Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Italian Replica builds and chat (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   All Aluminium 1957 250 Testarossa (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6588)

Lucky@LeMans 29th October 2018 19:13

The side indicators on the white car aren't really MOT acceptable mounted where they are. They could be brought forward a bit to be more compliant but I don't think they look right. I do like the rear indicators in the vents, that works quite well.

Mick O'Malley 30th October 2018 07:13

Aluminium Rules!

This.

Regards, Mick

Lucky@LeMans 30th October 2018 18:41

Aluminium cars are the best with this style of car. There are one or two fibre glass cars out there but they're not so convincing. I was really lucky to be able buy this example. I some times ask myself what I could have bought instead !

Done some mods to the steering column. A couple of inches shorter and a couple of inches higher. That should be about right, I've now made new brackets to support it. I've done away with the Ford column ignition switch and steering locking mechanism. The whole lot is bulky and nothing like a 250 TR. All the main switch gear will be on the dash.

Lucky@LeMans 31st October 2018 16:51

Working around the front end I've made up some mountings for the radiator. Supplied with the body was a genuine F***** radiator. Its huge compared to what is required but I thought I'd make use of it anyway. I've fitted an electric fan so that's all ready to go on the car now.
The seats are booked in with the trimmers, the price was good and they quoted just a week turn around.

molleur 31st October 2018 16:59

Excellent!

Lucky@LeMans 1st November 2018 21:44

Finished the radiator mounts , all welded to the chassis and primed in red oxide. I've been looking for the correct water pump pulley for my engine but I haven't found one so I went with plan B. I did get hold of a 2.8 injection Capri pulley which differs as it is a twin belt pulley and the centre hole is larger. Decided to turn an aluminium adaptor to allow it to be used. Whilst looking at this and fan belts etc I've had to go with a much smaller alternator. The standard Cologne V6 arrangement features the alternator mounted off the side of the engine which is no good on a 7 chassis. The smallest one I could find was from a Daihatsu Cuore and is about the size of a Coke can, rated at around 40 Amps. I'll be able to fit that on the top of the engine between the rocker covers, small and neat.

Lucky@LeMans 4th November 2018 20:25

A little progress over the weekend. I've got the alternator brackets made up which took longer than expected. I'll be able to fit that along with the adapted water pump pulley and get the fan belt on. Also sorting out water pipes for the radiator and bypass hoses. I really need to crack on with the exhaust manifolds and system before the front end goes back on. Trying to find some
1 1/4" tight mandrel bends in mild steel, any ideas ? Can only find stainless at the moment.

Lucky@LeMans 8th November 2018 17:34

4 Attachment(s)
I've got my pulley adaptor back now so that can go on and complete the installation of the water pump, alternator etc etc.
Whilst the front end is off I've also lowered the floor section under the pedals to allow for my size 12's ! Dropped it by 50mm so the toe of even my biggest boots don't snag on the underside of the peddle box !
Whilst doing that little job I noticed that one of the master cylinders was leaking brake fluid so I've whipped that out and ordered a new one.
The photos below show the over size radiator and mountings attached to the chassis along with the front clip lower mountings. That's all good now and ready for final fit. See also the extra small Coke can size alternator, really useful when you are stuck for space.
Custom Chrome helped me out with all the tight mandrel bends in mild steel that I was after. Highly recommended.

molleur 8th November 2018 20:27

Very nicely done! Is that alternator output enough?

Lucky@LeMans 8th November 2018 20:37

Its only got to power the lights and charge the battery, 40amps is plenty ! I mentioned in an earlier post that I'm making a new loom that has a lot less wiring in it than even the donor 7 had. ie no wipers, no screen wash, no electric fuel pumps etc.

molleur 8th November 2018 20:48

Perfect then. You should have no worries.

Lucky@LeMans 11th November 2018 12:20

Finalising a few details at the front of the car then the front body section can go back on for the final time. It should be pretty straight forward to get the car to a running stage after that ! Probably a few weeks away yet but I want it driving / ready for paint by the end of the Christmas holidays.

