Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Royale Sabre - Take two! (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3824)

peterux 19th January 2014 20:58

I've not updated for a while due to moving house. I've still got a long list of jobs to do, not least is to empty and refurbish my garage.

But I couldn't resit this car as a donor car that came up on Autotrader.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5472/1...49722e5733.jpg

It's actually a pretty cool car and I enjoyed the 75 mile drive home around the M25 and up the M1 :madgrin:
I plan to give it an oil service and then drive it around for a couple of weeks to see if it has any issues. It'll then be SORN'd and parked up in my back yard until I have time to start work on it.
Now, back to my list of DIY jobs....

P.S. it's a 1995 328i with a M52B28 engine and has clocked up 153k miles.

Patrick 20th January 2014 16:41

Nice bit rag top down driving ;)

peterux 21st January 2014 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick (Post 51088)
Nice bit rag top down driving ;)

a bit chilly in this weather :badgrin:

NigelB 22nd January 2014 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterux (Post 51149)
a bit chilly in this weather :badgrin:

But you're a hardened (ex) Marlin driver. :icon_wink:

No such thing as the wrong weather, just the wrong choice of clothes!!

peterux 23rd January 2014 18:55

I've also picked from ebay a pair of MX5 seats. It's going to be sometime before I can trail fit them in the Sabre but they came up at £40 and only a few miles from home. They'll be trial fitted and if OK will be recovered or traded in for a pair with new covers.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5520/1...7048e0a8_z.jpg

....peter

peterux 23rd January 2014 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by NigelB (Post 51184)
But you're a hardened (ex) Marlin driver. :icon_wink:

No such thing as the wrong weather, just the wrong choice of clothes!!

I had resisted trying the roof in case it got stuck down but surprisingly all the motors work fine.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5539/1...4d19f1f6_z.jpg

...but it seems the clutch is on it's last legs as I had trouble reversing up my drive the last time I parked it, so the car has probably now done it's last few miles :rip:

p.s. if anyone wants a complete black leather seats and interior, do let me know!! :lol:

p.p.s a Royale Sabre with a motorised hood would be pretty cool, eh? :eusa_think:

MartinClan 24th January 2014 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterux (Post 51256)
I've also picked from ebay a pair of MX5 seats. It's going to be sometime before I can trail fit them in the Sabre but they came up at £40 and only a few miles from home. They'll be trial fitted and if OK will be recovered or traded in for a pair with new covers.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5520/1...7048e0a8_z.jpg

....peter

They look familiar. £40 is a good price :-) I found recovering them fairly easy and the covers I bought from ebay were a good fit. No need to use the "proper" split ring thingies that upholsterers use - cable ties work fine. You do need strong fingers though...

Robin

AnthonyW. 2nd April 2014 14:19

Sabre Hood and and frame.

Hi Peter,
I have a Sabre with a hard top,and I want to fit a hood. I cannot get either the frame nor any drawings from AutoMotive Creations who are currently making the Sabre.

If you are refurbishing your car, I wonder whether I could borrow the frame and brackets so I could make drawings please.

Regards,

AnthonyW.

peterux 2nd April 2014 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnthonyW. (Post 53876)
Hi Peter,
I have a Sabre with a hard top,and I want to fit a hood. I cannot get either the frame nor any drawings from AutoMotive Creations who are currently making the Sabre.

If you are refurbishing your car, I wonder whether I could borrow the frame and brackets so I could make drawings please.

Regards,

AnthonyW.

Hi Anthony,
and a warm welcome to the MAKC forum!

I am a bit surprised that you cannot get a hood frame from Automotive Creations as it's listed in their Parts list on their website? Malcolm (Badger) is usually very helpful to existing owners and at £297.00 I can't see making one yourself makes much sense? But I guess I can see why Malcolm would be sensitive to releasing copies of the drawings to protect his investment.
My hood frame is all in pieces and packed away in one of my 'lock-ups' so it may take me a while to find it all again but I have started to slowly sort things out after moving house last year.

