Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Old No.7 Builds (http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Welsh Kiwi's Build Thread - 275GTB (http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6476)

Welshkiwi 30th April 2018 07:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul L (Post 94588)
It must be great seeing these photos from the other side of the world and knowing they will be heading your way soon.

Good luck, Paul. :)

Thanks Paul, a bit surreal really spending all this money and not being able to talk face to face or touch/feel, but I will say to anyone who is watching this and wants to ďdelve inĒ it has been a really easy process to work with Chris/Dan. From what I can tell from the pictures the output will be of a high standard.
I learnt heavily from you previous builders and threads from the Tribute clan and saw that worrying about the process from this far away was something I didnít need to do. Tribute/Old No7 have helped me every step along the way to make it easy. One thing I do miss tho when finished is the camaraderie of the enthusiasts and builders via the shows/get togethers. The kit scene is reasonably small in NZ and monstered by the hot rod and muscle car scenes.
A few car shows tho I can get the car to so will enjoy those!
Looking forward to more photos this week prior to completion and packing!

Jaguartvr 30th April 2018 19:15

When I picked my kit up, everything was present and correct. It was all hung from their donor so I could see how everything went together and it was all explained.
A refreshing change, I get sick of things that are incomplete or missing and it seems to be the norm rather than the exception.

lancelot link 30th April 2018 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welshkiwi (Post 94596)
The kit scene is reasonably small in NZ and monstered by the hot rod and muscle car scenes.

You will find genuine Hot Rodders and not just scene-sters will appreciate your car for what it is and the style it represents ...you will be made welcome I am sure ...

Welshkiwi 1st May 2018 04:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancelot link (Post 94609)
You will find genuine Hot Rodders and not just scene-sters will appreciate your car for what it is and the style it represents ...you will be made welcome I am sure ...

Very true Lancelot. I enjoy the car shows whatever the theme but just miss the stoneleigh, true kitcar shows and definitely miss the auto jumble scene when you need parts etc. You are right tho I am sure the car will be well received, being one of a kind over these parts will turn a few heads! Cheers.

Welshkiwi 1st May 2018 04:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaguartvr (Post 94605)
When I picked my kit up, everything was present and correct. It was all hung from their donor so I could see how everything went together and it was all explained.
A refreshing change, I get sick of things that are incomplete or missing and it seems to be the norm rather than the exception.

Bang on Jag, I am hearing you. People tend not to have as much pride in their work or service/respect for the other party at times these days. What I will say tho is Chris/Dan break the mould and have those old school values in how they treat people and have so much passion in what they do it is almost like they are building it for themselves. Going big is great, but when you lose the passion and churn out for the sake of it does it mean better? I tend to think not.... Cheers.

Welshkiwi 1st May 2018 06:27

More Bling arrived!
 
Hi guys - here's the mirrors I am fitting to the Italia 275.
(Labelled as Tex Automotive Classic - Torpedo/Bullet Racing mirrors)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/904/4...17da3f0b_z.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/868/4...f3c57d4a_z.jpg

Jaguartvr 1st May 2018 07:35

They look great but I would suggest bolting them to the car and trying them first. Most of these type of mirrors give an awful rear view. Try and get some convex mirrors rather than flat.
With the mirrors it is I'm afraid a case of style over practicability. I discarded 2 sets before ending up with my current set.
Another problem is the chrome, it can rust before your eyes, it just doesn't have the quality of old chrome, stainless is better but I have had 3 sets of headlight rims rust already and they were sold to me as stainless steel.

Welshkiwi 1st May 2018 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaguartvr (Post 94613)
They look great but I would suggest bolting them to the car and trying them first. Most of these type of mirrors give an awful rear view. Try and get some convex mirrors rather than flat.
With the mirrors it is I'm afraid a case of style over practicability. I discarded 2 sets before ending up with my current set.
Another problem is the chrome, it can rust before your eyes, it just doesn't have the quality of old chrome, stainless is better but I have had 3 sets of headlight rims rust already and they were sold to me as stainless steel.

