Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Build Chat (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   MG Europa (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5346)

andysharrock 22nd March 2015 09:40

MG Europa

3 Attachment(s)
following on from hammy I have been wanting to build a Europa ish look alike so I have bought the panels off hammy bought a donor car and set about it yesterday so here is ware I am at so far. 1998 1.8i with good service and it had the head sorted nice drive loads of grunt.

Attachment 2156

Attachment 2157

Attachment 2158

andysharrock 22nd March 2015 09:46

not much left of the europa

3 Attachment(s)
here is whats left of the panels not a lot but enough to give me some direction
the front looks almost right for the car bit more tinkering to do.I have held the back end in place and the lines are looking good.

Attachment 2159

Attachment 2160

Attachment 2161

going to have to work on the bonnet its going to have a big bump to get over the wiper cowl

Danny_HUFC 22nd March 2015 11:10

Looks like the front could work. Good luck with the rear.

Paul L 22nd March 2015 17:41

Andy - This should be an interesting build.

At least Chris and Dan have shown what can be achieved after cutting & shutting bits of fibreglass together. :cool:

Good luck, Paul. :)

andysharrock 22nd March 2015 17:56

Sunday update

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 2162

Attachment 2163

Attachment 2164

Attachment 2165

its roughly taking the shape once the back end is filled out and blended in it should look the part rather than a combination of bits screwed together. think I am going buy shares in fibreglass by the time its smooth and blended.
planing a flip front so I have just filled in the bonnet ready to glass over

Hammy 24th March 2015 16:02

Really impressed so far mate, just be wary of the rear overhang but I'm sure you know that. Following this with interest

andysharrock 29th March 2015 19:46

Rear end taking shape

4 Attachment(s)
I spent all day yesterday working on the rear end it looked grate from behind but bluddy awful from the side, full days work took half hour to trash and start again. Think this time I have got it gong the right way need to work on the wheel arches and around tops of door glass to make up.Attachment 2177
first attempt ditched this morning:frusty:

second attempt
Attachment 2178

Attachment 2179

Attachment 2180

garyh 29th March 2015 20:01

Alright as a pick up...

Jeffr4 30th March 2015 20:23

So far , so good, aslong it will not remind me on the Datsun
http://i58.tinypic.com/351hhlf.jpg

AcC8braman 30th March 2015 21:31

You have some skills there.

just my 2 pence worth, thinking the MG is going to be a bit too high for the Europa style. Have you thought of using a Fiat X19?

Hammy 31st March 2015 19:24

Hard work

I know I 'failed' but the rear and the height is why I went with the MX as a donor mate and even that was hard enough the MR2 roadster would've been my next stop. The MG will be a challenge but keep on going mate cos if you make it work I'll be 1st in the queue for a kit!

andysharrock 31st March 2015 22:03

cheers hammy the cars at the ugly duckling stage but give me a few weeks to get some glass on it, up close it looks ok if you can see passed what I am trying to achieve big wheels with low profile tyres and lower the arse a bit . all babies are born dam ugly but some do turn into page 3 girls. I am trying,
I tip my hat to the tribute guys its not as easy as it looks.

andysharrock 31st March 2015 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcC8braman (Post 65126)
You have some skills there.

just my 2 pence worth, thinking the MG is going to be a bit too high for the Europa style. Have you thought of using a Fiat X19?

I went for the mgf as its cheap and plentiful, a half decent x19 would be a arm and a leg now days and are getting like hens teeth. getting a donor car that ticks all the boxes will never happen at least this way if it works great 250 quid for a donor car if not I can recoup my costs in breaking the car. to get it that low would be something like a triumph spitfire again hens teeth. its will never be copy but a looky likey well from the front anyway with a modern twist to the rear

Paul L 1st April 2015 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by andysharrock (Post 65183)
...I tip my hat to the tribute guys its not as easy as it looks...

Funny you should say that, as I found "cut & shut" work a lot harder in practice than Chris & Dan make it look. :rolleyes:

Keep at it, as the whole point is not to create a perfect replica and you will certainly end up with a unique car in the end. :cool:

Good luck, Paul. :)

PS
I still can't believe you got a working car for £250! :eek:

andysharrock 5th April 2015 18:44

quick update

5 Attachment(s)
started to get some glass on one side, made up the missing wing top and laid to coats of 450g csm to give me something to sand back and smooth out. I watched a YouTube of a guy from ozz building a mg flip front he used a dry wall filler to smooth out the wings before tacking a mould off.as its not structural what I am doing as just mocking up to take a mould off I thought that I would try the same with a diy filler any one got a recommendation, easy sand car filler at 15qud a pot is a bit rich to cover the hole car. just looking at the side on pic think some side skirts would look good.:plane:Attachment 2201

