Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds (http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   will need a lot more fiberglass (http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7302)

andysharrock 31st May 2020 20:14

will need a lot more fiberglass
 
2 Attachment(s)
I do like a project I am on my 6th tribute build with one on order but always wanted to have ago at my own kit /rebody.got this today with the doors not sure of the plan one thing I do know is I am going to need a lot of fiberglass and possibly some wheels :laugh:

Attachment 6837

Attachment 6838

Paul L 31st May 2020 20:24

Weren't they selling the rest of the kit?

https://live.staticflickr.com/8309/8..." height="681"

:icon_wink:

andysharrock 31st May 2020 20:32

could not afford the middle so I just bought both sides I have got the doors that will keep the draft out lol

andysharrock 31st May 2020 20:52

all ears for any chassis Ideas or re boby don't really want to go the bug route.

Mister Towed 1st June 2020 06:48

Good lord, I thought my Speedster body was in a bad way. Do you have the roof?

Without it it's a lot of work to either make one or convert the rear deck to the Speedster/Convertible shape as they're quite different. Even the engine grille is a different shape - flat on the coupe and curved on the Speedster and Convertible.

As for the chassis or re-body, the Triumph Spitfire wheelbase is only 8mm longer than the 356 - 2100mm vs 2108mm while the rear track width is the same (with 1500 half-shafts) at 1270mm. The front track width is also very close - 1306mm (Porsche) against 1245 (Spitfire) - so nothing that can't be sorted with spacers or wheel adaptors.

Obviously, the Spitfire chassis option is completely off the wall, so you might want to consider a Pie-Valley chassis with MGF/TF mechanicals -

http://www.pievalleybuggies.co.uk/beetle-kitcars.html

There are lots of positives with that chassis, not least of which is the choice of engines from a 1.4 K series right up to the 2.5 KV6 and really good brakes, but there are two big negatives for me:

IVA :(

The MGF track is much wider - by 94mm at the front and 140mm at the back - so flared arches might well be necessary which aren't to my taste.

I could be wrong on that one, though, so do speak to Pie Valley if you're interested.

Anyway, nice to see another crazy Outlaw build commencing.

andysharrock 1st June 2020 07:17

lol thought it may get your attention mister Towed, no roof but have doors wheel track dose and does not matter. it will be a convertible not having the middle bit means a bit wider or narrower can be accommodated. for now its wall art till I get the"Eureka!" moment . I need a chassis I can not plan anything without measurements. there is a Triumph spitfire Chassis not far away £300 with the engine and v5 that should mean no IVA wich is a must as it would never pass one now days. must admit I am quiet looking forward to building a body .at worse I will have some cool wall art for now:juggle:

Lucky@LeMans 1st June 2020 07:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Towed (Post 104353)
Good lord, I thought my Speedster body was in a bad way. Do you have the roof?

Without it it's a lot of work to either make one or convert the rear deck to the Speedster/Convertible shape as they're quite different. Even the engine grille is a different shape - flat on the coupe and curved on the Speedster and Convertible.

As for the chassis or re-body, the Triumph Spitfire wheelbase is only 8mm longer than the 356 - 2100mm vs 2108mm while the rear track width is the same (with 1500 half-shafts) at 1270mm. The front track width is also very close - 1306mm (Porsche) against 1245 (Spitfire) - so nothing that can't be sorted with spacers or wheel adaptors.

Obviously, the Spitfire chassis option is completely off the wall, so you might want to consider a Pie-Valley chassis with MGF/TF mechanicals -

http://www.pievalleybuggies.co.uk/beetle-kitcars.html

There are lots of positives with that chassis, not least of which is the choice of engines from a 1.4 K series right up to the 2.5 KV6 and really good brakes, but there are two big negatives for me:

IVA :(

The MGF track is much wider - by 94mm at the front and 140mm at the back - so flared arches might well be necessary which aren't to my taste.

I could be wrong on that one, though, so do speak to Pie Valley if you're interested.

