Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Tribute Z3gato (?!!) (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6466)

Paul L 10th May 2020 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barber (Post 104045)
The one detailed on FB is mine. Chris is starting the build this week. I decided to go the dark/midnight blue route as LLM suggested as i have the Calibre wheels and M3 wing mirrors.

Barber - I'm not on Facebook, so look forward to seeing some photos on here at some point.

I know you have backed this project for a long time, but it looks like it will be worth the wait. :cool:

Good Luck, Paul. :)

PS
Andy & Lucky - Please start new build threads for your cars.

I'd love to see just what is involved in building one of these.

Lucky@LeMans 10th May 2020 15:37

I'll post a build thread when I get my car underway. Looks like there will be a delay of several weeks before the convertible kit is ready. I had a chat with Chris last week, he is a bit behind thanks to the virus causing some disruption to their plans.

The convertible should be a very quick build especially as it utilises the stock Z3 doors. My Z75 was a 3 month build, 6 weeks of that was at the paint shop, 1 week was Christmas !

My donor car is stripped and pretty much ready for the new panels. I'm doing the paint this time so I'm thinking about 6 weeks for the build, start to finish.

Munky 25th May 2020 20:44

Anyone got any updates?
I’ve been watching tributes FB page that promised an update in a week (that was about a month ago... how to keep in idiot in suspense!)
I picked these pictures up from the new z3gt website.
Anyone got anything newer?
It seems there is Neil’s blue car, a green one and a black one???

Munky 25th May 2020 20:45

2 Attachment(s)
With pics...

Lucky@LeMans 29th May 2020 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munky (Post 104287)
Anyone got any updates?
I’ve been watching tributes FB page that promised an update in a week (that was about a month ago... how to keep in idiot in suspense!)
I picked these pictures up from the new z3gt website.
Anyone got anything newer?
It seems there is Neil’s blue car, a green one and a black one???

I'll be collecting the front end and sills next week, rear end to follow in a few weeks time !

Munky 29th May 2020 20:52

Fantastic!
Can’t wait to see some updated pics. Hint hint :)

andysharrock 30th May 2020 06:38

still 4 weeks for my kit cars prepped ready new dash fitted wheels and wiring at that point where I need a body.

Lucky@LeMans 30th May 2020 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by andysharrock (Post 104326)
still 4 weeks for my kit cars prepped ready new dash fitted wheels and wiring at that point where I need a body.

Which one are you building Andy, hard top or the convertible ?

andysharrock 30th May 2020 17:09

hard top I think with a lot of kits the roof transforms it .although I did like my swb soft top they looked wicked in hard top

Lucky@LeMans 30th May 2020 18:04

It will be interesting to see your take on it Andy ! I've got a few ideas up my sleeve that will give my car an individual look whilst keeping the classic lines.

Hughandjen 30th May 2020 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by andysharrock (Post 104331)
hard top I think with a lot of kits the roof transforms it .although I did like my swb soft top they looked wicked in hard top

I like the look of the hard tops better but love to drive a convertible. Just puts a smile in my face.

andysharrock 30th May 2020 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 104332)
It will be interesting to see your take on it Andy ! I've got a few ideas up my sleeve that will give my car an individual look whilst keeping the classic lines.

I think the one thing that spoils the look of some kits is side on same with the cobras sorry to anyone that has one but keeping the z3 door screams z3. until I have the kit in front it's hard to judge from a picture but I am looking at changing the door and skinning it to give a flat top like the swb door skin. but need to see the kit first

Lucky@LeMans 30th May 2020 20:19

I think the Kobra works as a modern interpretation of the classic shape. A bit like the modern Mini or Beetle. If you're not that familiar with the Z3 shape you wouldn't realise right away., the Z3 design goes back over 20 years now.

The photos of the buck in primer didn't give any impression of Z3 donor under it, again you would need to be well informed to spot it.

The standard doors certainly make for an easy build !

Lucky@LeMans 30th May 2020 20:26

1 Attachment(s)
Buck photo ……….

Barber 30th August 2020 16:01

Pics

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul L (Post 104145)
Barber - I'm not on Facebook, so look forward to seeing some photos on here at some point.

I know you have backed this project for a long time, but it looks like it will be worth the wait. :cool:

Good Luck, Paul. :)

PS
Andy & Lucky - Please start new build threads for your cars.

I'd love to see just what is involved in building one of these.

Some pics, I hope to pick it up this week and finish off some small bits and pieces, including the finish to the headlight surrounds (very close shape and size to some famous ones) and the window surrounds.

Paul L 30th August 2020 16:15

Barber - I was actually thinking about your car the other day and wondered if it was now painted.

In a word..."Wow!" :cool:

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...5&d=1598803107

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...7&d=1598803098

That looks amazing and I hope you enjoy driving it.

Take care, Paul. :)

Lucky@LeMans 30th August 2020 16:28

I'll be collecting the rear end for my convertible on Thursday. Its been a long wait since I placed my kit order back in November but I'm sure it will be worth it !
Now that all the moulds are done I would think the normal turn around time will be Tribute's usual 6 weeks or so.

I've got everything ready to complete my build so I'll post some updates soon !

Your car has turned out great btw Barber, you must be really happy the way this has come together, I've been following this thread from the beginning.

IanA 5th September 2020 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barber (Post 105067)
Some pics, I hope to pick it up this week and finish off some small bits and pieces...

I meant to say earlier- that is one super looking car. Congrats on the work needed to make your aim a reality.

Lucky@LeMans 7th September 2020 18:52

An ebay find, the paint must still be wet !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tribute-Z...EAAOSwG-dfVjdm

smash 7th September 2020 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 105140)
An ebay find, the paint must still be wet !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tribute-Z...EAAOSwG-dfVjdm

What's up with the rear window? (penultimate pic) It dips right under the body line at the bottom - is that how they are supposed to be?

Barber wins hands down!