If you have no luck with Malcolm, then send me a PM with your contact details and I'm sure we can work something out.

best regards,

Peter

peterux 16th April 2014 22:26

Still working my way through my 'Honey do' list but made progress this week by demolishing the old log storage shelter to make way for a garden shed. This will free up space in the garage so I can move the Sabre to it's new home. It'll probably be another few months but in the meantime I've been buying and selling on that well known auction site and collecting together some more useful parts. Ford Sierra parts are now definitely becoming scarce and more expensive.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7362/...d49f56cb65.jpgCheap alloys by marlinpeter, on Flickr

I bought these wheels just to move the car around on as I'm selling the BMW Type 32's that came with the donor car. They cost me only £50 for 5 including an unused spare wheel and tyre. I've already sold the spare for £35 so they cost me £15!!

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7434/...864a70a1f3.jpgSteel wheels by marlinpeter, on Flickr
These are for the Sabre. Another ebay purchase and even though they are 11 years old they have been dry stored in a shed for 10 years. Colour coded to match the car paint and some nice shiny hub caps and I hope they will create the right effect. (Mark 1, Ford Focus, in case you wondered)

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3786/...d4b0b57fac.jpgSierra handbrake cables by marlinpeter, on Flickr
Sierra handbrake cables

I bought both of these cables from the same seller as they were listed under an obscure Unipart number and only £4.99 each. I need to get one of them shortened, but which one? The one on the left has a manufacturing date of 1995 whereas the one on the right was made in 2000. Was the change in bushes due to cost reduction, automation or an improvement due to failures of the earlier type?

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2910/...d9d31cbe1c.jpgFord Diffrential/final drive mounts by marlinpeter, on Flickr
Ford Differential/final drive mounts

On the left is a Granada diff mount compared with a Sierra version on the right. The Sabre chassis can take either type. The Granada version looks like a good option if the polybushed version is too stiff.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3713/...045ccf22de.jpgEvolution of Ford Uprights. by marlinpeter, on Flickr
The Evolution of Ford Uprights.
Far left is a Scorpio Cosworth upright and hub, in the centre is Mk 3 Granada knuckle and on the right is the standard Sierra upright. The plan is to try and use the Granada knuckles if the Scorpio hubs will fit. The advantage is that they are a bit more substantial and have 12mm bolt holes for the calipers which means I can use bigger brake discs and calipers. This is a bit of a side trial which has some way to go before I can be sure they will fit and not screw up the geometry, etc.
I'm also cleaning up the rear brake calipers to see if they are refurnishable or will be traded in.

that's all for now...

...peter

lordivanhoe 11th August 2014 10:43

Your Sabre build..

Peter, this is truly awesome.
With great sadness I am currently selling my own Sabre which I built 1997-2002 and have had on the road ever since - parenthood, career changes and a house purchase have all contributed to this fateful decision at this point in time.
However, on the plus side, I have promised myself (and have made SWMBO aware, without demur so far..!) that one day I will build another one (or, if the opportunity arises, do as you are doing and buy one needing rebuild)..
Loving your blog/build, it's really bringing back good memories and is inspirational. I was thinking about attempting to 're-enter the fray' in about two years' time (funds etc permitting!) and am already having all sorts of ideas about engine alternatives, etc, so to see the kind of work you are doing here is great. Mind you, it's really making my building fingers itch, I don't know if I can wait a full two years..!
I look forward to the next instalment and will follow with avid interest!

ps: anyone out there who knows, or hears of, a Sabre kit/part build/unfinished build/needs a rebuild at any time, I'd love to hear about it..!!

