th April 2016 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by 306craig (Post 77420)
You've only just finished it (again), are you never content?

Getting bored :)
Besides more power is good

molleur 13th April 2016 19:21

OBX and Jenvey Dynamics make complete kits over here with the OBX much less expensive. $1199.00 vs $799.00 for the OBX kit.

Ollie 13th April 2016 20:33

Go turbo.....
Look on youtube, thecarpassionchannel, Greg there has 2 turbo miatas, his high mile daily driver putting 276 BHP to the wheels on a 1.6 motor with stock internals.....!
Planning on boosting mine when funds allow.
Loads of info online, and a good place to go seems to be Skuzzle motorsport.
ollie.

Drummajor 13th April 2016 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ollie (Post 77439)
Go turbo.....
Look on youtube, thecarpassionchannel, Greg there has 2 turbo miatas, his high mile daily driver putting 276 BHP to the wheels on a 1.6 motor with stock internals.....!
Planning on boosting mine when funds allow.
Loads of info online, and a good place to go seems to be Skuzzle motorsport.
ollie.

Was at Skuzzle this afternoon.
They had a super charged mx5 and one with throttle bodies on. Can do the turbo or super charger conversion for about 3.5k all in !!
Throttle bodies are much cheaper

306craig 13th April 2016 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummajor (Post 77429)
Getting bored :)
Besides more power is good

Oh yes! Boredom bad. Power good! I have seen an MX5 on Fleabay with a Ford Probe (or its successor I can't remember the name, Couger?) coneversion. Can't remember the exact details but apparently is possible. Might be worth thinking about, and would give you more power combined with that lovely V6 growl?

Lucky@LeMans 13th April 2016 22:45

Get one of the USA conversion kits to fit the Small Block Ford V8 or LS Chevy. The LS7 is around 500 BHP as standard. Either way its a simple swop , you just need a set of spanners to do the swop.

Drummajor 14th April 2016 06:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 77448)
Get one of the USA conversion kits to fit the Small Block Ford V8 or LS Chevy. The LS7 is around 500 BHP as standard. Either way its a simple swop , you just need a set of spanners to do the swop.

Turbo or throttle body conversion ??

Roadster 14th April 2016 07:10

motorcycle throttle bodies and mega squirt ecu

Lucky@LeMans 14th April 2016 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummajor (Post 77452)
Turbo or throttle body conversion ??

Like you said , " more power is good " !

You might see a few BHP with throttle bodies , but that will be it .

redratbike 14th April 2016 19:54

If you want power it's either engine transplant,turbo or supercharger....as above throttle bodies will give you some but not loads more power.

Power = ££££

landmannnn 14th April 2016 20:16

Not that bad in £s

Turbo manifold and some pipework for the turbo oil (eg g19 Engineering) around £400
Steal a scooby turbo from your annoying neighbour
£100 for an intercooler and hoses
Megasquirt ecu and wideband should see change from £500.

Not much over a grand depending if you get caught stealing your neighbour's turbo or not.

Saying that, if you want to spend £4k doing the same there are plenty of more expensive options.

IanA 14th April 2016 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by 306craig (Post 77447)
...I have seen an MX5 on Fleabay with a Ford Probe (or its successor I can't remember the name, Couger?) coneversion. Can't remember the exact details but apparently is possible. Might be worth thinking about, and would give you more power combined with that lovely V6 growl?

And for a useful tuning tip with your Mazda MX-5 based kit- try one of these...
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...SCF2154a_1.jpg

...weighs 4kg less than the extant 4-banger and produces 200 ftlbs of torque low down- bolts on to a standard MX-5 gearbox- just needs an induction system that doesn't foul the bulkhead like these throttle bodies or bike carbs- a real no-brainer if you ask me.
Get one from a Mazda MX-6, 626, Xedos 6 or a 24v Ford Probe. Apparently the ones to go for are from automatics because they have limiters fitted and won't have been thrashed.