Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Tribute Z3gato (?!!) (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6466)

peterux 17th November 2017 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanA (Post 91847)
Worth getting a "Diagnostic Tool for BMW OBD2 Car Airbag Scan/Oil Service/Inspection Light Reset" currently £6.99 on eBay.

I have a few OBD scan devices but haven't had much luck on my 1999 car. Lots of communication errors. They do show up issues though and enable easy erasure of the fault codes.

I have the full OPCOM setup on a laptop for my Vauxhall but haven't got the BMW software yet.

IIRC the BMW M52 and M54 engines are not fully OBD2 compliant.

I invested in a Peake Research code reader and it works brilliantly. A bit pricey but well worth it. Secondhand ones do come up on ebay as people trade up to newer cars.
http://www.peakeresearch.com/

Anyone near J9 on the M1 is welcome to pop in and have their codes read :lol:

Jaguartvr 17th November 2017 13:44

Does it read the ABS codes on the round plug under the bonnet?
I just can't find a reader that will read them.

IanA 17th November 2017 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident (Post 91848)
Diagnostic Tool for BMW OBD2 Car Airbag Scan/Oil Service/Inspection Light Reset" Check the connecter under the bonnet!...

My MY2000 car has various wiring idiosyncrasies (for that model only) and has both under-dash "D" and under-bonnet "O" sockets. I have an adapter so can hook up the scanners to either. Similar results though.

IanA 17th November 2017 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaguartvr (Post 91849)
... The answer is here

http://techiesexpedition.blogspot.co...-2-liters.html
It seems the facelift cars are in between the two types of diagnostic.

Useful info- it explains why the auto electrician trying to trace the probs with my hazard flashers yesterday couldn't see all of the modules- he thought something was more seriously wrong. At least he didn't charge because of it...

Jaguartvr 17th November 2017 14:53

Did you replace the flasher unit, cheap 2nd hand on eBay, expensive used.
I toasted mine, opened it up but rather than being a flasher unit it is a proper circuit board.

Barber 17th November 2017 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 91850)
I've still got my oil light coming on from time to time. I changed the oil and filter which sorted it for a short time but its coming on again now. Usually after driving it hard for a few miles it will come on. If I stop the car and turn the ignition off and restart, the light won't come on again for the rest of the trip ! I've always been happier with an oil pressure gauge than a light, preferably a mechanical gauge too !

Whoops, :thumb:

Barber 17th November 2017 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterux (Post 91844)
The brake warning light probably just means your brake pads have worn down to the wear indicator. Quite easy to check depth of pads visually and changing pads is a fairly straight forward job. I think the warning triangle is just to attract your attention to a fault or warning.
New pads should sort it but worth checking the condition of the disks as they are fairly inexpensive parts.

If your planning on keeping the car then a Bentley Publishers workshop manual is a great investment.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BMW-Z3-Serv.../dp/0837616174

Great, thanks for the information and the tip.

Barber 17th November 2017 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaguartvr (Post 91846)
+1 on the pads just being worn down, check the fronts first as they wear much more quickly than the rears. Worn pads shouldn't light up the warning triangle. I find that mine lights up quite regularly this time of the year, it's just the wheels spinning on slippery roads, I find it happens much more now that I have higher profile tyres.

Don't worry too much about the service lights, but if you haven't already done it, change the oil. First thing to always do on a new car. The previous owner probably won't have done it it prior to selling and if he has probably has used a cheaper oil.
I always change my oil annually, I don't do great mileages but tend to change the oil at every MOT so I remember when it is done. Everything else I tend to leave until a warning light comes on or it breaks apart from checking the water level.

I have been speccing up a DIY kit utilising the top syphon pump. I know is uses an extra couple of litres of oil, but it means I won't have to be scrabbling around under the car. However, if the front break pads need changing, then I may have to get it up on some ramps. Is there really an issue about front skirt clearance with the Z3?

Barber 17th November 2017 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanA (Post 91847)
Worth getting a "Diagnostic Tool for BMW OBD2 Car Airbag Scan/Oil Service/Inspection Light Reset" currently £6.99 on eBay.

I have a few OBD scan devices but haven't had much luck on my 1999 car. Lots of communication errors. They do show up issues though and enable easy erasure of the fault codes.

I have the full OPCOM setup on a laptop for my Vauxhall but haven't got the BMW software yet.

For that price, it is definitely worth a punt.

Jaguartvr 17th November 2017 15:29

I always use a syphon pump, makes changing the oil a breeze. Doesn't use any more oil, will start syphoning when the container is empty.
No problem to get most jacks under the side jacking points.

peterux 17th November 2017 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterux (Post 91844)
The brake warning light probably just means your brake pads have worn down to the wear indicator. [/url]

I should have mentioned that it might just be the brake fluid being too low?

Jaguartvr 17th November 2017 22:13

If the brake pads have worn the brake fluid will be low. As soon as you fit the new pads the brake fluid will go back to normal level.
I tend to look at the brake fluid level to guage how worn the pads are without scrabbling under the car.

IanA 18th November 2017 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaguartvr (Post 91858)
Did you replace the flasher unit, cheap 2nd hand on eBay, expensive used. I toasted mine, opened it up but rather than being a flasher unit it is a proper circuit board.