peterux 11th August 2014 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordivanhoe (Post 58423)
Peter, this is truly awesome.
With great sadness I am currently selling my own Sabre which I built 1997-2002 and have had on the road ever since - parenthood, career changes and a house purchase have all contributed to this fateful decision at this point in time.
However, on the plus side, I have promised myself (and have made SWMBO aware, without demur so far..!) that one day I will build another one (or, if the opportunity arises, do as you are doing and buy one needing rebuild)..
Loving your blog/build, it's really bringing back good memories and is inspirational. I was thinking about attempting to 're-enter the fray' in about two years' time (funds etc permitting!) and am already having all sorts of ideas about engine alternatives, etc, so to see the kind of work you are doing here is great. Mind you, it's really making my building fingers itch, I don't know if I can wait a full two years..!
I look forward to the next instalment and will follow with avid interest!

ps: anyone out there who knows, or hears of, a Sabre kit/part build/unfinished build/needs a rebuild at any time, I'd love to hear about it..!!

Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad you're enjoying the updates. (albeit a little slow progress since moving house last year).
Sorry to hear that you are selling your own car but I'd love to see any old build photo's if you have any?
Unfinished or neglected Sabres do seem to be rather rare but pop up occasionally. I'll let you know if I hear anything!

...peter

lordivanhoe 12th August 2014 08:10

Hey Peter, great to hear from you. Thanks, a Sabre in need of TLC may well be the most cost-effective way of getting one these days, I'm hoping.
I'll have a look and see what photos I might have knocking about, although I'm afraid they won't be as instructive as yours and there may not be many - my build was done in the days when most cameras were still filled with film..!! Cheers, Ivan. ps I recall a brief part-thread about wheels on your blog a while back, I'd be interested to hear what you think of my eventual solution.. ;-)

Amir Manzoori 30th August 2014 18:13

Dear Peter, it was nice seeing you at Donington show and to be able to recognise Peterux who's Sabre was the reason I had to find one to do up. I have been following your build, or should I say a first class rebuild, and hope to see more of your progress. Peter, if you ask me, I would advise leave every other task at hand and carry on with the Sabre. Just kidding, keep up the good work and good luck with everything.

peterux 30th August 2014 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amir Manzoori (Post 59090)
Dear Peter, it was nice seeing you at Donington show and to be able to recognise Peterux who's Sabre was the reason I had to find one to do up. I have been following your build, or should I say a first class rebuild, and hope to see more of your progress. Peter, if you ask me, I would advise leave every other task at hand and carry on with the Sabre. Just kidding, keep up the good work and good luck with everything.

Hi Amir,
likewise, it was great to meet you and Peter today.
You are making a very nice job of your car and I really enjoyed the my lift back to the car park :smile:
For other followers of these 'bespoke motor vehicles' here is a picture of your super car at the Knebworth Classic car show last week.
Hopefully I'll be back in my garage again soon....:noidea: (but I have been saying that for a while now! :sad:)

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5571/...9927c263_c.jpgRoyale Sabre - Knebworth 2014 by marlinpeter, on Flickr

....peter

Amir Manzoori 26th September 2014 06:17

Waiting

Dear Peter, Thank you so much for your comment and the picture. I must say, you are good photographer too, as I didn't have such a nice photo.
Talking to few people who in the past have indulged in our hubby, building, or rebuilding "bespoke automobiles" there are many who are following your build and like me, eagerly awaiting report of further progress in your project. We all hope your new house and larger garage encourages you to continue. Good luck with everything.

Amir Manzoori 5th October 2014 17:34

Hi Peter, its me again.
Remote servos, had an idea which I am implementing, with remote servos being fitted outside of engine bay all together, therefor not interfering with any components under the bonnet. Have made the brackets and mounted remote servos ready to be bolted onto the chassis. I have some pictures but somehow couldn't attache it. Please ring me and talk with me on 020 8453 1123.
All the best
Amir

peterux 6th October 2014 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amir Manzoori (Post 60281)
Hi Peter, its me again.
Remote servos, had an idea which I am implementing, with remote servos being fitted outside of engine bay all together, therefor not interfering with any components under the bonnet. Have made the brackets and mounted remote servos ready to be bolted onto the chassis. I have some pictures but somehow couldn't attache it.
All the best
Amir

Hi Amir,
that sounds very interesting, where are you thinking of mounting them on the chassis?
For posting pictures I always put mine on Flickr first and then add a link in my posts on this forum. I think you can still get a free Flickr account and there is also Photobucket but I haven't used that.
But I believe there are other ways of posting pictures on the forum directly.
I think this thread covers some ways to do it.....
http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...?t=3076&page=2
Post #21 has the instructions......for attaching directly to this forum without using Flickr.

