Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   California boot hinges (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6329)

andysharrock 9th April 2017 19:44

California boot hinges

1 Attachment(s)
not happy with my boot lid its not sitting great and ridding a bit on the hinge I used triumph spitfire . some cars have hinges under the lid what are you using on your California
Attachment 4252

Jaguartvr 10th April 2017 06:58

I have the internal hinge supplied by Tribute. I think it is very easy to fit and shouldn't give any stress cracks in future.
Before adjusting the boot too much, fit whatever boot seal. I adjusted my boot, then changed the boot seal and had to start all over again.
I had to put a slice in the rib underneath to try and bring the trailing edge of the boot lid in. It didn't work too well so I had to resort to building the main body tub out about 5mm at the boot catch and and taper it out towards the edges. The curvature of the boot took quite a bit of sanding to get it level with the main tub as well.
Using the internal hinge you have to remember that the main tub can be positioned ever so slightly differently each time you remove it. This changes how the boot sits. I stand back and look at the line of the wing where it sits over each rear tyre.

lancelot link 10th April 2017 08:08

The probelm , sometimes , with external hinges from a Herald , Spitfire , Minor , Mini etc. is they are often slightly shaped to fit a curved panel , some are sided as well ..its not always really obvious as the curve is slight ...if the curve is off or the hinges you are using are flat , which I think Spit ones are , then if your panel is curved , it can cause the issues you have and/or affect opening as well ... hinging boots , bonnets and doors is never totally straightforward ...If Tribute can offer you a decent option that works well or recommend the right hinges ...sometimes it really is the best route ...

molleur 10th April 2017 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancelot link (Post 87330)
The probelm , sometimes , with external hinges from a Herald , Spitfire , Minor , Mini etc. is they are often slightly shaped to fit a curved panel , some are sided as well ..its not always really obvious as the curve is slight ...if the curve is off or the hinges you are using are flat , which I think Spit ones are , then if your panel is curved , it can cause the issues you have and/or affect opening as well ... hinging boots , bonnets and doors is never totally straightforward ...If Tribute can offer you a decent option that works well or recommend the right hinges ...sometimes it really is the best route ...

Be aware, they are handed, try switching them around.

andysharrock 10th April 2017 17:40

1 Attachment(s)
sorted took a lot off the top edge by the hinge line and a bit off both sides now looks like this

Attachment 4292

Piguin 10th April 2017 19:41

Sorted indeed.

Looks great!

molleur 10th April 2017 20:59

Great job!