Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   MX250 Bonnet help (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6741)

3148markc 20th May 2018 11:08

MX250 Bonnet help

1 Attachment(s)
Just installed the Mx250 Bonnet and I've managed to get good gapping all round and level, however when I open the bonnet it catches at the rear middle, what's the best way to rectify the issue ? I don't want to push the bonnet further down as this would leave big gaps at the top sides. Thanks

Jaguartvr 20th May 2018 11:35

Gap is too tight and straight. You need to try and curve the line slightly by taking away material from the bonnet and building it up on the scuttle. I would remove the material from the rear of the bonnet first to get the clearance and then attempt to build it up again on the main panel to close the gap again.

Drummajor 20th May 2018 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3148markc (Post 95082)
Just installed the Mx250 Bonnet and I've managed to get good gapping all round and level, however when I open the bonnet it catches at the rear middle, what's the best way to rectify the issue ? I don't want to push the bonnet further down as this would leave big gaps at the top sides. Thanks

Get some sand paper on it and start shaping.
Is this your first home built car???

It will get better

3148markc 20th May 2018 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaguartvr (Post 95083)
Gap is too tight and straight. You need to try and curve the line slightly by taking away material from the bonnet and building it up on the scuttle. I would remove the material from the rear of the bonnet first to get the clearance and then attempt to build it up again on the main panel to close the gap again.

cheers. I'll take a look

3148markc 20th May 2018 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummajor (Post 95085)
Get some sand paper on it and start shaping.
Is this your first home built car???

It will get better

Yes it's my first. The sanding I think will take away what looks ok when closed

3148markc 20th May 2018 16:18

Going to slightly lift the brackets on the body as I think they have some play that way when opening it should be higher....hopefully lol just to now make a small mound out of filler on each side that mounds with the kit

2manytoys 20th May 2018 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3148markc (Post 95082)

Hi Mark , Can you relieve (remove some material) from the centre edge of the bonnet ? I fiddled and filled for yonks to get mine fitting and in the end settled for a compromise.

Lucky@LeMans 20th May 2018 21:17

You could look at getting some hinges that pivot further back onto the scuttle. When the bonnet is lifted it will rise away in a bigger arc and not touch, perhaps . You'll have to do some measuring.

Lucky@LeMans 20th May 2018 21:24

1 Attachment(s)
I'm thinking this style as fitted to the old Morris Oxford and still readily available.

Barber 21st May 2018 09:16

Looks to me like the gap should be consistent from hinge to hinge, so plenty you could take out there. But LLM's solution looks a good one, and would allow maximum flexibility on how much you want to remove.

lancelot link 21st May 2018 20:22

Also take some material off like a chamfered edge , leaving the outside edge as it is but cutting back on the rear edge , so the bottom of the panel is further in ..does that make sense ?

https://image.ibb.co/i4fR38/chamfer.png

This will keep the visually best gap you can on the outside but remove the material that is fouling immediately as you lift the panel ....one problem with opening panels on fibreglass cars is they are often thicker than their steel or ally counterparts ..therefore a slightly different approach is required ...

I have just done the chamfer trick on Ray's Formosa as it wasn't fouling , but was very close and didn't want the extra paint thickness to change anything ...

You will probably end up fettling and gapping again at the end of the build just prior to paint ..so don't get too involved in a job that might need re-doing later ...

3148markc 21st May 2018 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancelot link (Post 95109)
Also take some material off like a chamfered edge , leaving the outside edge as it is but cutting back on the rear edge , so the bottom of the panel is further in ..does that make sense ?

https://image.ibb.co/i4fR38/chamfer.png

This will keep the visually best gap you can on the outside but remove the material that is fouling immediately as you lift the panel ....one problem with opening panels on fibreglass cars is they are often thicker than their steel or ally counterparts ..therefore a slightly different approach is required ...

I have just done the chamfer trick on Ray's Formosa as it wasn't fouling , but was very close and didn't want the extra paint thickness to change anything ...

You will probably end up fettling and gapping again at the end of the build just prior to paint ..so don't get too involved in a job that might need re-doing later ...

Good idea may also do this as like you say once there's added paint thickness it'll go back to hitting the top. Will do this and also lift the brackets slightly on the body (like little mounds moulded in)

terryg 1st June 2018 10:09

fuel filler cap

Hi Mark, I saw on your thread that you did a great job on your fuel filler cap. Do you have any photographs or advice on how you achieved it? What parts did you use, etc.

Appreciate your help. Regards, Terry

3148markc 1st June 2018 11:23

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by terryg (Post 95335)
Hi Mark, I saw on your thread that you did a great job on your fuel filler cap. Do you have any photographs or advice on how you achieved it? What parts did you use, etc.

Appreciate your help. Regards, Terry

Hi Terry. I just used the original fuel pipe but cut off the connection and smoothed out the tube so that the original fuel hose went from the new cap to the fuel pipe, I then just ordered extra tubing so it reached the tank. Attached some pics for you.

terryg 1st June 2018 12:20

fuel filler cap

Cheers Mark, that helps me get my head around it! Thanks, Terry