....peter
P.S. still no progress on my Sabre but I have started to dismantle the BMW donor. I'm quite busy on ebay selling off bits I don't need :madgrin:

peterux 19th October 2014 17:42

Well, I haven't actually been building the Sabre but I have been doing some preparation work.
I've bought another 328 MS41 ECU and sent it off to have the EWS immobiliser deleted so that I don't have to transfer the BMW key sensor and associated gubbens. The ECU was from a 1997 328 Coupe which was still a single VANOS M52, so it should have similar engine Maps to mine. It also need its ABS signal limiter fixed so that the ECU doesn't limit the rpm without an ABS installed.
It's now installed in the car, in place of the original ECU, and works just fine with the EWS module removed and with the ABS disabled. With the new ECU installed and the EWS module removed you have to bridge Pins 1 and 3 to complete the starter motor circuit.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5610/...d0a53b66_z.jpgEngine running without the EWS module by marlinpeter, on Flickr
In the picture above you can spot the brown coloured bridging link in the yellow EWS module connector. The EWS module is lying on the floor to the right of the picture.

I had a bit of a worry when it was first installed because I was getting hunting of the idle between 300 to 700rpm. After some troubleshooting and head scratching I discovered it was a poor connection at the engine coolant temperature sensor plug. It just coincidently started when I changed the ECU. The troublesome coolant sensor has been replaced just in case it was on it's way out although I think it was just a poor connection.

Both my original ECU and the new one were flagging up a faulty Camshaft Sensor. After clearing the fault a few times it always came back after running the engine. I've swapped it out for a used BMW part as I had read that some of the aftermarket sensors aren't very good quality. The used sensor cost me £10 (inc. postage) and works fine so far. What was surprising was the unusually loud 'ticking' from the injectors has really quietened down and my exhaust is much cleaner and almost odourless. Ever since I've had the car it has had a very smelly exhaust which filled my garage with fumes even though the car is parked about 10 foot from the door. What i realise now is that with the camshaft sensor not working the ECU was effectively overfuelling at idle. (I had previously assumed the CAT was knackered).

I will continue to check over the engine and ancillaries until I'm ready to remove the engine and gearbox....

I've also been busy removing and selling parts that will not be needed for the Sabre. When I built my Marlin Sportster, I dismantled the donor car and then sold off the unwanted parts. This time i'm selling all the unwanted parts first so I am not have to store them all and have them getting in the way, etc. I've sold the alloy wheels, seats, door cards, armrest, glovebox, hood motors and a variety of other small parts. So far I've made £600 (not including ebay fees) so I'm on track to fully recover the cost of my donor car. :smile:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3954/...4e01ac8e_c.jpge36 Donor car dismantling by marlinpeter, on Flickr

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3932/...89804bc7_c.jpge36 Donor car dismantling by marlinpeter, on Flickr

...peter

Amir Manzoori 20th October 2014 06:22

Remote servo

5 Attachment(s)
Hi Peter,
I have managed to put some pictures which shows the original sketches, the bracket and position the brackets and remote servos would be fitted, underside of both front wings, how it can easily be covered from the elements with light weight material which can easily be removed for service. Hope this is useful.

Attachment 1671

Attachment 1672

Attachment 1673

Attachment 1674

Attachment 1675

peterux 20th October 2014 15:57

Hi Amir,
that is an ingenious idea. I had not considered using the spaces under the front wings!
Do you have a particular servo in mind?

