Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Build Chat (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Has anyone built a 3 wheeler? (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6370)

molleur 24th May 2017 23:11

Has anyone built a 3 wheeler?

Cycle cars fascinate me. When I was about six years old I had a ride in a Morgan Barrelback that must have stuck with me.
Recently, I was given the opportunity to purchase a shaft drive Honda V-Twin
and I'm considering building a BRA style replica.

Has anyone here ever built a three wheeler?

Thoughts..

Paul L 25th May 2017 05:40

There is a top quality three wheeler build here:

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=3818

redratbike 25th May 2017 05:40

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ight=Pembleton

This may help

Paul L 25th May 2017 05:41

Snap!

redratbike 25th May 2017 05:42

Ha ha great minds and all that ��

molleur 25th May 2017 18:22

I've been all over that build thread before. Thanks guy's.
Here in the USA, 2CV's are hard to find. I'll thinking Honda V-Twin or Harley power. Preferably mated to a VW or Miata gearbox.
Also considering a Fiero or Chevette front suspension. The closest builds that I can find are the old BRA CX3 (Honda) or the JVA with a Harley. Tons of research to do. There was a Pembleton in Daytona owned to a fellow that I spoke to. He indicated that he was afraid to take it in the freeway. I believe he recently sold it. A little more Oomph for me will require a more powerful engine and perhaps a slightly longer wheelbase and front track.

lancelot link 25th May 2017 20:05

Micky1mo has had dealings with them I think ..might be worth a message to him ....Penguin Speedshop were/are doing something similar too ..

molleur 25th May 2017 20:59

I shall. Thanks LL!

Dpaz 3rd June 2017 20:31

Have you looked at the BR website?

molleur 3rd June 2017 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dpaz (Post 88517)
Have you looked at the BR website?

BRA CX3 build plans are available, may go for it.

molleur 2nd August 2017 15:17

I've been communicating with Penguin Speed Shop on the Buckland.
No recent e-mails answered. I do fancy a Morgan F type replica.

Dpaz 2nd August 2017 20:33

According to a kit car mag Penguin were after selling the Buckland project. A superb 3 wheeler.

molleur 2nd August 2017 20:42

I was alerted to that possibility, however, Penguin mentioned to me in my last e-mail that they were looking for an investor. We'll see.
There is a complete unassembled kit in Texas and I may have a go look soon. I believe only one of maybe two in the USA.

Maybe I'll have to do a complete schrtch build.

Dpaz 2nd August 2017 20:59

I would go with the Buckland, at the right price and if you can find a engine.
But the BRA3cx plans would be a good start too. I wouldn't fancy taking any small 3 wheelers on a busy freeway, some low kit cars 7ish can be scary in any British town.
Good luck

molleur 2nd August 2017 21:08

Engine & gearbox not a problem. The 1.6 Kent engine was used in many TVR's. Decked, can easily be a 1.3 if desired. I have access to many of these. If I do have to do a scratch build, the bevelbox is the only issue right now.

Dpaz 3rd August 2017 10:48

You could modify a Ford Sierra diff. The Buckland has a chain drive from the diff to the rear wheel. Or use the bevel drive from a shaft drive motor bike. There was a great Steampunk trike in either '100% Bike' or its sister 'Trike' a while back. That had a Virago V twin in line, like in the bike and shaft drive to the rear wheel. That setup in a BRA would look great.

molleur 3rd August 2017 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dpaz (Post 89892)
You could modify a Ford Sierra diff. The Buckland has a chain drive from the diff to the rear wheel. Or use the bevel drive from a shaft drive motor bike. There was a great Steampunk trike in either '100% Bike' or its sister 'Trike' a while back. That had a Virago V twin in line, like in the bike and shaft drive to the rear wheel. That setup in a BRA would look great.

Yes, thinking of a Guzzi or Goldwing rear & diff. With the 4 speed transmission + reverse. Only need to fabricate a driveshaft and appropriate carrier bearings.

Getting there identifying the needed components.

Dpaz 3rd August 2017 19:27

Now you know what you are going to do get on with it and send us pictures. Good luck!

molleur 3rd August 2017 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dpaz (Post 89901)
Now you know what you are going to do get on with it and send us pictures. Good luck!

Not quite ready just yet. At least the bodywork will not be a problem.
Saving pennies for the "Revival" next month. Looking iffy at the moment though.

Was a former GRRC member for many years. Expensive to fly from the USA for events.

micky1mo 22nd August 2017 19:09

molleur Sorry but I have only just noticed this thread.:doh:

I think I still have a set of plans and a build manual for the BRA3 or something similar any-way.

I'll try and locate them over the next few days. :smile: