Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marlin 5exi builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Door Panels (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1536)

MikeN 27th January 2008 15:35

Door Panels

Has anyone got any pictures of the side panels (doors version), cut and in situ? Marlin have supplied me with the panels for the 'non door' version so I do not know where they need to be trimmed! Typical.
Also to anyone's knowledge have Marlin released any build instructions or photo's detailing the build up of the door version?

Regards

Mike

limpabit 27th January 2008 16:14

Hi Mike.

The ali door panels follow the diagonal side bar, along the bottom rail and up the rar upright bar (where the mid section would be).

Only instructions I have seen are the measurements for the door hinges.

Not sure if Marlin have updated there instructions for this.

There is a lot of jiggling and packing to get the heights of the side pods etc. Then adjustments of the door hinges etc.

The starting point I was told is the mid section. Bottom of mid section should be 40mm from the top of the chassis cross section.

Have you started looking at how your going to open the door yet?

If not, the best method is using solenoids. This can either be wired into an alarm to open the doors or door switches.

There are kits on ebay or you can use the rover central locking ones.

craig 27th January 2008 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by limpabit (Post 10529)
Have you started looking at how your going to open the door yet?

If not, the best method is using solenoids. This can either be wired into an alarm to open the doors or door switches.

There are kits on ebay or you can use the rover central locking ones.

John, this was my next task!! How have you done yours and whats involved?
I wanted solenoids with key fob to open doors but don't want the passenger door to open everytime I press the fob
Any info or pics would be good
Cheers
Craig

limpabit 27th January 2008 20:26

Hi Craig.

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow.

I got two solenoids for handleless entry off ebay.

2 sets of these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOOT-DOOR-BUTT...QQcmdZViewItem

Or you can use the central locking ones from a Rover.

I used the ones from ebay.

Then I got 2 like these from car builder solutions (Page 21 of there cat).

#PBSWPL

Mine though I think was lower rated. Kept blowing while operating the solenoid. So got hold of a starter relay black box from a mk3 Rover and wired it through there.

craig 27th January 2008 22:10

John when you use your keyfob to open the doors do they both open?
ie physically open?
I need them to open but only the drivers or the passengers if I wish or both together is this possible

Craig

limpabit 28th January 2008 05:29

Hi Craig.

I used the buttons listed above and did not wire in to alarm fob.

This was because all the windscreen, body fitment was done by Marlin. This was my next job after the car returned. So just used buttons.

I wired in a Toad A606I alarm immobiliser. You can get 4 botton fobs for the Toad. One button to turn on and off the alarm. The other two buttons to do different things like popping open each of the doors. This would need to be fed through relays though What alarm system are you using?

Maybe worth starting a new thread with this as we are hijacking Mike's thread!

MikeN 28th January 2008 07:59

Guys thanks for your help so far. Please do carry on about alarms as that would be my next question. However a new thread on Alarms and features and what models have been used.

Mike

limpabit 28th January 2008 08:25

A last note about the alarm. Get all the wiring etc done for door poppers before the dash and windscreen. A pain afterwards.

5EXi girl 29th January 2008 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeN (Post 10527)
Has anyone got any pictures of the side panels (doors version), cut and in situ? Marlin have supplied me with the panels for the 'non door' version so I do not know where they need to be trimmed! Typical.
Also to anyone's knowledge have Marlin released any build instructions or photo's detailing the build up of the door version?

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike

Just been having a look around and found your thread. We have got about 20 pics that we took when we fitted our doors. These are on the latest CD BM under Door assembly (about 2 years old now) If you have not got these I am happy to send via email or on disc. Same goes for anyone else needing them. Email me at marlin cars please.
Cheers
Terry

MikeN 29th January 2008 18:53

Hi Terry, I hope the move/build is going well. Really would appreciate the photo's as I have none on the door install. You may recall that I collected my kit 3 years ago now (I can't believe that the time has gone so fast!), so I do not have any build photo's or data later than that.
You have my email address so if you could send it or PM me on this forum and I will post it there.

Regards

Mike