...peter

Amir Manzoori 20th October 2014 16:37

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Peter,
The two Remote Servos were purchased from Powertrack Limited, Lockheed Servo Installation kit, I believe Part No: PT726798, at least this is what we have been invoiced. and the picture of one positioned under the wing is attached.Attachment 1676

Amir Manzoori 20th October 2014 16:56

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, the picture was wrong one, I attach the right one, I hope.Attachment 1678

peterux 23rd January 2015 19:30

The beginning of the end....

...or is it the end of the beginning?

Whatever, it's time to finish stripping down my donor car for the engine and ancillaries for my Royale Sabre build.
I thought it best to start underneath the car so raised it on axle stands and ran the engine for the last time to warm it up before draining the oil. I also disconnected and removed the battery for safety.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7475/...e741a740_b.jpge36 Donor Strip down by marlinpeter, on Flickr

After dosing all the exhaust mounting nuts with penetrating oil spray I stopped for lunch while the oil did its stuff. Upon return I moved underneath the car and removed the entire exhaust system in one piece. The usual arguments with a load of rusty nuts but no major dramas.
I'm not yet sure if I will use this exhaust system (suitably shortened) on the Sabre but it is in good condition and has some interesting features.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8589/...22f29863_b.jpge36 Donor Exhaust system by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Cat heat shields in good nick but a bit loose so will need to be re-fixed if this system is used.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8603/...01b58a11_b.jpge36 Donor Exhaust system by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Strange device at the back which is a Vibration Absorber according to realoem

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7472/...0f222bd2_b.jpge36 Donor Exhaust system by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Back box has two routes to the tailpipes. One is only opened by a neat little flap controlled by vacuum from the inlet manifold and the ECU above 2500rpm. I believe it is to make the car quieter at low rpm.

I then made a start on removing the propshaft but ran out of light (and heat!!) so that's all for now but hopefully updates will be more frequent this year :smile:

....peter

Amir Manzoori 24th January 2015 06:07

Good to see you are still at it.

Welcome back to the world of bespoke cars.
Like me, I am sure there are number of Royale Sabre lovers out there waiting to see more of your build.
Had an idea which I thought to share with you;
We all try to keep water out of the passenger compartment, and one place which is very hard to do anything about, once the build is complete, is three windscreen wiper spindle and the washer jet. Moving the washer jet onto the bonnet just above the heater, one on each panel, and filling the original hole, and fitting a gutter like channel to run under the three wiper spindles, which has to be done before the dashboard is fitted, with drain pipe either side which can then be guided out through hole in the floor.
Good luck and see you soon.

peterux 25th January 2015 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amir Manzoori (Post 62931)
Welcome back to the world of bespoke cars.
Like me, I am sure there are number of Royale Sabre lovers out there waiting to see more of your build.
Had an idea which I thought to share with you;
We all try to keep water out of the passenger compartment, and one place which is very hard to do anything about, once the build is complete, is three windscreen wiper spindle and the washer jet. Moving the washer jet onto the bonnet just above the heater, one on each panel, and filling the original hole, and fitting a gutter like channel to run under the three wiper spindles, which has to be done before the dashboard is fitted, with drain pipe either side which can then be guided out through hole in the floor.
Good luck and see you soon.

Thanks for the welcome back, I'm hoping to make better progress this year! Thanks for the tip about water leaks around the wiper spindles. I had not heard about this issue on Sabres. I'll try to remember when I get to that part of my build which is some way off :lol:

peterux 15th March 2015 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterux (Post 62926)
....... so that's all for now but hopefully updates will be more frequent this year :smile:

Famous last words!!

But dismantling now under-way again....

A shot of the engine and ancillaries after removing front grill, radiator, rad fan and aircon radiator, etc.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8585/...e1a3169c_z.jpgM52B28 Reference photo by marlinpeter, on Flickr

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8570/...1fec69bd_z.jpgM52B28 Reference photo by marlinpeter, on Flickr

I've been carefully labelling up the engine loom and taking lots of refrence photo's as I remove parts.

