Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Miglia Builds and discussion (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   TRIBUTE AUTOMOTIVE take over the MIGLIA SPEEDSTER (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5732)

Tribute Automotive 20th December 2015 21:33

TRIBUTE AUTOMOTIVE take over the MIGLIA SPEEDSTER

Following discussions with Mike Hughes at Automotive GRP Solutions, Tribute Automotive will be purchasing the Miglia Speedster moulds and jigs. Production will start from 5th January 2016. Any changes to specification, design or pricing will be announced once the 1st kit has been produced in the Tribute workshop.

Mike has chosen to sell the Miglia Speedster moulds as he feels it no longer fits in will his core business at his extremely busy Automotive GRP Solutions company. Mike would like future customers to receive the service with regards to timescales of delivery that they deserve, but is less likely to achieve in the future due to his ever expanding business going in other directions.

Tribute Automotive will not be taking over any outstanding Miglia Speedster builds or supply of outstanding parts.

For more information call Chris at Tribute Automotive on 07901 544241 or email: info@tributeautomotive.co.uk

The Tribute website ( www.tributeautomotive.co.uk ) will be updated with Miglia detail soon and will absorb the existing www.migliasportscars.co.uk website in the near future.

More news on the TRIBUTE MIGLIA SPEEDSTER will follow in the New Year.

Paul L 20th December 2015 21:43

Tribute - Good luck with this Chris. :cool:

There does seem to be a lot of interest in the Miglia, so hopefully some certainty about production will help.

I'll update the various useful info threads with the news when I get the chance.

Cheers, Paul. :)

Tribute Automotive 20th December 2015 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul L (Post 73520)
Tribute - Good luck with this Chris. :cool:

There does seem to be a lot of interest in the Miglia, so hopefully some certainty about production will help.

I'll update the various useful info threads with the news when I get the chance.

Cheers, Paul. :)

Thank you as always for your selfless use of time to update the Tribute Info. You are racking up a good discount on your next kit!!

Paul L 21st December 2015 07:02

Chris - You are more than welcome & there is now an impressive collection of finished Tributes on display. :cool:

Seeing your various kits develop has really given me the confidence to tackle the numerous problems with my own kit.

E.g. This was my attempt to re-shape a rear wheel arch a few days ago, but I just wish I could work as fast as you and Dan.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-c...o/DSCF5048.JPG

Take care, Paul. :)

PS
Hopefully DaveCymru will be able to provide you with some useful feedback on the Miglia Speedster following his build.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...psdjia7nps.jpg

priceofhistoys 22nd December 2015 03:16

Good to see a company expanding. I would love a tribute kit one day to cruise the east coast of the US lol

davecymru 22nd December 2015 08:03

COOL!

Does this mean I'm being adopted? :)

OnePaintedMan 2nd January 2016 13:20

Any further updates on this? My New Years resolution was to build one of these so I'd like too know what's happening with pricing, specification changes and supply.

Tribute Automotive 2nd January 2016 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnePaintedMan (Post 73833)
Any further updates on this? My New Years resolution was to build one of these so I'd like too know what's happening with pricing, specification changes and supply.

I am collecting the Miglia moulds on Monday and we are producing a kit immediately. This will give us a chance to gauge production time and hence pricing, but it is unlikely to increase much, if any, above the £1950 that Mike was charging originally (he increased the kit price to £2300 on his website just before we came to a deal).

I have someone locally who will be building one, so will take that opportunity to assess the need for any changes/improvements, but until then the product will stay generally as Mike was producing it.

Please keep an eye on this Forum over the next two weeks for updates.

reneanglia 24th January 2016 06:24

It is 3 weeks already..................

EL PRIMER 26th January 2016 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by reneanglia (Post 74468)
It is 3 weeks already..................

Nothing wrong with your calendar reading ability then !!

reneanglia 26th January 2016 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by EL PRIMER (Post 74523)
Nothing wrong with your calendar reading ability then !!

Learned it at elementary school where i also learned to keep my word and promises..........:boink:
I'll guess Tribute is too busy....................:fish2:

Roadster 26th January 2016 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by reneanglia (Post 74525)
Learned it at elementary school where i also learned to keep my word and promises..........:boink:
I'll guess Tribute is too busy....................:fish2:

To be honest I haven't noticed Chris on for a while, although I know his mum is still recovering.
The workshop is busy and he has been working most Saturdays.
He is juggling lots of projects including the 275 and my mutant.