Yes- changed the relay and the console switch. Next job- change the indicator switch.

WorldClassAccident 18th November 2017 15:15

If anyone wants to borrow the round under bonnet connecter, i have a basic one in Southampton I use to reset service and oil lights.

Barber 20th November 2017 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barber (Post 91763)
One of the style features I liked from the various marques, is the dual filler caps on the Astons. A little bit of an extravagance, but worth it I think. Obviously the nearside one doesn't have to function, and the offside one is lockable, and has the through funnel.

Now I have to get the boring gubbins on the underside, based on JagTVRs work. On the Astons, the filler caps are slightly further back than on the 250 SWBs so not sure if that will have an impact. I'll have to discuss with Chris.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2u3y7n9.jpg

These are Mocal ones from Burton Power, £258 for the pair.

Wheels and tyres next most likely, as Chris needs them for when the panel work commences after Christmas. I should be getting the dashboard to be fitting during December.

All the advise about getting the donor in good time is well given. On Saturday morning, after a heavy night's rain, and light drizzle on the way to meet up with an old schoolpal, I discovered a very soggy floor mat on the driver side. I should have guessed something was amiss when the seller threw in a very nice car cover when I bought the car.

It looks like it is the windshield cowl, there is a 2mm gap at the centre for a stretch of several inches. In searching for remedies, came across Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure, which caused much hilarity amongst friends and family.

I don't think I will have to take the cowl off, one posting says you can use a putty knife to get under the cowl and insert the nozzle of a non silicone sealant. Whilst I wait for samples of both that and the Captains remedy (I couldn't resist) to arrive, - black gaffer tape to the rescue. I am not proud.

Sadly, the containers of Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Remedy do not have such a lurid description on the label. Ah well, that is the joke Christmas present idea out of the window. I have just ordered marine fuel pipe and bends, with a short stretch of stainless steel pipe to assemble the new fuel line "a la JagTVR". And waiting on quotations for wheels and tyres - I am going the ericholm route here.

Barber 21st November 2017 10:53

brake warning light

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaguartvr (Post 91886)
If the brake pads have worn the brake fluid will be low. As soon as you fit the new pads the brake fluid will go back to normal level.
I tend to look at the brake fluid level to guage how worn the pads are without scrabbling under the car.

It looks like the front brake pads are iffy, as suggested. The brake fluid level is fine. The car came with a bunch of repair and maintenance invoices, and it looks like the pads front and rear have been replaced in the past, but not for some time.

I aim to do some work on the car this week - but this is only maintenance type stuff, not to do with the rebuild. Once the fuel pipework comes in, I will commence trial fitting the pieces, so expect a request for more advice. :icon_smile:

Barber 27th November 2017 17:04

Re-fuelling system

Now I have all of the bits except the petrol resistant sealant, that should arrive in the next couple of days. The rivnut tool arrived today.

I also ordered a pair of black defrost vents (the little triangular ones on the top near the quarterlights). They are really difficult to find. As my interior trim is tan, and I want the dash to be black, I had to find these vents to fit into the new dash front piece that Chris is going to make for me very soon.

Barber 9th December 2017 11:44

Dashboard

I decided to buy a black dashboard as my interior is babypoo beige. £75 plus delivery off fleabay. Hopefully I can get something similar for mine when i remove it. I just need chris to make my new dash front so i can crack on.

The delivery driver thought it must be a mummy.
http://i65.tinypic.com/ojdpjr.jpg

Here are pics of the top and bottom for anyone thinking of doing something on their dash.
http://i68.tinypic.com/30m00a8.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/9unjbl.jpg

Getting this means that I can paint the new front instead of covering it if I want to.

My consul is brushed aluminium, so if I get Rover 75 seats, I could use the leather off the rear seats to re-trim the consul sides.

I will likely replace the door cards with black (if i want arm rests) and could use the rear seats as per above to re-trim the insert panels on the door cards if need be. It give me wider choice on parts sourcing, and hopefully better prices.

I am great at planning ......... I will soon have to actually do something.

Barber 21st December 2017 12:06

Parts

The front brakes and discs on the Z3 are now sorted. I have been slow to get around to identifying the battery drain issue, though it isn't the boot light as I left the bulb out after last time. It happened again whilst i was away for last week. I will have to get one of the solar charges that was suggested previously as well.

I have received the coil overs (I have the spacers already), and am waiting for delivery of the Calibre Vintage wheels (today - after shenanigans with Parcelforce) so after Christmas I can get the tyres fitted, then get them down to Chris. The panels can then be modified to suit. I'll get the coil overs fitted to the front before taking the car down to be re-panelled.

Chris has begun the work to covert the Frari type dash to my re-design, not a lot to show at present. Panelwork for the new buck should commence in January. More to come then.
http://i64.tinypic.com/28hllkx.jpg

Jaguartvr 21st December 2017 13:45

Dash looks interesting, retro but making an easier job by keeping the central binnacle. You could always get an alloy/stainless plate laser cut to mask any instruments that you don't need and maybe dial covers.
Worth considering round eyeball vents rather than the modern square plastic vents (sorry Chris)