Attachment 2202

Attachment 2203

Attachment 2204

Attachment 2205

Tribute Automotive 5th April 2015 21:26

Great progress Andy. We have experimented with various materials for bulking out bucks. We used Builders Finish plaster mixed with grp resin to shape the panels on the Z300S buck (see WCA's build tread 3), it's only £4 per 25kg bag, you do need to shape it's whilst it's just going off otherwise it's a little hard to sand. The Drywall filler sounds like a good idea as it does sand easily.

andysharrock 5th April 2015 22:40

hi from what I have seen on the youtube clip it sands down very easy with wet and dry. skip the first bit he starts with a bumper then dose the flip front https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXzR17LktSg. I am going to have a look at different options so I will come back to you if I find a good one. I am all for taking the hard work out of the prep work and cost if we can

Mistrale 6th April 2015 07:55

For my ten penneths worth, I think bigger wheels and arches will go some way to reducing the slab sided look. I think once the paint is on, it will also look much more coherent. Having played with tiny amounts of fibreglass, my hat is doffed to you sir for a great effort so far :)

andysharrock 6th April 2015 22:11

thanks. I agree with the wheels and I am keeping a eye out for some wide 17s problem I have is mg are a odd ball fitments. going to work on some side skirts and also cut and drop the front valence a little. and yes paint makes the car when its ten different colours you have to be able to have the vision of what could be, or just stand and shake your head like the wife.

Hammy 7th April 2015 16:20

Good work Andy

a big scary monster 7th April 2015 22:56

http://www.diy.com/departments/gypro...g/35736_BQ.prd
Try that its very much like a good quality powder interior filler to sand once its properly dry but be warned its a pig to sand before hand, and 5mm depth takes 2 days to dry and that's inside on a plasterboard ceiling, not all smaller b&qs stock it I would mix a little PVA into the water too to help it stick and be less porous, I will be using it tomorrow I will do a test on something and stick it in the garage see how long it takes to set and if its up to the job. Ed/

andysharrock 9th April 2015 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by a big scary monster (Post 65471)
http://www.diy.com/departments/gypro...g/35736_BQ.prd
Try that its very much like a good quality powder interior filler to sand once its properly dry but be warned its a pig to sand before hand, and 5mm depth takes 2 days to dry and that's inside on a plasterboard ceiling, not all smaller b&qs stock it I would mix a little PVA into the water too to help it stick and be less porous, I will be using it tomorrow I will do a test on something and stick it in the garage see how long it takes to set and if its up to the job. Ed/

cheers going shopping tomorrow so I will try my local builders merchants see what they can come up with any thing worth trying will add it to the post

andysharrock 9th April 2015 21:36

picky update

5 Attachment(s)
had a few days off work so been on the car, front valence cut off and lowered started to blend back in the grill gap I did not like so I am going to blend it and look for a grill to cut in latter. other wing made up and the complete front end will now lift off. its going to need a lot of filler to smooth the bonnet but I will get there the resin got to the polystyrene.
starting to glass the roof and drivers door so all been well for Sunday the complete back end should be removable to work on.

Attachment 2221

Attachment 2222

Attachment 2223

Attachment 2224
last pic the sun was shining on my toys so it would be rude not to take a pic
Attachment 2225

a big scary monster 10th April 2015 17:54

Why does stuff look better when the suns out? Nice green BTW, not convinced by my filler trails, its very very brittle and the paint just sinks in coat on coat, get some Polly filler powder and try yourself but I wouldn't fancy putting the effort in when it could go very wrong whilst molding ?

andysharrock 12th April 2015 17:06

not all things look better in the sun should see the mother in law not a pretty site even with the sun making you squint. did you try a plaster sealer or even pva. from experience of trying to cover damp marks in ceilings oil base paint always works and seals it ware as a water base will always show the mark.

andysharrock 12th April 2015 17:17

quick pic update

4 Attachment(s)
The weather turned bad so I did not get as much dune as I hoped, but the roof has now got glass on the engine opening has been formed and the engine lid is on the way. still need to buy some filler always something

Attachment 2244

Attachment 2246

Attachment 2247

a big scary monster 12th April 2015 20:47

No I pretty much destroyed the samples I did for you whilst seeing if I thought they where too brittle, I can mess about with some more tomorrow for you if you like, if i where you I'd use standard car filler for the large areas that you can flat easy with a da or random orbit sander and maybe try a powder household filler on the intricate bits. Ed

andysharrock 13th April 2015 20:09

I was thinking something on the lines of the gyproc filler you said mixed one to one with a board finish plaster. it should give working time of a good 40mins then set hard but sandable. end of the day it only has to last as long as it takes to take a cast off.

