Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bodywork (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Dealing with heat under bonnet (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6927)

DaveP 26th November 2018 22:09

Dealing with heat under bonnet

Hi all,
If you have not seen my build thread you will not have seen my Tribute Kobra with a twist.
I have had the bonnet scoop deleted (as they say somewhere) and so the air flow above the engine has less option to escape.
I’ve had the car painted and will be using it soon again. If I was concerned about the heat what would be a good way of deflecting/reflecting heat?
Underside of the bonnet is flow coated (grey not black) if that makes a difference to what would stick.
I’m not overly concerned but better safe than sorry etc
Dave

redratbike 27th November 2018 17:36

The adhesive gold foil stuff

DaveP 29th November 2018 21:38

Cheers.

Will look at suppliers

Dave

Lucky@LeMans 29th November 2018 23:09

I really don't think you will have a problem. The Z3 didn't have a vent and the slot in a Cobra bonnet isn't big enough to let much heat out when the car is at a stand still. When your on the move the air flow through the front grill and over the engine will take most of the heat with it.

DaveP 30th November 2018 07:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 97874)
I really don't think you will have a problem. The Z3 didn't have a vent and the slot in a Cobra bonnet isn't big enough to let much heat out when the car is at a stand still. When your on the move the air flow through the front grill and over the engine will take most of the heat with it.

Thanks. After getting it done I’m paranoid about issues. I drive it home Monday so picks on my build thread will follow.

Dave

Car photographer 16th December 2018 14:30

would exhaust manifold heat wrap stuff help?

DaveP 16th December 2018 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car photographer (Post 98122)
would exhaust manifold heat wrap stuff help?

it might do yes. There is a gap above the beemer straight six and the bonnet so i will take a look. Now that it has been painted i was a bit paranoid. I bet I am worrying unnecessarily.

will keep an eye on things during the winter and look at options in the spring.

Dave

Nostromo 16th December 2018 20:43

Instead of deflecting or reflecting the heat away, what about ducting some more in? Just a thought...

DaveP 16th December 2018 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostromo (Post 98145)
Instead of deflecting or reflecting the heat away, what about ducting some more in? Just a thought...

Good point. But dammit I have spent time cleaning up the front and having less intakes. It does have a dirty great mouth grill though so I could see how to influence how that comes in if required.

Thanks for the suggestion

Dave

Dpaz 19th March 2019 21:24

Is the radiator masked around the sides so that the air has to go through it and not around it?

DaveP 19th March 2019 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dpaz (Post 99679)
Is the radiator masked around the sides so that the air has to go through it and not around it?

Hi, it is not as such no. But given the mouth is the only inlet most would go that way. Will take a look next time it’s out to see if I can direct it more so.

Dave

Dpaz 20th March 2019 08:56

The air goes through the rad, then round the edges and back in. Turbulence. Mask it off and you make a cleaner airflow through the engine room.

Welshkiwi 20th April 2020 06:31

Hi Dave P, not sure whether you sorted the heat scenario, however just for info for all I fitted the original z3 bonnet heat blanket using self manufacturer or clip fittings. Reduced the heat that amassed into the bonnet significantly and it is now cool to touch even after 20mins idling on the driveway....hope it helps someone.

DaveP 20th April 2020 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welshkiwi (Post 103942)
Hi Dave P, not sure whether you sorted the heat scenario, however just for info for all I fitted the original z3 bonnet heat blanket using self manufacturer or clip fittings. Reduced the heat that amassed into the bonnet significantly and it is now cool to touch even after 20mins idling on the driveway....hope it helps someone.

Thanks for the suggestion. As it has turned out so far my concerns have not been warranted. So far it cools well and I have not noticed any heat build up.

Purely panic attacking post an expensive paint job. 18 months later and no paint-grp issues to note.

Loving your build by the way.

Keep safe

Dave