...peter

peterux 20th March 2015 21:22

Slowly, slowly.....

This week I've been focussing on labelling and removing the engine loom taking the opportunity to collect any useful parts for the rebuild. I've also been taking copious reference photo's to help my memory when it comes to re-assembly. From experience I know it can be months or years before the engine will be re-installed so just relying on your memory of where things go is not a good idea.

First to be removed was the throttle body and associated hoses....

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8738/...a92441d1_z.jpgReference photo by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Next it was attacking the inlet manifold. You have to remove the heater fresh air scoop to be able to get to the rear manifold nuts and the fuel lines which are tucked right at the back of the engine bay.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8684/...e07b7100_z.jpgReference photo by marlinpeter, on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7616/...64c3146b_z.jpgReference photo by marlinpeter, on Flickr

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8748/...e1854fe6_z.jpgReference photo by marlinpeter, on Flickr

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8671/...0761aab0_z.jpgReference photo by marlinpeter, on Flickr

With the inlet manifold removed I could remove all the remaining engine loom connections....The last was the reverse light switch which is mounted on the side of the gearbox and the lead is clipped to the top edge of the gearbox which makes it tricky to remove.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8663/...1ab6e715_z.jpgEngine loom removed by marlinpeter, on Flickr

And finally it was a spell back under the car to finish removing the propshaft....

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7602/...b37e562c_z.jpgEngine Loom and propshaft by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Getting closer to removing the engine in a couple of weeks time...

...peter

peterux 22nd March 2015 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterux (Post 51057)
I've not updated for a while due to moving house. I've still got a long list of jobs to do, not least is to empty and refurbish my garage.

But I couldn't resit this car as a donor car that came up on Autotrader.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5472/1...49722e5733.jpg

It's actually a pretty cool car and I enjoyed the 75 mile drive home around the M25 and up the M1 :madgrin:
I plan to give it an oil service and then drive it around for a couple of weeks to see if it has any issues. It'll then be SORN'd and parked up in my back yard until I have time to start work on it.
Now, back to my list of DIY jobs....

P.S. it's a 1995 328i with a M52B28 engine and has clocked up 153k miles.

Sales of the unwanted parts from my donor car have been very slow since Christmas but with the sale of the front foglights this weekend I have now recovered the full cost of the car and still have a small box of parts to sell. (Including an allowance for ebay and shipping fees)

So I've got my engine for free and would highly recommend buying a cabriolet donor as there is so much more to sell :madgrin:

peterux 29th March 2015 21:33

Engine and Gearbox out!

My good friend Robin (aka Martinclan) came over last Friday to help remove my BMW engine and and gearbox.

With the engine hoist at the ready it didn't take us long before the engine and gearbox was out.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7636/...af8702d4_z.jpgEngine crane and balance bar by marlinpeter, on Flickr

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8725/...142cb647_z.jpgEngine out by marlinpeter, on Flickr
(Forgot to take a picture before we separated the gearbox)

The engine and gearbox are now safely stored in my garage pending the clean-up.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8739/...fffd26b4_z.jpgEngine stored in garage by marlinpeter, on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7614/...ac5c0ee1_z.jpgM52B28 Engine by marlinpeter, on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7646/...e4bced22_z.jpgEngine safely stored on stand by marlinpeter, on Flickr

We spent the rest of the day retrieving all remaining saleable parts. I've just got a few small parts left to remove and then it will be call to the local scrap yard to remove what's left.

...peter

peterux 5th April 2015 18:01

Engine Donor gone!

Finished stripping the engine donor car of any useful parts....

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8703/...da122039_z.jpgDonor car stripped and ready to go.. by marlinpeter, on Flickr

....and there it was gone!

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7589/...dd4cb0dc_z.jpgDonor car gone..... by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Thanks to the local dissmantler.

