Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Mx 250 GTO headlight covers (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7203)

Crofty 3rd December 2019 20:04

Mx 250 GTO headlight covers

Hi, I bought Peepsy’s 250GTO about 5 years ago, now I have retired I’m in the process of upgrading a few things, leather tombstone seats, wood rim steering wheel headlight covers and a spray job Audi Rivera blue.
I was thinking of fitting the headlight covers with threaded rivets glued into the body and fitted with 4mm s/s buton head screws. Just wondering if I should try and seal around the lip of the headlight covers with a seal to stop water ingress or just drill a small hole in the bottom of the headlight pod to drain any water mainly from washing the car I try and not use it in the rain.
Would be grateful of thoughts.
PS if anyone can do a photo shop of my car in Audi Rivera blue I would love to see it before I have it sprayed (just in case)
Thanks regards Andy.

Crofty 3rd December 2019 20:17

https://youtu.be/bsjvq3Tc2a0
Just remembered this on YouTube my car is on it a couple of times I am only on it once stuffing a free three course meal down.
Andy

Drummajor 3rd December 2019 21:12

I had a lot of trouble fitting mine, cracked two .
Be very careful, they leaked but I didn’t put any kind of sealant around them , I tried a rubber seal but that didn’t work either.

Lucky@LeMans 3rd December 2019 21:43

Probably best to drill a couple of holes in the headlight bucket to let any water out. They will also act as vents to help prevent the inside face misting up. Make the covers easily removable so you can have them off occasionally if you need to clean inside.

molleur 3rd December 2019 22:07

As Lucky indicated, a couple of holes in the headlight bucket works well.

Make the holes in the covers slightly oversized (allowing for the plexi expansion) and if possible use the rivnuts. Makes re-installing a breeze.

lancelot link 4th December 2019 16:29

The rubber rivnuts or rawlnuts are good ... I use them for headlight covers and screens ...

molleur 4th December 2019 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancelot link (Post 102891)
The rubber rivnuts or rawlnuts are good ... I use them for headlight covers and screens ...

PERFECT! Totally agree to use these.

Crofty 6th December 2019 13:33

One step forward and one step back

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, thanks for all the help, managed to drill headlight covers, I started with a 3mm drill dipped in washing up liquid very slowly and then used a stepped drill usually used for drilling bigger holes in sheet metal,drilling slowly with it dipped in washing up liquid. That part was successfull ,but when I drilled the top hole on the fibreglass body it was very thin and shattered. Any ideas what to use to repair it with remembering I am going to drill it and put threaded rivets in. Thanks regards Andy

Lucky@LeMans 6th December 2019 14:07

I think you might have to rethink the fixings. That's a big chunk that's come away. I would be tempted to simply fill it, re drill and use small self tappers with rubberised washers.

Munky 7th December 2019 01:29

2 Attachment(s)
Sorry to hear about the headlight, but wow! Watching that video... you sure are a lucky man!
I had a 10min play with a free version of Photoshop. I did struggle to get a good pic of your car from the video.
Anyway, it may give you some idea of what it might look like in the Audi colour!
Munky

Crofty 7th December 2019 10:51

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Munky (Post 102919)
Sorry to hear about the headlight, but wow! Watching that video... you sure are a lucky man!
I had a 10min play with a free version of Photoshop. I did struggle to get a good pic of your car from the video.
Anyway, it may give you some idea of what it might look like in the Audi colour!
Munky

Hi Munky, thanks for the photoshop, only discovered yesterday how to upload photos. When you say I’m a lucky man did you mean the car or bride, the car is mine but the bride belongs to someone else unfortunately (hope the wife doesn’t read this or I might be looking for a new one myself).
Regards Andy.

Munky 7th December 2019 13:15

2 Attachment(s)
Both!
The Audi colour is pretty tough to match over the basis of your metallic paint, as the metallic eccentuates the curves of the car giving it more high and low spots visually. The Riviera blue is surprising as it seems to be similar to white - a great colour for hiding bad bodywork...
Personally I just love the colour of yours as it is - especially the rear of the car, but I understand why you might want to change it to make it more yours.
Sorry but the image as I pick it up on here is also quite pixilated. This is about the best I can do with what I have.
Santa is bringing me something closer to Photoshop for Christmas (I hope!).
Good luck with a great car!

Crofty 27th May 2020 11:50

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all not been on for a while,been busy working on my car.
First of all thanks Munky for the photo shop,tried in vein for weeks for someone to mix the Audi Rivera blue paint but nobody could get it right so I gave up reluctantly and decided on Porsche Guards Red. I know not much of a difference.

Back to the headlight cover problem I drilled the holes out to 7mm and pumped some chemical anchor resin into the holes so it was like stalactites,let it set and drilled it 1mm bigger than the threaded rivets then glued the threaded rivets with gorilla gel glue.

Drummajor 27th May 2020 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crofty (Post 104295)
Hi all not been on for a while,been busy working on my car.
First of all thanks Munky for the photo shop,tried in vein for weeks for someone to mix the Audi Rivera blue paint but nobody could get it right so I gave up reluctantly and decided on Porsche Guards Red. I know not much of a difference.

Back to the headlight cover problem I drilled the holes out to 7mm and pumped some chemical anchor resin into the holes so it was like stalactites,let it set and drilled it 1mm bigger than the threaded rivets then glued the threaded rivets with gorilla gel glue.

Your photos are upside down 🤷*♂️

Crofty 27th May 2020 20:03

Photos are the right way up when I load them and then turn upside down.
Any body got any ideas, using an iPad not had problem before.