Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Bit of gossip (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6599)

Jaguartvr 5th January 2018 11:58

Bit of gossip

Trying to source some rear lights and indicators for my other project. I contacted J H Classics and I can get them from them, unfortunately they will cost as much as my donor so they will have to be a future purchase when I get closer to completion.
The bit of gossip is that in Speaking to John at JH classics (very helpful) it turns out he is building a Tribute 250SWB coupe and he is in the process of modifying the door windows to a more original design.
I mentioned the forum and hopefully he will post some details.

Also found this, very nice car and picture, no price though.

http://www.grassbank.co.uk/nature

redratbike 5th January 2018 17:29

Good find on the grass bank wonder how they compare to a nubodi build price wise

lancelot link 5th January 2018 17:33

Is he changing the aperture shape or doing something different with the existing aperture ?
If he is offering an alternative to fit existing cars ....that's cool ..options are good.
If he's changing the aperture then , as interesting as it is , it won't benefit other builders who build 'out of the box' much ...

Interesting to see what he's doing though ...I think a rear screen change combined with a more accurate side window relationship could be quite cool ...

molleur 5th January 2018 17:33

Mid 50's I believe..
Lots of original parts. Ie., snap exhaust extensions 2500. original door handles & more..

WorldClassAccident 5th January 2018 19:01

Does Nubodi still do the 250SWB?

I was on his site after the New Years meet at Brooklands and it has been revamped but no mention of the 250SWB any more.

Doesn't affect me but he had been mentioned when discussing my car at Brooklands which is what pushed me to check out the Nubodi site.

Jaguartvr 5th January 2018 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancelot link (Post 92692)
Is he changing the aperture shape or doing something different with the existing aperture ?
If he is offering an alternative to fit existing cars ....that's cool ..options are good.
If he's changing the aperture then , as interesting as it is , it won't benefit other builders who build 'out of the box' much ...

Interesting to see what he's doing though ...I think a rear screen change combined with a more accurate side window relationship could be quite cool ...

It is the window mechanism that he is modifying. I presume doing away with or improving the sliding windows.

molleur 5th January 2018 20:48

Would be a vast improvement! I have e-mailed JH with some questions.

lancelot link 6th January 2018 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaguartvr (Post 92698)
It is the window mechanism that he is modifying. I presume doing away with or improving the sliding windows.

Sounds cool ...an option to fit the existing kit is definitely the best way forward ....

I like the sliding window setup , personally , but from a practical stand point I can understand why people would choose to have conventional windows ..

Nubodi Automotive 6th January 2018 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident (Post 92696)
Does Nubodi still do the 250SWB?

I was on his site after the New Years meet at Brooklands and it has been revamped but no mention of the 250SWB any more.

Doesn't affect me but he had been mentioned when discussing my car at Brooklands which is what pushed me to check out the Nubodi site.

Hi Nick

I was at Brooklands too! It was a great show. Normally I spot you, you obviously did not have your Tribute T-shirt on his time. Did it finally need washing perhaps?

We are still doing the kali and Koupe just have not got around to modifying the website for New Year. Planning on photoshopping the badges off the pics to make sure we dont upset Ferrari like DNA did.

Grassbank is our customer and all the modifications will be available from us once he has commercially finished them.
We have some new additions also such as wheel spinner transfers

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...922/2UCEU9.jpg

Full California dashboard (with 2 part glove box) and available in LHD that uses the Z3 vents, 3 piece door panels, 2 piece centre console and rear Kali roll bar panel

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...924/KddYNq.jpg

Jaguartvr 6th January 2018 11:01

I have the same stickers on my wheel centres, EricHolm has the Campagnolo stickers on his wheel centres. They are available in different diameters and colours so you can pick something that matches your colour scheme. You can also get many period replica stickers and they are all very reasonably priced.

https://www.isaydingdong.co.uk/oursh...3-Borrani.html
https://s20.postimg.org/b4dn8gzgt/IMG_2620.jpg

DaveP 6th January 2018 11:35

The Grassbank 250 is very very nice indeed. Loving the boot catch detail.

And the Dunlop wheel-a-likes are excellent

Dave

Jaguartvr 6th January 2018 11:42

I think the opening bonnet is a very nice touch.
However, I imagine that an awful lot of time and effort went into it. The only time you would use it though is at a show, the full opening clam is so easy to use and gives you such good access.