Anyway, nice to see another crazy Outlaw build commencing.

Great looking chassis, I've not heard of them before.
I wonder how many of those re chassis'd cars actually got entered for IVA ?
I can see many cars being "restored" featuring a new chassis.

andysharrock 1st June 2020 07:58

pievalley chassis do look good and mgf running gear is very well priced the only mgf I ever drove was a 1.8 and handled lovely much better than a mx5 . would think its that gray area again iva, would depend how good you mot tester is or how knowledgeable to spot a new chassis and raise the question

Mitchelkitman 1st June 2020 08:31

Pie Valley chassis is also available to take VW Golf/Polo running gear as well (with drivetrain at rear).

andysharrock 7th June 2020 15:52

5 Attachment(s)
body arrived Thursday so I hit google for measurements to start having a play this weekend. because the car is just two halves it was like a jelly out the mold .it took forever to get it something like in line measure and move umpteen times door gaps are pretty spot on so I am hoping the rest is far away.
Attachment 6858

I set it up on ladders guessing I could use them as level ground and looking at pictures of a speedster its pretty straight all round the sills

next job try to rough in some structure to the body, I wanted to work inside out so as not to build on top of what I have got but under it. if that makes sense. it can be cut and modified latter when the body is stronger. I left the edges of the fiberglass mat clear of resin so when I am ready to add structure it should tie in better.

Attachment 6859

I latter cut a V each side of the engine lid opening to pull it down on the soft top its not as steep an angle this body would have been hard top.

Attachment 6861
Attachment 6862

at least its starting to firm up the body joining the two halves back together even if it is just roughed in for now. making the boot lid and opening or is it engine lid is going to be interesting one and is going to need some planning.
Attachment 6860

froggyman 7th June 2020 18:17

A good start. Will be interesting to see how this one works out.

andysharrock 9th June 2020 17:11

4 Attachment(s)
4 days work and starting to take shape now it almost looks like a car almost. waiting on resin and reinforcing glass to stiffen it up touch wood should be ok to flip it in a couple of days .I was surprised how thin the glass is I am use to tribute builds 6 to 7mm, this can not be more than a couple of mill in most places. when its upside down I will go go over most of it to build it up . best getting looking for a chassis one I had lined up I lost .

Attachment 6870

Attachment 6871

Attachment 6872

Attachment 6873

Mister Towed 10th June 2020 06:25

That's taking shape very nicely, and alarmingly quickly. Guess I'd better get a shift on with mine!

andysharrock 10th June 2020 07:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Towed (Post 104428)
That's taking shape very nicely, and alarmingly quickly. Guess I'd better get a shift on with mine!

lucky at the mo only working first thing in the morning and late at night so have all day in my garage, I could cope with working these hours long term. may happen yet.



Mister towed what are you using for a window screen on your build did you get it with the kit. I have had a look around you are looking over 1k to buy the correct setup. must be something out there cheaper than that

Mister Towed 10th June 2020 08:41

I'm going for the stripped down, Outlaw racer look so I've sourced a Porsche 550 Spyder aeroscreen (from Martin & Walker). I think it was about £120 from memory.

https://i.ibb.co/rGzRNTr/20181230-13...psizq5gocx.jpg

Not a great picture as it's still in the packaging, but it's the same size and shape as the Sammio Spyder screen, albeit a fully moulded one that attaches without the need for a separate frame.

I did look at the glass screen with the fancy chromed brass frame and alloy side posts, but, as you say, it's a mighty expensive option with even the rubber seals coming in at a couple of hundred quid.

I've seen one or two come up on ebay but they're never cheap and are often in the States.

