Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   IVA Fail (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5922)

6981marlin 4th May 2016 13:45

IVA Fail

Good afternoon everyone, I have failed my iva this morning on my sportster and wondered if anyone could help me with the biggest fail. The engine certificate for the age of the engine, I have tried BMW customer services, but they are saying they don't have records of when the engine was manufactured.

Has anyone got any ideas of how to get this information, other than that I would have to fit cats to the exhausts (don't want to that if I am honest). It didn't miss the emission by a mile though.

Not to disappointed with fails though, at 9 the pervious night I had no electrics working.

These are my failures, some more stupid than others.

Iva Failitures Fail point
02b Metered Emissions Failed due to emission
09B Service Brake control Anti slip
09D Hydraulic Systems Intermittant hand brake light
12 Interior Fittings Inner door trim and above knee, Dash radedge
16 Exterior projections Fuel Cap
Bonnet clips
Top Inner wishbones n/s o/s
N/s/f Wheel arch
18 Statutory Plates Stamp Chassis with chassis number
20 Installation of lights Rear fog lamp loose
Reverse Lamp loose
Front Drive lights loose
Tail lights loose
21 Retro reflectors Non fitted
22 End - outline, postion, stop, side marker & daytime running lamps More than 400mm inboard
23 Direction indicators Front indications more than 400mm inboard
25 Headlights Not setup correctly
28 Rear fog lamps Rear fog working with side lights on
29 Reversing Lamps Not working
31 Seat belts Guides required for top anchorage point
37 Wheel guards rear of mud guards
GC - 1 N/S top wish bone lock nuts loose
GC-2 Steering wheel to close to dash
gc-3 Front propshaft nuts insecure
GC-4 N/s and o/s Front wheel nuts insecure
RS7-1 Wiring to front indicators likely to chaffe
rs7-2 Wiring near fuel pump loose
rs7-3 wiring insecure going to rear fog and reverse lights
rs7-4 wiring behind seat insecure
rs7-5 Wiring to handbrake level insecure
rs7-6 Wiring under drivers dash insecure
RS8-1 Battery postive terminal not insulated

Thanks

Ryan

peterux 4th May 2016 19:32

Hi Ryan,
sorry to hear about your IVA failure.
You need to know the VIN number of the donor vehicle. If you don't know that you should find it on the label on the ECU. (It'll probably start WBA...)
Then take a trip to your local BMW dealership and sweet talk the parts counter man. (I've always found them helpful if approached in the right way). He should be able to print you a copy of the original spec of the donor car when it left the factory. That print-out should include the engine number and if that matches the one on your engine block it proves you have the original engine.
Armed with that info you should then write to BMW Customer support with a copy of the print-out and ask them for an official letter to confirm the date of manufacture.
BMW Email address: customer.service@bmw.co.uk

Good luck,
....peter

morris 4th May 2016 19:59

I had a similar problem getting the age of my engine. The BMW customer dealer gave me the donor build print out no questions asked and I had the original V5. I wrote to customer services to get a specific build date for the engine and after them asking me lots of questions and including sending them photos of the engine and the stamped in number on the block, they said they couldn't help. I think they're wary of people cloning engine numbers.

I fitted a sports cat as my donor was a 93 car. If it had been a 92 then the V5 should have been evidence enough. However, when I took the IVA the examiner just asked me what year the engine was, I told him 93 and he tested it as that. With the cat installed it was very good on the emissions. He never even looked at the number on the block but at the same time didn't put it on the IVA certificate as verified either as a result. When I came to register the vehicle they just took my word for it. I guess it's all back to the person you get on the day as usual

peterux 4th May 2016 20:16

I got a 'birth certificate' for my M52 engine this year (January 2016).

No questions asked!

But checking back I wrote to customer.information@bmw.co.uk , so this may be a better address.

6981marlin 5th May 2016 16:47

Dash edge

What did everyone do to get round the radius edge on the dash ?

morris 5th May 2016 17:37

I failed on the dash radius just on the bit under my right knee as I thought it was in the exclusion zone. As a quick fix I glued some 13mm silicone hose under the vinyl which got it through and then was immediately un-glued and put back the way I'd intended. you can just see it bulging in this pic. I wish I could physically move my knees that high for it to actually be a safety issue

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/337/1...f99637e7_b.jpg

The rest of the under dash radius was ok because I'd planned it in around the guidance.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7448/...577952cf_b.jpg

6981marlin 14th June 2016 19:19

Iva now passed

1 Attachment(s)
I have now have a pass on the iva test today. At last. It only taken me 3 attempts at it.

DaveP 14th June 2016 20:42

Well done - that must be such a relief and onto the next stage

Just in time for summer :)

Patrick 14th June 2016 20:55

Well done :)

Chris Cussen 15th June 2016 11:11

Hooray!

6981marlin 15th June 2016 15:01

Two sportster in one day ?

Is there any other Sportster owners in the North west ?

6981marlin 7th September 2016 15:55

Finally registered

Finally I have got through the task of registering it with the DVLA. It is now registered and on the road. Now to fix all the bits that keep falling off :icon_lol:

Now starts the process of building the car I want for the road.

Patrick 7th September 2016 19:12

Awesome well done for getting through all the bureaucracy :)