Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sammio Builds and discussions (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Oxford build (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3569)

oxford1360 16th August 2012 17:15

At bl**dy last

After the best part of a year of faffing, the chassis is clean, repaired and primed. Here she is in all her naked glory.

Time for a holiday and then the chassis and all suspension parts can have a top coat. Then real construction can commence.:whoo:

garyh 16th August 2012 22:01

Snap, i'm off to the Cotswolds then i might be able to get to this point... Well done, looking new and straight.

davecymru 17th August 2012 11:38

Looks really good, now the fun parts can start in anger :)

oxford1360 8th September 2012 11:54

Currently getting all rolling chassis parts ready for a first colour coat. I need to get this done before the temperature drops too much.

I put a big order into Canley this week for bolts (I'm going "all new" as the Sammio obession becomes increasingly out of control), spacer block and spring compressor. Whilst the Rimmer site is easier to use, taking the time to go with Canley saved me £100.

If the colour goes on in time, I can spend the coldest winter months building the rolling chassis.

I've also sourced the switches for my minimal dash - lots of bakelite.

The starter and 20 amp switches (ignition and main lights) are from Spitfire/Lancaster etc.. The Cockpit Fire button (to be used for hazard warning) is from a Canberra. I don't plan to have any other switches/buttons on show and there will be no key.

They all have the lovely Air Ministry and crown markings.

The gauges will be customised to look like they have come from a Sea Fury control panel. That's why we have long winter nights........

Mister Towed 8th September 2012 12:38

Wow, now that really is Sammiobsessive and I love the bakelite switches. I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of your aircraft inspired dash...

I've been agonising for ages whether to do away with the traditional key and just have a 'start' button, but I've decided to go with the key as the starter panel I bought just looked too modern.

Given that it'll have no key, are you going to fit an immobiliser? I'd recommend it to stop some hooligan driving off into the sunset in your pride and joy. :icon_cry:

oxford1360 8th September 2012 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Towed (Post 34841)
Given that it'll have no key, are you going to fit an immobiliser? I'd recommend it to stop some hooligan driving off into the sunset in your pride and joy. :icon_cry:

Yes, I plan to fit an immobiliser plus a few other underhand security measures. I may even have a cut-out key in the bulkhead - the battery is going to be mounted behind the bulkhead.

Strangely, one of the first items I bought once I knew I was going to start building was one of those panels designed for boats - weatherproof starter button flanked by two toggle switches with red and green trigger guards.

As time passed, I came to the conclusion that it just didn't fit the overall theme of the car. One of the many items that I have bought before I needed it.........

Mister Towed 8th September 2012 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxford1360 (Post 34842)
Yes, I plan to fit an immobiliser plus a few other underhand security measures. I may even have a cut-out key in the bulkhead - the battery is going to be mounted behind the bulkhead.

Strangely, one of the first items I bought once I knew I was going to start building was one of those panels designed for boats - weatherproof starter button flanked by two toggle switches with red and green trigger guards.

As time passed, I came to the conclusion that it just didn't fit the overall theme of the car. One of the many items that I have bought before I needed it.........

Ditto, I've got about £150 worth of bits I'm no longer going to use, rear lights, starter panel, header tank etc :(

mas123mas 8th September 2012 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Towed (Post 34844)
Ditto, I've got about £150 worth of bits I'm no longer going to use, rear lights, starter panel, header tank etc :(

Mr T, what are lights and bits like, as I have not decided which type to go with, if you looking to sell email me as I may be interested. mas123mas@hotmail.co.uk

mas123mas 8th September 2012 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxford1360 (Post 34840)
Currently getting all rolling ..........the Rimmer site is easier to use, taking the time to go with Canley saved me £100.
........ion and main lights) are from Spitfire/Lancaster etc.. The Cockpit Fire button (to be used for hazard warning) is from a Canberra. I ...... lovely Air Ministry and crown markings.

The gauges will be customised to look like they have come from a Sea Fury control panel. That's why we have long winter nights........

Great the theme, the bakelite excellent idea.

Nike55 8th September 2012 23:19

That's an interesting set up - I have sent a similar order to Gbairspares for a few bits myself....but I'm going down the DH Vampire route if I can..I have some bits already.

Looking forward to seeing the finished cockpit..

oxford1360 9th September 2012 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nike55 (Post 34862)
That's an interesting set up - I have sent a similar order to Gbairspares for a few bits myself....but I'm going down the DH Vampire route if I can..I have some bits already.

Looking forward to seeing the finished cockpit..

The Vampire had some nice switches - I was tempted to convert a gun switch to use for my lights. GBairspares is from where three of the above were sourced.

Mister Towed 9th September 2012 09:15

How about a MASS key for the ignition?

http://www.jap100a-01.mod.uk/Jap(d)/...#_Toc185066638

Paul L 9th September 2012 18:47

Oxford1360 - Sounds like you will have a very nice Sammio to show for all your hard work. :cool:

I'm guessing your garage in the wilderness gets pretty chilly in the winter.

Good luck, Paul. :)

Nike55 9th September 2012 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxford1360 (Post 34866)
The Vampire had some nice switches - I was tempted to convert a gun switch to use for my lights. GBairspares is from where three of the above were sourced.

Rays-Tek have some interesting panels and hinges/catches....but mostly Tornado/Nimrod, bit late for my tastes..

Looking forward to winter 'mechanicking'...

oxford1360 9th September 2012 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul L (Post 34877)

I'm guessing your garage in the wilderness gets pretty chilly in the winter.

Just a bit. It's when the bears come scratching around that things get really hairy.

oxford1360 14th September 2012 11:27

Spare time is proving elusive at the moment so I am trying to keep momentum and spirits up by doing small tasks that mean that things will be ready when production begins.

Yesterday I fired up the Bunny Blaster Cabinet and cleaned up a few more items.

I left the old pipes in place to protect the internals and to give me something to hang on to as I blasted.

Tonight I shall strip them bare and give them a coat of BS318c-217 caliper paint. Tomorrow I shall fit new pistons, seals and nipples.

Apologies for slightly boring post, but it is designed to convince me that I am making continual progress, no matter how slow.

Mind you, I've managed to work-in the words "strip them bare", "nipples" and "give me something to hang on to" in a single post. As I said before, I know this car better than I knew some previous girlfriends.

Paul L 14th September 2012 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxford1360 (Post 35125)
... Apologies for slightly boring post, but it is designed to convince me that I am making continual progress, no matter how slow...

That is the same approach I use on my own build thread.

If I had more time, I'd make more progress, but as long as I'm making some progress with the little time I have I can live with that.

All the prep. work you are doing will mean your Sammio is going to look like a new build. :cool:

Good luck, Paul. :)

garyh 14th September 2012 20:57

I love the detailed posts, it will help me to remember what to do...

oxford1360 21st September 2012 20:58

I needed to remove the top spring plates from the original springs/dampers so that I can give them a clean and prime tomorrow.

I was pleased to see that the new springs are shorter than the originals. However, that colour will have to go. Shame, because it's a lovely finish.

Mister Towed 21st September 2012 21:29

They look great! What's wrong with the finish? I'd be well chuffed with those springs.