Now onto organising the move of the Sabre chassis and bodywork from the lock-up. :smile:

....peter

peterux 16th May 2015 22:17

Well not a lot of car building progress but I have managed to get the Sabre transported from it's lock-up garage to my own garage at home. This is about 18 months after I moved house and it means my house move is now complete and it's finally goodbye to the lock-up garage I've had for over 11 years.

First job was bolt the main body tub and the front wings back on to the rolling chassis so that I could get the whole lot transported in one journey. I'd forgotten how many nuts and bolts there are but here it is just prior to collection and transportation.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8772/1...de84362b_z.jpgRe-assembled for transporting by marlinpeter, on Flickr

I found a nice man on ebay that promptly collected the car and delivered it back home. Excellent service!

And here it is back home.....

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8875/1...2435c1f6_z.jpgRelocated from lock-up to home garage by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Then it was time to remove the front wings again.....

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5454/1...bfa6c473_z.jpgWings removed again. by marlinpeter, on Flickr

And store the wings in the roof space of my garage.....

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5325/1...9ffb8bc1_z.jpgNearside wing by marlinpeter, on Flickr

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7682/1...e1d58ee2_z.jpgOffside wing by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Finally, it was birthday time again and my wife got me some of these...

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7735/1...bdb58ebf_z.jpgBirthday present time! by marlinpeter, on Flickr

....more soon....

...Peter

peterux 23rd May 2015 20:21

Progress Report and a remarkable discovery....

The next job was to hoist the central body tub off the rolling chassis on to a trolley that I built from surplus timber and some old supermarket wheels that I've used before during my Marlin Sportster build.

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7657/1...bdbb5eca_z.jpgBody tub on trolley by marlinpeter, on Flickr

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5337/1...63e45512_z.jpgBody tub trolley by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Which got me back to the rolling chassis stage where i was in January 2013 :shocked:

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7675/1...40780c24_z.jpgRolling chassis May 2015 by marlinpeter, on Flickr

It has faired reasonably well in my damp unheated lockup garage but there is some surface rust on unpainted parts. It is also covered in spiders 'poo' which is surprisingly hard to remove.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8805/1...644a6ac2_z.jpgRolling Chassis May 2015 by marlinpeter, on Flickr

I next moved on to thinking about the engine mounts so thought I would try the BMW M52 mounts and amazingly discovered they are a near perfect fit :high5: (Now the chassis was built in 1994 and designed for a Ford DOHC engine and the BMW was not built until August 1995 - how weird?)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8841/1...659ee28b_z.jpgM52TU block with M52 engine mounts by marlinpeter, on Flickr

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7786/1...36e1caa4_z.jpgM52 OS engine mount by marlinpeter, on Flickr

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7724/1...69f912d4_z.jpgM52 NS engine mount by marlinpeter, on Flickr

The sump is pefectly horozontal and the only issues are a slight angular mis-alignment.....

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5453/1...8649d7fd_z.jpgSlight angular misalignment by marlinpeter, on Flickr

....and I have about 25mm clearance around the top and back of the crossmember which is a little too much as I want to get the engine as low and as far forward as I can get it.

Next job is to check the clearance with the 'real' engine as I've noticed a difference between the 1995 and 1998 sumps.

More updates soon.......

....peter

vandriver 25th May 2015 11:05

Looking good! Keep us posted peter.

Patrick 25th May 2015 11:50

Excellent progress :D Nice :)

MartinClan 26th May 2015 08:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterux (Post 67383)
Progress Report and a remarkable discovery....

The next job was to hoist the central body tub off the rolling chassis on to a trolley that I built from surplus timber and some old supermarket wheels that I've used before during my Marlin Sportster build.

Which got me back to the rolling chassis stage where i was in January 2013 :shocked:

[It has faired reasonably well in my damp unheated lockup garage but there is some surface rust on unpainted parts. It is also covered in spiders 'poo' which is surprisingly hard to remove.