I'm still un decided about the final finish on the car. The plan was to go with a fully restored look to make it like new. I've seen several TR's now, mostly online and one in the flesh. There's one for sale in Classic & Sports Car magazine and that one has been on the market a while. They all have the same theme, immaculate and mint condition. I would say most are over done and too blingy, the one in C & SC is a good case, bright red with bright red trim, it looks too much. My car was always going to be bling free but I think I can go one better and give it a more authentic weathered look. Something that has done 24 hours at LeMans and a few races at Spa back in the 50's then left in a barn for 60 years. There seems to be a thing for barn finds and un restored cars at the moment, perhaps that's the way to go ?

lancelot link 11th November 2018 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 97605)
Something that has done 24 hours at LeMans and a few races at Spa back in the 50's then left in a barn for 60 years. There seems to be a thing for barn finds and un restored cars at the moment, perhaps that's the way to go ?

There is a Formosa being given exactly that treatment at the moment ....

Lucky@LeMans 12th November 2018 19:38

It would be good to see that one and how they approach the idea, is the builder on here ? Back in the day I was into model making and RC aeroplanes, the scale stuff mostly. The experienced modellers in our club would spend a lot of time "weathering" the finish with oil stains and dirt effects etc. The results on some looked stunning, much better than a shiny new finish.

lancelot link 13th November 2018 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 97629)
It would be good to see that one and how they approach the idea, is the builder on here ? Back in the day I was into model making and RC aeroplanes, the scale stuff mostly. The experienced modellers in our club would spend a lot of time "weathering" the finish with oil stains and dirt effects etc. The results on some looked stunning, much better than a shiny new finish.

Its not quite at paint yet ..its partly prepped and still having a few bits done ...It has been built using original parts over new parts in a lot of instances , the wire wheels are a bit freckly , second hand steering wheel , seats , slightly weathered aluminium , genuine 1950's 2CV door latches ..that sort of thing ..nothing too tatty , just pre-loved ..the paint is going to be cellulose rather than 2 pack and its going to be weathered only a bit , so it looks like an older restoration or a carefully stored survivor , rather than a full on 'Barn find' , a few nicks , scratches , chips etc ..bit of wear on drivers door , around fuel cap , bonnet edge etc but nothing too major ..

Lucky@LeMans 13th November 2018 10:58

There is a balance to be had, that sounds about right. The interior on my car is going to be satin black painted aluminium which is pretty much like the original cars. They were never fitted with plush interiors the so called restored examples feature today!

lancelot link 13th November 2018 17:48

THE FORMOSA IS GOING SATIN BLACK INSIDE TOO ...The car closer resembles a Maserati in my eyes and they tended to be silver , but all the Ferrari's of that era were satin black frames internals , everything ..which is a lot easier to manage ...

lancelot link 13th November 2018 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 97637)
They were never fitted with plush interiors the so called restored examples feature today!

Many notable cars in the race and Hot Rod world have been over restored in my opinion and they lose their soul ..

oxford1360 13th November 2018 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancelot link (Post 97639)
Many notable cars in the race and Hot Rod world have been over restored in my opinion and they lose their soul ..

+1

molleur 13th November 2018 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancelot link (Post 97639)

Well said!

Lucky@LeMans 15th November 2018 19:21

1 Attachment(s)
Whilst the body is off and access is good I've done some interior ali panel work. The donor car had a flat tunnel top which is fine when covered with carpet but no good when the ali is the final finish. I've remade it with a radiused top which looks loads better. The bulkhead isn't finished yet, there are fillets to add to the top and sides to meet up with the scuttle panel and body sides. Some of the bulk head is visible when the body is on, especially on the passenger side because there is no dash board. One reason why I wanted a neat job.

molleur 15th November 2018 19:55

Outstanding work! Really looks the part.

lancelot link 15th November 2018 22:22

Here's a patina'd 250 TR for you Lucky ....

https://image.ibb.co/jk8JH0/250tr.jpg

Lucky@LeMans 15th November 2018 23:29

Nice one ! At least the panels on my car were straight even though there were a few bits missing.