Strange that they are going to so much work moulding a new rear screen when Jeff has already covered it and sourced a ready made one.
Should have joined the forum!

Nubodi Automotive 6th January 2018 13:09

We saw the coloured ones on ebay but wanted a more 'etched ' look. I'll let others decide which looks best.

We have done a couple of 250's with hinged bonnets. We used Mercedes A-Class bonnet hinges which fold flat at the radiator end. Also used the original bonet cable and one striker the other end near the windscreen.

Grassbank was well aware of Jeffs work but did not want to pay ridiculous money for the rear screen from GTO Engineering. They have moulded a perspex rear screen for a quarter of the cost.

I'm surprised Jag you let the tyre people put an ugly balance weight on the nice chrome rim?

Jaguartvr 6th January 2018 14:20

I have found that the stick on weights tend to come off the chrome rims. Wires never balance up quite as well as alloys, I'm also using spigot rings and wobble bolts so was trying to get the wheels balanced up as well as possible.
These wheels seem too almost perfect when driving but could well be just that they are in better balance than my previous set. My previous set I used stick on weights and instructed them to only attach them to the inside rim, they do have a certain amount of wobble that you can feel when you rest your hands lightly on the steering wheel. Again probably down to the state of the wheels.
The tyre garage said I would get a better balance using the old-fashioned bang on weights, whether or not it is true I don't know.

Nubodi Automotive 6th January 2018 14:45

Nah they were conning you.
Balanced wheels are balanced wheels

This is what I do when I go to the tyre place
Take a small bottle of thinners or isopropryl alcohol a small sheet of 400 grade wet and dry cloth and a roll of silver duct tape (proper stuff)
Get the tyre guy to do the first balance run
Just before they stick on the weights, clean the area with the solvent, then lightly sand the area, wipe again. Stick on the weights. Retest
Dont let them tell you 5gms is ok, it has to be 0. Also they always try and get away with only balancing the front, make sure they do all four
While they are setting up the next wheel, clean a bigger area again and the top of the weights. Wait till the solvent has evaporated. Stick a strip of silver duct tape. Press down firmly all over with your finger nail. Repeat with rest of the wheels.
To date I've never had any come loose, even on track days

What you can do though is to polish the lead weight you have with Autosol and it will come up almost like chrome and not be so noticeable.
We also put cheap chrome 17mm nut covers on the wheel nuts. It helps to disguise they are not knock ons

Mitchelkitman 6th January 2018 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nubodi Automotive (Post 92714)
Nah they were conning you.
Balanced wheels are balanced wheels

Dont let them tell you 5gms is ok, it has to be 0. Also they always try and get away with only balancing the front, make sure they do all four

Very true. Lots of 'tyre fitters' try to cut corners..... why not just do a good job? The most infuriating was when I wanted the trailer wheels for my Quantum folding caravan balanced. Most places said "they're only small they don't need balancing". No amount of my saying 'but the car shakes only when I'm towing the caravan' or 'yes they're small, but it makes little difference, if they're out of balance and revolving faster' or 'it's a rotating part it needs to be balanced' would convince them. Then I found one (old school) guy who did them in a few minutes, and problems solved! Don't get me started about the guy who put 2 new front tyres on my Wife's Fiat and 'tried 3 times' to balance them! Then 2nd garage did them first attempt.

Jaguartvr 6th January 2018 15:57

With my chrome powder coated alloys I stood there while they balanced them, everytime they added a weight it threw it slightly out of balance elsewhere. They got them as close as they could but being old wires they just couldn't get them exact. The wheel rim was cleaned with acetone before the weights were stuck on but when I removed the wheels later most of the weights were missing.
I fitted brand new MWS wires to my Jag about 15 years ago and they were balanced with lead bang on weights but only on the rear rims, because they were new they needed very little and have been fine ever since. Which reminds me that they are still on the same tyres and have only done about 5k in those 15 years!

tricky360 6th January 2018 16:19

How comes your showing a Dna dash ?

Mitchelkitman 6th January 2018 17:14

When I last had new tyres put on my alloys (and balanced of course), I took a photo of each of the wheels complete with the stick on weights on the inside of the rims so that I'd know (and maybe be able to identify the size?) if one fell off in future.

Jaguartvr 7th January 2018 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by tricky360 (Post 92718)
How comes your showing a Dna dash ?

Isn't that your car Tricky?
One of the nicest, gave me the inspiration for my colour scheme. Simply stunning.