Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Tribute Z3gato (?!!) (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6466)

Barber 29th June 2018 10:43

Enforced Pause

What with holidays and family engagements around the country I have had little time to do anything apart from seal the dashboard together, not much visible difference to the previous photos.

My Z3 has a yaw sensor problem, and has been with the garage for 3 weeks as they have had problems getting the sensor from BMW. Today they were sent a longitudenal sensor and not the rotational one, so more delays. As I don't have the car to hand, I can't check the colour of the vinyl covering for the dashboard is right, so am pretty much hamstrung on progress there until I get the car back.

Paintwise, I need to talk to Chris to get a colour sample of what the gelcoat will look like in green before I spend more money on can samples.

But I am enjoying the sunshine anyway.

Jaguartvr 29th June 2018 15:15

Stick with the repulsive green, it will spur you on to finish the car and get it painted. If it looks OKish you don't have the same desire to get it pained properly which is a big mistake.

Barber 29th June 2018 15:45

You know me too well, I was hoping that I may get away with a worn out, served its purpose kind of effect.

Jaguartvr 8th July 2018 18:39

Any further updates/photo's of the repulsive green one?

How about dash progress?

Barber 10th July 2018 14:24

Progress, or not

My Z3 is still with the garage, it is taking an age to get the sensor. So long as it is there, I cannot check the vinyl colour against the dash, so enforced sitting in the garden enjoying the sunshine.

Nothing to report on the body.

peterux 10th July 2018 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barber (Post 95924)
My Z3 is still with the garage, it is taking an age to get the sensor. .........

That sounds very suspicious to me. I built a BMW based kit car and I'm currently installing a BMW M52 engine in my Sabre and all my experiences with BMW parts department have been truly excellent. Prompt (usually less than 48 hours), efficient, courteous and accurate. Of course, there could be exceptions but I've never had a problem.

And you can look up spare part numbers using this website...
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select (But do ignore the adverts)
Just type in your VIN and then drill down to find the part numbers.

I would be challenging your garage on what issues they are having :tsk:

Barber 8th August 2018 12:00

Nothing much happening at the moment

Chris has been labouring in the hell that is GRP work during the recent (and ongoing) heatwave. Last time we spoke, he was due to collect a Micra screen as a possible solution for the rear. Not much else to report on that.

The Z3 yaw sensor issue is dragging on. The indy BMW garage uses a local BMW dealership for parts supply. The OEM for the part has changed a couple of times, and searching round the internet, they are not common parts. The Euro holiday shutdowns don't help either. Result is that no part supplied yet, after the initial long delay then sending wrong part. The garage had to send the part of my car so that they could verify the correct part number from the first OEM supplier.

As it happens, I haven't had much time to do work anyway, and certainly would not have relished doing stuff in the temperatures we have been experiencing, so whilst a little frustrated, not desperately so.

Reading that back, goodness, it's dull, sorry.

froggyman 8th August 2018 13:42

It may be dull at the moment but I am sure it will get a lot more interesting in the near future.

Gamphy 10th August 2018 01:46

Hi Barber on the subject of rear windows, have a look at the 1 series Beemer, following one today send it's got a nice radius o the sides and reasonably short in height.

Barber 10th August 2018 08:32

Thanks, will have a look. Chris's thinking was that as the Z3gato is a coupe, a deeper screen would give more visibility. But the width and curve are primary considerations.

molleur 10th August 2018 20:03

Same with the 250, can't find a screen to suit. The Grassbank seems the only option.

Barber 10th August 2018 20:24

The Z3gato uses a modified 275 roof, so is wider than the 250. Probably the Grass all one will not be wife enough but I will investigate.

Barber 14th August 2018 20:07

1 Attachment(s)
Chris has got the Micra screen, and dropped onto the hole cut for the Alpha ft screen, it looks like it can work. Needs moving a couple of inches up, and some work to the sides and boot. Nothing more to see for a couple of weeks.

IanA 14th August 2018 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barber (Post 96416)
..it looks like it can work...

Looks rather good actually.

Gamphy 14th August 2018 21:22

That does look good

kon 15th August 2018 17:05

Yea, that does fit rather nicely. Has it created a double-hump on the top of the car, due to the curce of the screen, and the fact that it's usually more upright in a micra? cant quite see in that pic.. i'd guess it would be more apparent in a side-on photo, rather than rear quarter.

Barber 15th August 2018 18:08

Let's just say it will take some work around it. But probably the best all round shape, so over to Chris and Dan for a bit of magic.

Barber 16th August 2018 14:14

here is the image from the link
http://i68.tinypic.com/194imh.jpg

If the screen is moved up a couple of inches, the lines down to the boot can be re-aligned. Chris said that he had to nip the 275 roof in at the back for Welshkiwis car. This formed the base for the Z3gato, but it will have to be moved back out to accommodate the screen at the top.

So the whole of the back from the roof down to the boot will need re-working. But it is going to be worth the wait. The black surround to the screen is not the best, but needs must if we want to have a stock production solution that doesn't cost the earth.

Gamphy 16th August 2018 15:13

I quite like the black surround, still gives a production car feeling, even if it is a few decades out. I am really looking forward to seeing what your going to do around the window.

Mister Towed 16th August 2018 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barber (Post 96439)
The black surround to the screen is not the best, but needs must if we want to have a stock production solution that doesn't cost the earth.

Looks pretty good to me but wouldn't be a problem on a black car anyway.