Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Sportster Build Hampshire (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5487)

ChrisS 26th June 2015 15:40

Sportster Build Hampshire

hi

Just introducing myself as I am about to start on an E39 Based Sportster build. It is an idea that has been on the back burner for a while but has suddenly kicked off. Sort of now or never, time to put my money where my mouth is. So I now have a donor car on my drive and an order form in with Marlin.

Sure I will have plenty of questions and thank you in advance for your answers.

My first one might seem a bit of a leap but what are current recommendations on brake servos. I know there were concerns on Metro unit supplied by Marlin and there is a thread from a couple of years ago on a U.S. unit. What are people currently doing?

GreatOldOne 26th June 2015 16:36

I'd highly recommend one of the US sourced dual diaphragm servos. I don't know if Mike is still doing his kits - a bunch of us did a group buy after we found them online... Mike kindly handled all the shipping and distribution, as well as getting adaptors laser cut.

Patrick 26th June 2015 20:24

Hi Chris, welcome!

The dual diaphragm brake servo is vastly better than the metro servo. Pedal feel and power gives you much more confidence.

MartinClan 26th June 2015 20:31

The Metro servo is pretty useless. The boost ratio is nothing like the original BMW one and as a consequence you will find it difficult to stop as quickly as most modern cars - unless you are built like the hulk. I would consider the upgrade to the dual diaphram servo almost essential.

I have a couple of new old stock Metro servos as testiment!

Cheers Robin

Mike 26th June 2015 21:08

Hi Chris

I would say using a Metro servo is bordering on dangerous - particularly if you fit disc brakes at the rear: they require more pressure to make them work effectively, which the Metro servo set up is incapable of generating.

A quip by Patrick about driving his Sportster with a Metro servo has stayed with me throughout - "Trying to brake hard behind a modern tin-top with a servo bigger than its engine can be scary!" - summed it up perfectly!

I do not have any dual servos left, but they are easy enough to order from US - but be aware you will have to pay import duty (5%) and VAT (20%) on the total purchase price.

I have some surplus adaptor plates if you go down this route - and can give you the part numbers of the Dual Servo and appropriate Sierra Brake Master Cylinder - if you are interested, ping me a PM.

Mike

mcramsay 15th July 2015 19:56

Another e39 builder!! There are a few things you might run into issues with! I am currently the furthest ahead with the e39 build to date! ( last time I checked in I was beating marlin!!) give me a pm and maybe we could have a chat and I can point out potential problems/ some build advice!