Are you planning to go with a folding roof or just a screen? It'd save a lot of cash if you used a perspex deflector.

andysharrock 10th June 2020 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Towed (Post 104432)
I'm going for the stripped down, Outlaw racer look so I've sourced a Porsche 550 Spyder aeroscreen (from Martin & Walker). I think it was about £120 from memory.

https://i.ibb.co/rGzRNTr/20181230-13...psizq5gocx.jpg

Not a great picture as it's still in the packaging, but it's the same size and shape as the Sammio Spyder screen, albeit a fully moulded one that attaches without the need for a separate frame.

I did look at the glass screen with the fancy chromed brass frame and alloy side posts, but, as you say, it's a mighty expensive option with even the rubber seals coming in at a couple of hundred quid.

I've seen one or two come up on ebay but they're never cheap and are often in the States.

Are you planning to go with a folding roof or just a screen? It'd save a lot of cash if you used a perspex deflector.


Well I had the same idea as you but can not do that now, lol one to ponda on for a bit .it crossed my mind to make a metal frame out of some U Chanel and cut and weld the round parts. then have the glass split in the middle like on the old moggy minor . going to need something for the roof long term I may make a hard top to remove and possibly a soft top .as my kit is home made at least the middle part nothing stock will fit. if it dose I will be very lucky for it to follow the profile and width nothing is ever that simple.:thumb:

andysharrock 10th June 2020 17:50

2 Attachment(s)
fill sand fill sand been one of them days I can still taste the dust.another day of sanding I should be able to start thinking about how I am going to make a bonnet. now that's a tough one
Attachment 6887

Attachment 6888

Mister Towed 10th June 2020 18:13

You could go for a really early look and use the Pre-A bent windscreen with just a pair of side posts -

https://www.karmannkonnection.com/sh...pe-cabriolet-/

https://www.design911.com/Front-Wind...nd/prod131424/

Not cheap though...

andysharrock 10th June 2020 18:43

I looked at the same company earlier 360 for a stock screen still a lot but I think I could make a frame to fit that the profile looks not far away. Its miles off for now. I will keep an eye out one may pop up

Mister Towed 11th June 2020 07:28

Hmm, I got my 550 Spyder aeroscreen (together with a 550 dash moulding and an engine grille) from Martin & walker in Andover.

http://www.technic-motorsport.com/M&...e/contact.html

They're real classic Porsche enthusiuasts and, ultimately they did really help me by supplying the parts I needed but it wasn't exactly 'click and collect' as they're absolutely snowed under with orders for their 904GTS replica.

From memory that's at a base price of around £55k for a built up body/rolling chassis for you to add your own engine to, so I was a bit of a tiddler nibbling their toes rather than the catch of the day in financial terms.

I persevered with emails and the odd telephone call, though, and they were good enough to sort out the parts for me.

Anyway, their website still shows a complete 356 Speedster screen assembly for under £500 so it would be worth contacting them to see if they can help. The site hasn't been updated since 2012, mind, so that price could be a bit out of date.

http://technic-motorsport.com/M&W%20...s%20parts.html

They might also be able to help with a bonnet, but, as I said, they're really very busy.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

redratbike 11th June 2020 12:48

I saw these body halves pop up on Facebook good to see them put to use properly

andysharrock 11th June 2020 17:41

2 Attachment(s)
whoop whoop I am at the smile point when you step back to check what your doing. all been well l will have the bonnet made tomorrow bare bones ready
Attachment 6889

Attachment 6890

andysharrock 11th June 2020 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Towed (Post 104447)
Hmm, I got my 550 Spyder aeroscreen (together with a 550 dash moulding and an engine grille) from Martin & walker in Andover.

http://www.technic-motorsport.com/M&...e/contact.html

They're real classic Porsche enthusiuasts and, ultimately they did really help me by supplying the parts I needed but it wasn't exactly 'click and collect' as they're absolutely snowed under with orders for their 904GTS replica.

From memory that's at a base price of around £55k for a built up body/rolling chassis for you to add your own engine to, so I was a bit of a tiddler nibbling their toes rather than the catch of the day in financial terms.

I persevered with emails and the odd telephone call, though, and they were good enough to sort out the parts for me.

