Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Another 250 SWB build (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7090)

GaryR 21st June 2019 20:14

1 Attachment(s)
I'm sorry and I really don't want to ruffle feathers being a newbie here, but I can't help feeling you guys are maligning Tribute a little unjustly.

I had a good look at a Kobra kit at Classic Coachworks the other day as well as my own SWB, plus I've quite some experience with glass fibre in my past and I think the kits are fantastic quality for the money.

OK so some fettling is required to a greater or lesser degree, but what are they? Sub £6k for a full SWB kit or £3k for the Kobra? C'mon guys! :icon_wink:

Latest photo, taken yesterday with the front end's first trial fit....
Attachment 6172

Jaguartvr 21st June 2019 20:29

They are very good value for money, so much so that I bought a second kit. I do think some of them need more finishing than others which a newbie should be aware of. Best go for a 250 or a kobra for an easier build, I wasn't knocking tributes products.

clinkadink 21st June 2019 20:53

I agree, Tribute kits are awesome. As mentioned, I am planning my second build, 90% sure it'll be a 250 SWB.

My comment was specifically regarding the condition of the kit I received ... which was not from Tribute (directly).

The actual build (Kobra) is probably one of the easiest. But my kit did take a lot of "repairing" in addition to the build.

Hope that clears things up :grouphug:

molleur 21st June 2019 23:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryR (Post 100982)
I'm sorry and I really don't want to ruffle feathers being a newbie here, but I can't help feeling you guys are maligning Tribute a little unjustly.

I had a good look at a Kobra kit at Classic Coachworks the other day as well as my own SWB, plus I've quite some experience with glass fibre in my past and I think the kits are fantastic quality for the money.

OK so some fettling is required to a greater or lesser degree, but what are they? Sub £6k for a full SWB kit or £3k for the Kobra? C'mon guys! :icon_wink:

Latest photo, taken yesterday with the front end's first trial fit....
Attachment 6172

looking good. Agree, value plus for the 250 SWB from Tribute.

Barber 22nd June 2019 06:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryR (Post 100959)
Thanks Barber! Local to one another I see! I'm Ascot area!

Take Jagtvr up on his offer. I have been to see his cars a few times, and nothing beats seeing the modifications "in the flesh".

DaveP 22nd June 2019 18:17

My Kobra needed a bit of fettling. Especially after I transported the bonnet badly. Some magic with sandpaper and filler (and a bloody good body shop) and I’m very happy with the results.

My next tribute will be either another Kobra ( I want a Matt black one that looks as ratty as my earlier attempt ) or even a Z*gato if they are produced in Cali form. I have driven the 250 SWB coupe and felt a bit restricted. It’s all about the roof down for me.

Oh and I’m lazy and don’t want to deal with door skins :)

I didn’t even fit a filler cap ...

GaryR 22nd June 2019 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveP (Post 100991)
I didn’t even fit a filler cap ...

Only drove it until you emptied the tank then??? That’s a design flaw methinks! :shock:

Paul L 23rd June 2019 09:43

GaryR – A belated welcome to the forum. :cool:

I think adding your own personal touches is part of the fun of these builds.

Good luck, Paul. :)

GaryR 23rd June 2019 21:02

1 Attachment(s)
Another afternoon spent on the build together with Ian today. Apparently my Z3 is coming apart nicer than most others....
Attachment 6175
Electric hood mechanism unbolted and removed without any issues at all!

GaryR 23rd June 2019 21:04

1 Attachment(s)
Door mirrors removed, inner screen trims stripped and front and rear shells trial fitted again....
Attachment 6176

clinkadink 23rd June 2019 21:16

Looking nice! Great progress. Its a clean looking Z3. Well done.

Btw - are you selling the electric hood by any chance?

GaryR 23rd June 2019 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinkadink (Post 101028)
Looking nice! Great progress. Its a clean looking Z3. Well done.

Btw - are you selling the electric hood by any chance?

Thank you, yes very pleased both with both the donor car and progress thus far!

I believe Classic Coachworks have a buyer lined up for the hood already but I will check and come back to you if they don't.

classiccoachworks 23rd June 2019 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveP (Post 100953)
Welcome to the group and good luck with the build. I’m not far so may come look see at some stage (with dirty clothes on just in case).

Dave

you are always most welcome mr painter! give me a text x belle.

and Garyman, it is always a pleasure!

classiccoachworks 23rd June 2019 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinkadink (Post 100984)
I agree, Tribute kits are awesome. As mentioned, I am planning my second build, 90% sure it'll be a 250 SWB.

My comment was specifically regarding the condition of the kit I received ... which was not from Tribute (directly).

The actual build (Kobra) is probably one of the easiest. But my kit did take a lot of "repairing" in addition to the build.

Hope that clears things up :grouphug:

I agree, being hand made, they can vary! welcome to come see our swb before ordering for a good look

classiccoachworks 23rd June 2019 22:15

ps... thank you to everyone that continues to support us here at classic, it's been a blooming hard year and is at times physically and mentally exhausting ( with occasional blue air on my part stripping old z3s for parts/engines/gearboxes in the peeing rain outside our tiny unit, or tripping over my feet as we've grown so quickly and need somewhere bigger! ) but... only a year in and we are seeing incredible results.
the complete kit car magazine feature this month was amazing, if I was "real girl" not a mechanic bird it would have moved me to tears, and tkc is about to feature us too.
we couldn't do this without you chaps pushing us forward and encouraging us to keep learning and growing.. there are exciting developments in the pipeline in the coming year.

if anyone has any questions just ask, its often chaos so a phone call is usually quicker option.
thanks all, can't wait to see what the next year brings!
belle. 07986291525

DaveP 24th June 2019 01:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryR (Post 100999)
Only drove it until you emptied the tank then??? That’s a design flaw methinks! :shock:

LOL no I meant I didn’t bother with a flash filler cap and all the hassle that goes with fitting it. I kept the location and original flap from the donor car. I like easy :)

https://live.staticflickr.com/4876/4...3c796cba_z.jpgKobra side on by Muddy_B, on Flickr

Dave

DaveP 24th June 2019 01:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by classiccoachworks (Post 101031)
you are always most welcome mr painter! give me a text x belle.

and Garyman, it is always a pleasure!

So I will be calling soon then. About time I got Max all dusty :) will call to check when convenient.

Dave

Mitchelkitman 24th June 2019 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveP (Post 101038)
LOL no I meant I didn’t bother with a flash filler cap and all the hassle that goes with fitting it. I kept the location and original flap from the donor car. I like easy :)

https://live.staticflickr.com/4876/4...3c796cba_z.jpgKobra side on by Muddy_B, on Flickr

Dave

I like that - much smoother and better than those great big chunks of alloy on top on the rear wing (IMHO) - and the fuel flow will be perfect!

DaveP 25th June 2019 01:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchelkitman (Post 101052)
I like that - much smoother and better than those great big chunks of alloy on top on the rear wing (IMHO) - and the fuel flow will be perfect!

Thank you :)

GaryR 26th June 2019 17:28

1 Attachment(s)
Ian had the quarter lights and door internals stripped out over the past couple of days - good work that chap!
Attachment 6179
(Nice seat covers:sick:....only there to protect the leather seats beneath thankfully!)