Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sammio Builds and discussions (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Oxford build (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3569)

WorldClassAccident 27th May 2013 20:40

That looks the nuts mat

Pistachio nuts?

Paul L 31st May 2013 06:06

Oxford - All looks good so far, so I hope you have a productive weekend.

Good luck, Paul. :)

oxford1360 31st May 2013 08:47

Morning Paul - if all goes to plan (ha ha) I might have the bell-housing built-up with new arm and release bearing, and attached to the gearbox.

I picked-up my flywheel yesterday that has had a new starter ring fitted. I shall fit this to the engine, whack on the clutch and I hope to bolt box to engine. If I achieve this I will be happy.

Then, one evening next week......engine and box in chassis. Hurrah.

oxford1360 31st May 2013 21:33

Tidied the man-cave in readiness for tomorrow. It meant pushing the chassis outside into daylight for the first time in six months........and the bench is ready.

mikmiglia 31st May 2013 21:51

Looking amazing , top work mate:yo:

oxford1360 2nd June 2013 18:26

A few more hours this weekend. I'm just about where I planned to be.

From this pic you can see that the fan belt is too long. I ordered a Spitfire Mk IV item because I had switched to an alternator. Stupid me; the dynamo/alternator pulleys are very similar sizes, but the crank pulley on a Mk IV is much bigger than a 13/60....hence the belt is too long.

The pic also shows the problem of having gone too green. The alternator stands out like a sore thumb. Might just flat-off the plastic back-casing and give it the treatment.

Spot the really embarrassing item above.......yes, once I'd spun the oil filter on it just looked too white so I flatted it off and gave it a coat of green.

And, of you think that is bad, this takes the biscuit. The obsession is now out of hand.

I don't want to fit the distributor just yet as I will probably damage it when I lift the lump into the chassis...........which should be this week.

phil9 7th June 2013 07:15

i thank this car is going too look fab ..that how to do it .....very nice

oxford1360 7th June 2013 07:50

Paul, Mike,Phil - thanks for the positive comments. They help to keep the spirits up and to keep things moving. I'm actually hoping to start on the floor pan this weekend which is proper Sammio/Ribble stuff rather than restoration. Then it's frame fabrication which I am really looking forward to. Cutting, welding and grinding is good for the soul - especially when you have a new chop saw.

Paul L 7th June 2013 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxford1360 (Post 44106)
... The obsession is now out of hand ...

Put the green paint brush down, and step away from the fumes.

:icon_wink:

Jokes, aside, I'm looking forward to seeing how you are going to build the frame.

IIRC you were planning both a flip front & back, or am I mixing that up with one of your previous builds?

Good luck, Paul. :)

Viatron 7th June 2013 21:06

Coming along nicely Rob, its errr very green! :-)

oxford1360 7th June 2013 21:15

Thank you, Dr Viatron, you may have saved my life.

Paul, yes, the plan is to go for a flip-back which will include a boot. But, I may be being over-ambitious with my glassing skills. Whatever happens, it should be fun viewing for you guys. And, getting the removable roll hoops to look OK will be even more comedy.

Roll on the next 18 months.

oxford1360 15th June 2013 18:21

Pictures.......

They say that a picture speaks a thousand words. Well, two of those are "f*****g hallelujah".

And, just a little reminder of a year ago.

"Operation Floorpan" should begin next week.

I'm very pleased with the ride height. The front of the siderail sits 1.5cm lower than the rear which, in my book, is perfect.

garyh 15th June 2013 20:40

O, looks amazing... those wheels are going to look great. Have you squirted an waxoyl into the chassis?

Viatron 15th June 2013 20:57

So nice it seems a shame to put a body on it!

oxford1360 15th June 2013 21:30

Gary - thanks - Waxoyl is on my "to do" list before the floor goes on.

V - I know what you mean, but I'll still know what is underneath. I've always liked that Triumph promotional picture of the chap sitting on a Herald rolling chassis.

phil9 15th June 2013 22:28

top work love the be for pic its going to be a fab car great stuff

Paul L 17th June 2013 19:05

Oxford - That before & after photo looks very good, you have really brought that back from the dead. :cool:

Good luck with the floors, Paul. :)

garyh 20th June 2013 11:27

O, did you just cut your springs?

oxford1360 20th June 2013 12:23

Gary, no I didn't cut them. Whilst I have no reason to question the practice (it's how I lowered my Beta HPE when I was a lad, and it was fine), I just don't like the way that a cut spring doesn't have a flat head.

I bought a pair of these (see below) on eBay as "upgraded" Spitfire springs. They had been purchased as part of an abandoned project. Like you, I was looking for ~280 lb (or even softer) springs in this length, but could not find them anywhere. Hence, I assumed that the red ones are 330lb. I was able to fit them to the shocker (just) without the need to compress them.

I have a 1" lowering block on the rear and, now that the engine is in the chassis, I am very pleased with the stance. I did do the unscientific test of standing on the front cross tube and bouncing up and down. It did not feel anything like as stiff as I was anticipating. However, I still expect it to be a firmer ride than I would like when it is finally on the road.

And, of course, they are not red anymore We'll just have to wait and see how much flex the paint can deal with.

This site is interesting if you haven't already seen it -
http://auskellian.com/paul/links_fil...hancements.htm

I'm not saying that I agree with everything, but it is interesting background reading.

Viatron 20th June 2013 12:43

On the point of springs does anyone know definatively what the standard front spring poundage is on a spitfire? I found this:

http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/springs.htm

Based on the standard of 180lb 330lb sound very hard, hence im now questioing the info in the link.