I next moved on to thinking about the engine mounts so thought I would try the BMW M52 mounts and amazingly discovered they are a near perfect fit :high5: (Now the chassis was built in 1994 and designed for a Ford DOHC engine and the BMW was not built until August 1995 - how weird?)

The sump is pefectly horozontal and the only issues are a slight angular mis-alignment.....

....and I have about 25mm clearance around the top and back of the crossmember which is a little too much as I want to get the engine as low and as far forward as I can get it.

Next job is to check the clearance with the 'real' engine as I've noticed a difference between the 1995 and 1998 sumps.

More updates soon.......

....peter

That chassis looks even better than the Marlin one. No wonder the kits were so expensive - there must be 100's of hours of work in there....

I wouldn't have thought that the slight angular misplacement would cause any issues. One andvantage of using rubber engine mounts.
I guess that once you mount the "real" engine along with all its ancilliaries the extra weight would cause it to drop a few mm - it might even gain you the few mm that you want to lower it.
Being able to use standard engine mounts is a big benefit!

Cheers, Robin

peterux 26th May 2015 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinClan (Post 67445)
That chassis looks even better than the Marlin one. No wonder the kits were so expensive - there must be 100's of hours of work in there....

I wouldn't have thought that the slight angular misplacement would cause any issues. One andvantage of using rubber engine mounts.
I guess that once you mount the "real" engine along with all its ancilliaries the extra weight would cause it to drop a few mm - it might even gain you the few mm that you want to lower it.
Being able to use standard engine mounts is a big benefit!

Cheers, Robin

Hi Robin,

Well it's certainly no light weight sports car chassis!!

Being able to use the standard engine mounts is certainly a real bonus (and a big surprise :shock:) so I'm going try them with the full weight of the engine before making any other mods.

....peter

8 Valve Ed 26th May 2015 23:20

At least it's on the 'heel' of the mount rather than the 'toe', you can, to could buy tapered washers to use with rolled steel Joists (RSJ's) to accommodate the taper of the flanges, not beyond the scope of an angle grinder to make some from thick washers.

Looking good! You need a little good luck from time to time.

peterux 27th May 2015 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8 Valve Ed (Post 67475)
At least it's on the 'heel' of the mount rather than the 'toe', you can, to could buy tapered washers to use with rolled steel Joists (RSJ's) to accommodate the taper of the flanges, not beyond the scope of an angle grinder to make some from thick washers.

Looking good! You need a little good luck from time to time.

Yes, I did find some of those 'I-Beam' tapered washers on ebay but like you thought I'd have a bash at making some, so I have ordered some thick square washers.
The material around the bolt hole in the mounts is are about 10 mm thick so I may just take a bit off the 'heel'

peterux 31st May 2015 21:27

Drivetrain trial fitting

So having discovered that the standard BMW engine mounts appear to work it was time to try the 'real' M52B28 engine, rather than my bits and pieces of a gash engine.

First job though was to clean up the engine and gearbox....

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8812/1...ca12d9f5_z.jpgEngine cleaning is progress by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Then it was out with the engine hoist and in with the engine....

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7794/1...e49897ba_z.jpgM52B28 engine installation. by marlinpeter, on Flickr

The engine will be cleaned up properly and painted before final fitting.

It was then a relatively simple task of bolting on the gearbox.....

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7751/1...39e5be6a_z.jpgM52B28 and gearbox by marlinpeter, on Flickr

So far so good, but I still felt I needed to find a way of moving the engine forward a bit to clear the central body tub. The body tub is very heavy and is a three man lift so not easy to keep trail fitting.

To move the whole drivetrain forward a bit I bought some of these Volvo engine mounting rubbers that have offset mounting studs. The studs are offset by 35mm.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8772/1...43b3fc04_z.jpgVolvo engine mount by marlinpeter, on Flickr

They look a bit odd but seem to work OK.....

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7795/1...6ce83ce0_z.jpgVolvo engine mounts by marlinpeter, on Flickr

....more fitting trials this week......

....peter