Yup understand. I have seen the feedback on other posts in regard to the rear views, but as you say visuals/style are 90% of why these are fitted! They are stainless so hopefully last the distance, weíll see.....I paid enough for these so iíll stick with the flat surface and see how I go. Cheers.

Lucky@LeMans 1st May 2018 09:02

New chrome isn't as good that's for sure. There is stainless steel and stainless steel, the lower grades do rust. You need to go for 316 or high chrome content material but you wont always know at point of purchase. I work in the oil and gas supply chain, customers specify the highest grades stainless steel but we are sometimes let down by suppliers and get fobbed off with the wrong grades!
For car bits the best way to keep parts shiny for longer is to spray them with WD40 and just polish them up when you go to shows etc!

Barber 1st May 2018 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 94617)
New chrome isn't as good that's for sure. There is stainless steel and stainless steel, the lower grades do rust. You need to go for 316 or high chrome content material but you wont always know at point of purchase. I work in the oil and gas supply chain, customers specify the highest grades stainless steel but we are sometimes let down by suppliers and get fobbed off with the wrong grades!
For car bits the best way to keep parts shiny for longer is to spray them with WD40 and just polish them up when you go to shows etc!

And the car will look like it has been driven long and hard to boot.

Welshkiwi 2nd May 2018 04:45

If you are susceptible to coveting - Look away now!
 
Hi guys,

More from the production - (Just so you know the first pic has been photo-shopped lowered to see what it looked like). You may be able to see my smile from the UK! Some more work going on in the background on headlight buckets and rear parcel shelf as well as front indicator positions. More pics soon.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/981/4...76f29dfd_z.jpgFinal Panels - Lowered

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/870/2...9becf003_z.jpgFinal Light recesses

molleur 2nd May 2018 13:10

Looking fantastic!

redratbike 2nd May 2018 20:19

Is this a one off or will it be available as a kit???

DaveP 2nd May 2018 22:13

Itís looking very nice indeed.

I even like the Beemer wheels on it when itís dropped like that

Dave

Welshkiwi 3rd May 2018 04:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by redratbike (Post 94673)
Is this a one off or will it be available as a kit???

Hi RRB, only Chris @ Tribute and Dan @ Old No 7 can tell you that. They have put a lot of time and effort into this one so it would be a shame if not available. As for me being in NZ whilst I would like to get mine on the road first, very unlikely I will bump into another one in the short term! Give Chris a ring and see what he/Dan says. Cheers.

Welshkiwi 3rd May 2018 04:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveP (Post 94676)
Itís looking very nice indeed.

I even like the Beemer wheels on it when itís dropped like that

Dave

Thanks Dave, same here I like fact that my donor wheels will work in the short term if they fit under the arches. Long term I am still looking at either 72 spoke wires or Dunlop racing wheels for the vintage look, but great start tho. Anyone got a set of Dunlop wheels they want to get rid of? (I have seen the ones on eBay, trying to get a slightly better price point /nz dollar exchange as with shipping they will cost me a fair bit!) cheers.

Lucky@LeMans 3rd May 2018 12:37

Someone on Ebay ( UK ) was doing Dunlop look wheels to fit the Z3. Don't know if they are still listed or not.

molleur 3rd May 2018 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 94686)
Someone on Ebay ( UK ) was doing Dunlop look wheels to fit the Z3. Don't know if they are still listed or not.

here you go..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dunlop-ra...0AAOSwxu5ZKrjA

DaveP 3rd May 2018 20:33

They are being sold by Justin at Grassbank. He provides the non mgb rear glass for the 250 SWB. I have been told he has one of the best examples around although not seen it. Even in pictures.

Those Dunlopís look very good. What has been done by other members is pretty damn good though.

Dave

molleur 3rd May 2018 20:49

Dave, have a look here..

http://www.grassbank.co.uk/


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 20:10.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright Madabout Kitcars 2014