If you need info about the Miglia before the update arrives here I suggest you give him a ring.

reneanglia 26th January 2016 21:00

I don't need info before updates arrive,don't give him a ring,can understand if his mum is ill(just lost mine)and admire the Tribute crew for putting in the hours..........
My first post was only a way to see IF there was a update,El Primer responded sarcastic so i responded back.....
I still think chris had to post a small notice the updates will come at a later time,had cost him 1 minute of his precious time.
That's all,nothing more.
René

Tribute Automotive 26th January 2016 21:12

Now that the first Tribute Miglia body and panels have been produced (see below) we now know the labour and material costs involved. What we are still not sure of is the framework as the jig and an example frame have not yet been delivered by Mike's original subcontractor, hence the delay in updating details on this forum.

http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/...psb39qkqai.jpg

http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/...psbeon0lna.jpg

reneanglia 26th January 2016 21:49

Thay's the way to reply Chris!
Body looks nice,

swifty 1st February 2016 09:53

The shell looks great, looks to have a good finish and a ballanced look, i could be tempted for the next build.

Looking forward to see how this project devlops.

davecymru 3rd February 2016 08:08

The Shells do look good and it's it clear that all of the time and effort Mike put in to the design has paid dividends.

But that is standalone and i would suggest that based on my build experience, until Chris has the shell + frame + a-donor and had chance to evaluate the fit / alignment etc. to 'his' standards then we won't know what changes (if any) are needed to make this a Tribute product!

I know i shared my experiences in my build thread and i will talk to people 1-2-1 about my personal opinions, but it'll also be interesting to see what Chris finds out for himself :)

Roadster 3rd February 2016 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by davecymru (Post 74699)
The Shells do look good and it's it clear that all of the time and effort Mike put in to the design has paid dividends.

But that is standalone and i would suggest that based on my build experience, until Chris has the shell + frame + a-donor and had chance to evaluate the fit / alignment etc. to 'his' standards then we won't know what changes (if any) are needed to make this a Tribute product!

I know i shared my experiences in my build thread and i will talk to people 1-2-1 about my personal opinions, but it'll also be interesting to see what Chris finds out for himself :)

Very diplomatic Dave
So what you are saying is that while the Miglia is a more developed model than the Sammio, it still shares some of its traits :)

Triumph Special 4th February 2016 13:48

There seemed to be two Heralds being used as donors outside Mike's place today, though didn't see any GRP 'shells.

EL PRIMER 6th February 2016 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triumph Special (Post 74737)
There seemed to be two Heralds being used as donors outside Mike's place today, though didn't see any GRP 'shells.

Those two Heralds are actually Bisto34's next 2 projects . He has been commissioned to build 2 LHD Sammio's for a German guy and just happens to be in the unit next door but one to Mike .
He sourced 2 Heralds locally last week and I believe has found 2 s/hand Sammio bodies too .

EL PRIMER 6th February 2016 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by davecymru (Post 74699)

You are right Dave , the shells do look good . Shiney bodies always do .

I have to question the time and effort put in to the design though .

A little History lesson for you - Sammio were commissioned a few years back to build a Sammio on a Spartan chassis . The layout of the steering , pedals etc meant that a stock Sammio wouldn't fit . It was discovered though that a Cordite body fitted putting the cockpit in the right place but left a huge gap between bonnet and bulkhead. Gary J made the decision to lengthen the bonnet at the rear to give the vehicle a longer nose .
So at this point we have a Cordite bodied , longer bonneted Sammio with set back pedals and steering - all created by Sammio Motor Cars .
The customer took ownership , was happy with the design , but after a few months decided it wasnt going to get built , offering it back to Sammio as they may have been interested in finishing ...Mike bought it.
He then proceeded to perform his bodyworking skills and straighten most of it out , not everything as any Miglia builder will know , but made it a lot better than a Cordite . The portholes that had been pidgeonholed from the G46 project were added to the blank area of wing that looked too long and hey presto !!
The original Spartan chassis'd car is the one that reputedly sold in Germany for an awful lot of money a few years back .

So , time and effort put into straightening out , creating shiney moulds etc. - YES
Time and effort put into the design - NO

Mister Towed 7th February 2016 09:42

I know it's horses for courses but I've always had one big reservation about the Miglia version of the rebody concept, and that's the fixed bonnet.

Any car like this is going to need some fettling or modification, whether home built or turn-key from the maker. So far, in 30 months on the road I've had the engine out twice - once to fit a new clutch and once to fix an oil leak from the engine front cover plate - and I've replaced the radiator and changed the cam with the engine in-situ.

All that work was made particularly easy due to the fantastic access afforded by the clamshell bonnet, which can be completely removed in ten minutes for even better access if necessary. I was able to do a lot of the really fiddly stuff, particularly timing in the new cam, while sitting on the front wheels. Try dong that in a car without a clamshell front end!

I understand that there's quite a sizeable access panel in the Miglia bonnet, but I still maintain that an amateur mechanic (and even a lot of pros) are going to struggle to remove and refit an engine to a finished Miglia without damaging the paintwork, never mind the bad back you'll get leaning over the opening trying to access stuff in the engine bay.