Anyway, their website still shows a complete 356 Speedster screen assembly for under £500 so it would be worth contacting them to see if they can help. The site hasn't been updated since 2012, mind, so that price could be a bit out of date.

http://technic-motorsport.com/M&W%20...s%20parts.html

They might also be able to help with a bonnet, but, as I said, they're really very busy.

Anyway, keep up the good work!


cheers and thanks for the info Mister Towed, I will give them a ring when I have it sat on 4 wheels .

andysharrock 12th June 2020 18:38

2 Attachment(s)
bonnet inner skin sorted, I have some 6mm high density foam that I am going to lay on the top and skin and glass over it to crate a sandwiched. I will have a look tomorrow its was already pretty stiff two lairs of 300g Woven Roving 2 of 450 csm and two of 300csm
Attachment 6892

Attachment 6893

Paul L 13th June 2020 05:17

Holy Fibreglassing Batman!

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3f...2.jpg?w968h681

andysharrock – Great work, you really are making something from nothing. :cool:

A few questions about how you made the nose…

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...p;d=1591722130

What is the blue material and how did you shape it?

Hard to tell from the photo, but is the blue set a few mm lower that the side pieces?
(Allowing you to join the new piece to the sides from underneath.)

Or was the blue material there to form a mould to make the nose from?

Good luck, Paul. :)

PS
Just seeing the rolls of fibreglass matting on your garage wall is making me itch. :icon_wink:

andysharrock 15th June 2020 08:07

1 Attachment(s)
Hi paul L ,the blue material is good old lino flooring off cuts grate stuff for shaping and bridging gaps the glass will not stick to it so its easy to pull it off when ready. I made up a rough frame out of MDF then shaped the lino over it, set it behind the body. trimmed it back when it was hard and glassed it in front and back the body is so thin it was on a couple of mm to build up. it was all set to eye with a bent taped measure bugger when you dont have any stright lines to work off
Attachment 6903

Paul L 18th June 2020 05:31

Top Tip about using lino, as that has clearly worked well. :cool:

Mitchelkitman 18th June 2020 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul L (Post 104521)
Top Tip about using lino, as that has clearly worked well. :cool:

Is it still possible to buy lino? I thought it disappeared after 1960 :icon_confused:

andysharrock 18th June 2020 20:07

2 Attachment(s)
some progress over the last few days ,I had some fire escapes replaced at work that were made out of 2" box steel seemed a shame to waste it. So I have framed out the inside of the main body and supported front and back at the top till I get it on a chassis .if nothing else its rock solid now but will still lift off when I need it to.
Attachment 6904

outer skin of bonnet now on rear boot lid made

Attachment 6905

loads more filling and sanding to do ,I found a vintage speedster parts supplier in the states just waiting on shipping costs then we should see a big jump forward :usa2:

redratbike 18th June 2020 20:18

Was it rusty tubs. The USA supplier ???

andysharrock 18th June 2020 20:29

https://vintagespeedsterparts.com/licenseplates.aspx

redratbike 18th June 2020 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by andysharrock (Post 104532)

Thank you

Check out rusty tubs they have some good priced parts , bit of an odd website

http://www.rustytubs.com/speedster.html

andysharrock 19th June 2020 07:34

believe me if they sell anything to do with speedsters I have been on there web site Im from Yorkshire we dont like wasting money up north.I found rusty tubs expensive look at 356A Speedster windshield post $225 or $95 with vintage.speedster emblem $25 or $46 the VS emblem karmen Kollection was selling the £30each they are $11 that's a good mark up. door hinge best price I have found $24 or a light weight alloy one for $750 EACH:yield: wtf excuse me

redratbike 19th June 2020 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by andysharrock (Post 104536)
believe me if they sell anything to do with speedsters I have been on there web site Im from Yorkshire we dont like wasting money up north.I found rusty tubs expensive look at 356A Speedster windshield post $225 or $95 with vintage.speedster emblem $25 or $46 the VS emblem karmen Kollection was selling the £30each they are $11 that's a good mark up. door hinge best price I have found $24 or a light weight alloy one for $750 EACH:yield: wtf excuse me