a big scary monster 13th April 2015 20:51

It would work fine if there was absolutely no movement or flex in the surface underneath maybe add some bracing. You could also use a matt emulsion paint with a foam roller once working to the final finish, this is fantastic to sand and gives a very smooth finish, but I would be in fear of having 50 hours sanding and paint prep ready for molding then a slight knock or tweak and chunks of filler start flaking off. Have you priced up 2 part body filler from a local paint factors? The one I use has good prices on bulk.
In the car design houses they used to make life size mock ups from clay I wonder if they ever considered curing them and taking molds. Ed.

andysharrock 13th April 2015 21:07

hi yep I did price and buy some easy sand car filler 15quid off ebay delivered for a 3 kilo tin.I am a bit torn what to do for the best easy sand filler is a lot of work and a lot of cost. so I do think the diy filler has got to be tried easy to sand and shape maybe add some pva to the mix .
The engine cover is the one part that can be reused after a mould has been taken so that I will properly.

andysharrock 26th April 2015 19:51

well that's the car plastered

4 Attachment(s)
I've come up with what seems to be a good easy sand bulk filler 1 to 1 plaster board joint cement and board finish mixed with a good blob of pva and a hand full of cement to aid the setting time. it mixes up well and has the same texture as normal body filler sands really well when bone dry give it a good coat of pva it sets like rock. be warned only pva after you finished sanding other wise it dam hard work. After some thought I have changed the rear end of the car I was just not happy so see if you can tell the difference.

Attachment 2282

Attachment 2283
I pulled the rear end off to flip it over to glass around the window
Attachment 2285

andysharrock 26th April 2015 20:09

rear end all change

5 Attachment(s)
started with the new filler mix nice day to plaster a car out in the sun you can watch it dry in a semi warm garage you would be looking to days to dry out fully
Attachment 2287

Attachment 2288
before and after you can see I have stared to flatten out the wing the bonnet is not quite dry enough .
Attachment 2289

Attachment 2290

Attachment 2291
you can just see the new body lines they now follow through front to back just need sanding out, good thing about this filler pile it on and sand it back with shape. it dose look rough at the mo but I sanded the roof off in less than a hour so a good day will make a big difference.

a big scary monster 26th April 2015 23:14

Looking better, you are going to have a large pile of dust before long, I told you its a pillock of a job to sand joint filler when is not quite dried out, I had to do a whole wall last week that still had a that beige tint too it after many days, your going to have your work cut out in the symmetry department though. Ed.

andysharrock 27th April 2015 11:04

it dry s out pretty quick when in the sun you could fill and sand within a couple of hours even in the garage over night just about ok. as it a not a porous surface and with a bit of cement it speeds up the drying time.

8 Valve Ed 27th April 2015 11:17

Can't you use something like a cheese grater or a coarse angle grinder disk to take off the rough surface and get back to near the desired shape? Neither of this would clog and once the surfaced is roughed out it would dry a bit quicker.

As builder I would be sacked for plastering as roughly as that... We get a perfect (well nearly!) surface off the trowel. Perhaps you need a plasterer?

andysharrock 27th April 2015 11:33

nay problem when its dry sands very easy problem I had the car was parked in full sun to dry it quick. all good but meant it skinned over so trying to float it over just pulled it. think thick tile adhesive then try to trowel it out smooth. A good rasp file would work but course grit sand paper works well just has to dry so it dose not clog.

a big scary monster 27th April 2015 19:25

Cheaper than body filler though just don't flex it, my venture with the joint compound was my first and last use of dry lining, I can't really see the benefits its quicker to plaster in fact I have put up skimmed and painted 2 other ceilings and I'm still messing about trying to get an even paint finish on the dry lined one.plus I quite like plastering, I will be interested to see how the paint seals with your mix, hope you get a good finish for the mold, you could make all sorts of back ends that would suit your new nose. Ed

BazMason 10th May 2015 09:13

I know you have a 250 swb on the way Andy, but have you made any progress on this mate?

andysharrock 10th May 2015 09:37

been mega busy with the show last weekend few bits to do on the gto today then I will be back on it, smoothed it out a bit will add some pics latter . nice to see someone is interested thanks

garyh 10th May 2015 19:04

I'm interested too... I want to see what you come up with.