You pays your money you takes your choice.

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/...psdkvfzrng.jpg

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/...psf99c4299.jpg

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/...pse9f0f30b.jpg

Oh, and I've sorted the wiring out since that last shot was taken, it's all properly loomed and the lights now have quick release connectors fitted.

Paul L 7th February 2016 09:43

Tribute - Apologies for the thread hi-jack below Chris, but the first Speedster body shell looks good. :cool:

My understanding from reading various Miglia build threads is that is is the internal framework than could do with some tweaks.
( Somewhere to mount the handbrake, relocate the pedal mounting plate, etc. )

Good luck, Paul. :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:

Originally Posted by EL PRIMER (Post 74781)
You are right Dave , the shells do look good . Shiney bodies always do .

I have to question the time and effort put in to the design though .

A little History lesson for you - Sammio were commissioned a few years back to build a Sammio on a Spartan chassis . The layout of the steering , pedals etc meant that a stock Sammio wouldn't fit . It was discovered though that a Cordite body fitted putting the cockpit in the right place but left a huge gap between bonnet and bulkhead. Gary J made the decision to lengthen the bonnet at the rear to give the vehicle a longer nose .
So at this point we have a Cordite bodied , longer bonneted Sammio with set back pedals and steering - all created by Sammio Motor Cars .
The customer took ownership , was happy with the design , but after a few months decided it wasnt going to get built , offering it back to Sammio as they may have been interested in finishing ...Mike bought it.
He then proceeded to perform his bodyworking skills and straighten most of it out , not everything as any Miglia builder will know , but made it a lot better than a Cordite . The portholes that had been pidgeonholed from the G46 project were added to the blank area of wing that looked too long and hey presto !!
The original Spartan chassis'd car is the one that reputedly sold in Germany for an awful lot of money a few years back .

So , time and effort put into straightening out , creating shiney moulds etc. - YES
Time and effort put into the design - NO

Really?

So Mike deserves no credit for the Miglia's design, because it is based on a long nose version of the Cordite that was designed by Gary and created by Sammio Motor Cars?

Which by your logic surely means that Gary J and Sammio Motor Cars should also be given the full credit for the time and effort that went into the design of the original Cordite too?
( See photo of Cordite moulds below. )

Rather than a history lesson, why don't you give us a honesty lesson regarding the number of different user names someone should have on the same forum?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-y.../IMG_00488.jpg

Tribute Automotive 7th February 2016 10:48

The very checkered history of Sammio/Ribble/Miglia is well documented and often repeated on this forum by many different people from many points of view and professional standpoints. I know that everyone is aware of the various "issues" that the Sammio/Miglia bodies have, which were made even worse in the case of the Ribble Navigator "make over" (I have Andy Powell's permission to destroy those body moulds, which are currently buried under a stack of other moulds at my workshop). Out of interest I will dig out the Ribble/Sammio moulds and put them next to the Miglia moulds and post some pictures up.

Having had the chance to look at a Miglia body first hand after producing one at the Tribute workshop, it is now clear to see honestly that it is what it is, a smoothed out stretched Sammio Cordite body with the flip front bonded on and a bonnet opening added. That said, after all the previous troubles and mud slinging in the past, it is very important to remember that it is (and always has been) possible to build a very good looking period sports car from a Sammio or Miglia kit, even without major alterations to the bodywork. There are many, many examples of finished cars on this very forum that show this. Mike Moore is now offering the Sammio Spyder bodies for sale too, there is still interest in the original Concept, and I believe as long as donors can be found there always will be.

As of Friday the Miglia frame jig (including a Basic Frame) was delivered to my workshop. When time allows I will assess what needs to be altered, if anything, and offer the Miglia Kits for sale at a price which I feel is realistic.

It's Sunday morning, time to relax.....

oxford1360 7th February 2016 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul L (Post 74796)
Rather than a history lesson, why don't you give us a honesty lesson regarding the number of different user names someone should have on the same forum?

Well said, Paul.

OnePaintedMan 4th November 2016 19:12

Any update on when kits will be available, pricing, etc?

Paul L 4th November 2016 20:34

As far as I know, kits are available now from Tribute, but I couldn't tell you the price.

I also know Chris @ Tribute is very busy, but there is no harm in giving him a ring / email / PM.

Contact details on the Tribute forum "next door".

Good luck, Paul. :)

lancelot link 5th November 2016 10:02

Bodies are available from Tribute as of now ...I believe they are £1600 but please check with Chris at Tribute .

The frames aren't available at the moment as the jigs wen't suitable to produce a frame Tribute were happy to offer ... I think Chris might be able to offer a frame similar to the original , but you need to speak to him really ....

OnePaintedMan 8th November 2016 17:04

Thanks for the info guys