Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marlin 5exi builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   A few quick questions (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231)

RossOliver 27th March 2005 23:21

A few quick questions

Hi,

I'm interested in building my first kit car throughout the rest of the year. I am set on the Marlin 5EXi since it appears to be aimed at the less experienced builders and I was wondering if you could help answer a few questions I have;

Do I need the donor car parts first, or can they be put in just as easily once the three packages have been put together?

Is the insurance on the 5EXi quite expensive compared to regular (non-kit car) cars? (as im only 18 and imagine insurance could be an inssue...im looking at the 1400/1600cc engines)

Are all the head lights/brake lights etc supplied in one of the packages, or do you get these seperatly from the donor car/brand new?

How safe are these cars to drive...am i correct in thinking the exterior panels are all fiberglass?

Thanks for your time :)

-Ross

tomboysexi 28th March 2005 08:03

Possible EXi

Hi Ross,

You are not alone in building your first kit car, from reading the posts on here I would say it's a 50 50 split on the current builders.

Sounds like you have come to the same conclusion, good looking car combined with the Marlin reputation.

Being a kit you do what you want, when you want. Most of us are desperate to get the car on the road so needed the donor from the outset. Coming to think of it I would suggest you get at least the running gear ready for the chassis.

The three stage build can not really be completed before the donor, it's not a matter of building the outer and then adding the innards.

On the matter of Insurance, it depends on many factors but I can only tell you my own. I telephoned one of the big kit car insurers and gave my details and the fact that my 20 year old son would be a named driver. I was advised that they would only insure in my sons name with me as a named driver. Martin drives a 3 year old Seicento and pays a grand a year for the privilage.

I was delighted when the insurers came up with £450.00 for the 1.6 EXi. So why are we doing the 2 litre turbo? Well thats only £500.00.

Not bad for a stylish sports car, with some oomph.

Lights and brakes, brakes from the donor and lights are supplied by Marlin or you can outsource them. I have gone for silver 'angel eyes' a little expensive but it's a kit, it's up to me.

Safety, yes the panels are all GRP but take a look at the chassis, it's strong and sturdy. I drive a Zafira but would rather face an impact in the EXi.

As for driving the car, so far I have managed 50 yards and that was such a thrill. Everyone tells me that providing you have been thorough wilth the build and checked and rechecked everything and it's a dry day I should be able to keep the car in a straight line. No seriously the drive is supposed to be as good as the looks.

Good luck and welcome aboard, you will find many other people on this site who can advise and assist with your build.

One question from me, where are you in the country? I am in Romford Essex.

Regards Trev

RossOliver 28th March 2005 12:59

thats for the reply, helped alot and im gob smacked about the insurance! I wont be in any great rush to get the car finished...well, i would like to be in a great rush - but i have to earn the money as i go :cry: ...i intend to build the car over the rest of the year so i better get started searching for a donor down at my local scrap yard...and i live in Carlisle, Cumbria...

-Ross

limpabit 28th March 2005 15:49

Hi Ross.

There is another 5EXI builder doing a 1.4 one because of the insurance for a young driver. I'm sure Marlin could put you in touch.

The best bet for you if your going the 1.4/1.6 route is get a "bubble" donor. This is my first kit and only have a limited mechanical knowledge but my thoughts were there's only one way to learn!!!

There's a story to be told about how strong the chassis is. Mark from Marlin got hit at 65 mph from a production car. The 5EXI and Mark lived to tell the tale. The production car was a completed write off.

HTH.

John

RossOliver 28th March 2005 16:01

well that puts my mind at rest about safety :biggrin: ...now i just need to find myself a good donor, anyone know any websites where they sell cars which have been in accidents?

-Ross

RossOliver 28th March 2005 16:23

well i've browsed autotrader for a few minutes and i came across this:

click

I'm not sure how suitable it is - i dont even know the engine size, but for £400 inc 4 alloys and 5 new tyres its looking good...i dont understand how its 'spares or repair' yet its taxed and MOT'd? :confused: ...ill give the guy a ring to get a little more info on the engine size/miles etc...

I am right in thinking that the 5EXi accepts any rover 200 engine, be it petrol or deisel though, right?

Thanks,

-Ross

limpabit 28th March 2005 16:45

Hi Ross.

This is the donor Which Kit car user in there 5EXI series. Will need a couple of bits from a 216 bubble donor but that's about it. I think it might be a 1.8 engine. But get some more info and HPI checked!!

MikeN 28th March 2005 18:47

Hi ross,

regarding the Vi, well this is probably the best route to go for the Rover K series engine option. It is a Rover 200 with the 1.8 VVC (variable valve control) engine as used on the MGF, MG TF and MG ZR160.

In that form it puts out 142 BHP, but with a 52 mm throttle body and uprated air filter it will be approx 165 BHP. Maening a power to weight of approx 300 per Tonne. ie very fast.

I have plumbed for nearly the same doner car but a little newer, a Rover 25 GTI.
Be careful though to ascertain the condition of the engine, older variants usually blow the head gasket. Not a major problem if it was caught early enough. Though at worse it can mean a new head.
You would be looking to renew the HG anyway along with the cam belt(s). Which is not a major undertaking and adds to your knowledge of cars and engines.
If you do go that route let me know as I have the Genuine Rover build and reapir manuals (upto year 2001) on CD-rom and would be happy to send you a copy of it.

I pick up my kit soon from Marlin soon (have been and still delayed with the garage build) and this is my first foray into kit car building.

Go on do it you will have loads of fun and end up with a fantastic car that is very quick and the envy of your friends.

In fact because of the insurance situation with your age, buy the Rover Vi, and then you can buy seperately and very cheaply a 1.4 K series engine (104 BHP) and install that. This would be still quicker than 99% of the cars on the highway PTW 190 per tonne. Just check out the weight of most cars!
You can run up a years no claims bonus with the 1.4 installation, learn the handling of the car then put in the VVC engine which you will have then rebuilt.

Sound like a good plan even if I say so myself.

Mike.N
:eusa_clap:

RossOliver 28th March 2005 19:51

thanks for all the info Mike :biggrin: ...i think i will go for the 200 Vi if it doesnt have too many miles on the clock...but if it does i've found a nicely trashed up Rover 200 BRM [here]...a little newer, 1999 which looks perfect...just waiting for the guy to get back to me about the price :biggrin: (which i recon will be a little too much)

-Ross

Ex-Biker 28th March 2005 19:55

Why can people find so many nice donors around?

Couldn't find a 1.8 for love nor money when I was looking.

RossOliver 28th March 2005 23:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ex-Biker
Why can people find so many nice donors around?

Couldn't find a 1.8 for love nor money when I was looking.

google is your friend :biggrin:

I found another website that might interest people that don't like the idea of stripping the donor;

Arden Car Parts

I've sent them an email with the list of components I need so i'll let you know what they have to say...

-Ross

kilmo 29th March 2005 00:19

bubble

hi im new to the forum as well, ( well i have been reading posts on here for the past few months ) im concidering the 5EXI as my first build too, i visited the factory last weekend with my girlfiend, and seeing it in the flesh just made us fall in love with it, anyways....Back to topic...

ross posted a link to this car http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD...a?id=163116397

limpabit mentioned Which Kit car used one of these in there 5EXI series. but "Will need a couple of bits from a 216 bubble donor but that's about it."

isnt that car (pictued) a 216 bubble? or is that onother car? or do you mean only a few bits from that car is needed?

thanks for you help!

kilmo 29th March 2005 00:29

even more confused now! been on google and the 216 + 214 + 200 all look the same, can some one explain :confused: :eusa_angel:

MikeN 29th March 2005 01:29

Kilmo,

they do indeed look all the same. Rover 216 because that is what Mark at Marlin used to design and build his K series 5exi (another version uses the 'T' series 220 BHP Turbo engine).
Therefore you will need the gear linkage off the 216 and the rear hub assemblies to use on the front wheels.
Now this is where I get a little unstuck myself as i have the 218 VVC and don't know if i can use my rear hub assemblies (I know I can't use the gear linkage as it is different).
Other than that everything else is off the 'Bubble' 200 or th eRover 25.

Hope this helps.

Mike.N

MikeN 29th March 2005 01:36

Ross, another thought re the BRM. You might indeed get the parts that you from this at a good price. It is obviously a catergory 'B' as it says parts only. The interor off this is worth the most (BRM's are rare and valuable) as people like to turn Rover Vi's into BRM's.
You just need the mechanicals.
Also the BRM version has a better gear box with inbuilt limited slip differential and close ratio gears.

Good luck

Mike.N

RossOliver 29th March 2005 07:55

ah thats Mike...might be worth just asking for the parts off the guy instead of the whole car then - dont want to pay for something im not gonna use...

-Ross

kilmo 29th March 2005 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeN
Kilmo,

they do indeed look all the same. Rover 216 because that is what Mark at Marlin used to design and build his K series 5exi (another version uses the 'T' series 220 BHP Turbo engine).
Therefore you will need the gear linkage off the 216 and the rear hub assemblies to use on the front wheels.
Now this is where I get a little unstuck myself as i have the 218 VVC and don't know if i can use my rear hub assemblies (I know I can't use the gear linkage as it is different).
Other than that everything else is off the 'Bubble' 200 or th eRover 25.

Hope this helps.

Mike.N

thanks for that, i will be on the lookout for a 1.6 216 then, thank you