Also made a start on the manifolds tonight, got one side done. Need to buy a couple more tube bends for the other side as I used several along the way and had to rework a couple of tubes. Tube fabrication is a bit of an art but I'm happy with whats done so far !

redratbike 16th November 2018 06:57

I think the used weathered look will suit the car

Can’t wait to see it completed

Jaguartvr 16th November 2018 19:11

Why not paint it in white with a black bonnet bulge and 58 on the side?

Lucky@LeMans 16th November 2018 22:22

If I painted it white everyone would think it was the Chris Evans car.

I think I'll go with the safe bet and the dark red option or perhaps bare aluminium.

molleur 16th November 2018 22:34

It begs to become dark red!

Paul L 18th November 2018 07:14

Lucky – Your cockpit interior really looks the part. :cool:

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...9&d=1542309404

Good luck with the rest of the work, Paul. :)

Lucky@LeMans 20th November 2018 19:27

Gradually getting through my list of jobs on the car. I've fitted a new fuel line front to back. The original one was only tiny 3/16" bore tube which is probably why there were two electric pumps mounted in series in the boot ! I've removed the pumps and run an 8mm bore tube right through to the mechanical pump on the engine.

Lucky@LeMans 24th November 2018 17:04

I've run the loom front to back and tried my best to keep it all hidden out of site. Too many specially built cars have wires running all over, under the bonnet, under the dash and hanging here, there and everywhere. A bit of thought and planning you can do away with all the excess and loose ends ! The only wires you will see on my car will be the plug leads and cables to the starter motor.

Lucky@LeMans 26th November 2018 19:13

Made a start on the exhaust system. I've finished the manifolds and the silencer box's were made up a while ago. The system runs down each side of the car under the sill then tucks behind the rear wheels and exit in four trumpets. The trumpets are exactly that, tapering from 2" upto 3" at the tips !! It will probably make a right racket but I want to recreate that V12 sound like the real thing !
Photos to follow.

Lucky@LeMans 1st December 2018 14:19

The exhaust is just about done apart from making the rear trumpet / megaphone trims x4. I have simplified the design a little largely down to ground clearance under the sills. I've gone with a single box rather than the double decker arrangement on the original. That in turn goes back under the car to a "Y" section on each side to get the 4 outlets. I'll soon be able to start up the engine for the first time and it will be drivable not long after, fingers crossed !!

jones 1st December 2018 14:20

Gahhhhhhh where are the photos, I'm loving this build but we need photos!

Lucky@LeMans 1st December 2018 14:22

I will post some, promise !

Lucky@LeMans 1st December 2018 15:30

4 Attachment(s)
A few photos here, they are a week or two old in some cases .

* Manifolds fitted to the engine on both sides, fairly straight forward as although the Cologne engine is a V6 there are only 4 exhaust ports in total to connect up. They will be covered in heat wrap and painted black upon completion.

* Mountings for the sill area on the body required some extension brackets from the chassis. These are now filled in with aluminium panels. The lower sill area will be bolted on along these extensions.

* The left and right exhausts here, not quite complete in these photos but not far off. The whole system will be painted in high temp matt black like the original cars.

jones 1st December 2018 16:56

Nice work, it's coming on a steady pace with great craftsmanship.

Thanks for the pics

rossnzwpi 1st December 2018 21:10

Very nice work! I'm struggling to understand the logic for Ford Germany to design a V6 with FOUR exhaust outlets! Mind you, I'm not an engineer. I get cheapness but surely the flow must be impeded and very close to the exit point from the cylinders?

Lucky@LeMans 2nd December 2018 10:14

The engine was used in the Granada MK2 and the injection version was used to great effect in the 2.8 Capri. The best thing with these engines are the compact design and torquey power delivery from quite low down the rev range. The later engines did feature 3 exhaust ports which helped a little along with a few other upgrades. I was lucky to find this engine as it was new in a crate, all be it "old stock"! If the same engine could pull around a fully loaded Granada estate it will make light work powering my light weight 7 based car.

Lucky@LeMans 5th December 2018 19:23

Another job completed are the side vents mounted into the front wings. These were missing so I've made a pair in aluminium. Rather than copy the poor design the car had from Giordanengo, I've gone with a more authentic curved and rolled edge design as seen on the real TR. A bit more work but they look so much better. I'll take some photos soon as they are mounted in place.