Wow apologies Yeah they are good prices

andysharrock 21st June 2020 18:51

3 Attachment(s)
deffo going to need some more fiberglass now body off for a spot of sunbathing
while put some extra fiberglass on all the joints and the areas that will be used to support the main body
Attachment 6917

got the welder out to go over all the welds now the body is off under and over and it bloody packed in after an inch add another £150 for a new one bummer :smash:

Attachment 6918

and body back on again decided to change the front around a bit more filling and sanding but taking shape

Attachment 6919

Mister Towed 22nd June 2020 06:35

Fascinating and fast progress, I do like your frame.

Have you decided on a chassis yet? Might be an idea to have a rolling chassis to line everything up to before fixing the panels in place.

Also, I'm not sure if this is the change you're making, but the 356 and 356A have a bit of a beak in the centre of the front end rather than going straight across. You can see it in this pic -

https://i.ibb.co/BsbbHL2/IMG-20200621-120029843.jpg

The 356B and C models had a smooth curve, but the headlights are much higher up in the wings (I always thought that the Nissan Micra K12 front end would be a good starting point for a later model 356) -

https://i.ibb.co/CQQDm3x/maxresdefault.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/nnTCpxX/1024px-Niss...1-W-lfrath.jpg

Images sourced here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82NNlFTbwbs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Micra

Anyway, I'm sure it's going to look stunning whatever direction you take!

andysharrock 22nd June 2020 07:33

I have been looking for a chassis for a while managed to get a fully rebuilt spitfire one yesterday hoping to have if for next weekend. Not 5 minuets after putting the phone down did I get offered another fully rebuilt one typical but not complaining 400 quid all new ready to go. steel is here ready to chop and change things and I have a 1840cc MX5 sport lined up to pull all the parts from if things go to plan that should be here for the weekend too.The inner fame work has all the body bolted to it so it ridged I hoping to just notch out the frame I have made around the chassis and weld it on with some extra steel work off the out riggers and chassis rails. Well that's the plan, I do need the chassis here to make the boot inner frame and inner panels as its just an empty shell at the mo. headlights should be coming from vintage parts but still waiting on the shipping quote any problems I will get some early bug ones there always on ebay . this like my other cars is not a copy of anything I am going with the flow and changing things if I dont think it sits right it will get changed. do like the low slung wide boy look tho in black proper outlaw.


mister towed ware did you get the wheel adapters form to fit the bug wheels on your chassis:thumb:

Mister Towed 22nd June 2020 08:09

It took two sets and I replaced the Triumph studs with Land Rover Freelander ones which are much sturdier and fit the Satur adaptors -

https://www.mikesatur.co.uk/Wheel-Hu...e-Satur-design

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-4x100-...MAAOSwnF9Y71de

I got the 5x205 adaptors directly from Limebug for £100 for four, but they don't seem to have them on their website any more. Would be worth calling them though.

Bellicose 22nd June 2020 14:04

Completely in awe of this. Makes me realise how slow and backwards my method of shaping foam is!
I have no experience of fibreglass so terrified of using it, maybe I should just go for it?

Looking forward to your next updates!

andysharrock 22nd June 2020 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bellicose (Post 104582)
Completely in awe of this. Makes me realise how slow and backwards my method of shaping foam is!
I have no experience of fibreglass so terrified of using it, maybe I should just go for it?

Looking forward to your next updates!


Yes you should go for it from the bits I have picked up along the way, dont do it in full sun it will set while your working on it . two thin lairs of CSM is better than one thick one because it wets out easier and holds the shape better. if its very cold add more catalyst.if it goes wrong dont panic let it set cut it out or sand t back and start again.:eusa_dance:


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 07:05.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright Madabout Kitcars 2014