Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Longest Sportster Build Ever (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5987)

Alfie 15th June 2016 14:31

Longest Sportster Build Ever

Hi everyone.
It's been a very very long time since I posted on here, for a variety of reasons which I will not bore you with now. What I would like to say is, after very many health and personal issues but refusing to give up, my E30 Sportster finally, finally passed IVA yesterday.
WhooHoo!!........one very happy chappie. Cannot quite believe it...... it's only taken 12, yes 12 years but we got there. Is this a record?
One slight downer......Just had a conversation with a very helpful lady at DVLA who said registration can take up to 6 weeks but after all this time I guess I can wait a little longer. Just be glad to get on the road while there's still some summer left. Can I also add my congrats to 6981Marlin on your pass. Great feeling isn't it?

phil.coyle 15th June 2016 15:06

Well done, it isn't how long it takes, it's the accomplishment and achievement . Six weeks it will only be August and then golden days of September, keep looking forward.

6981marlin 15th June 2016 15:59

Congratulation, you beat mine by a year. My kit was bought in 2005. Its a fantastic feeling to finally get over a big milestone. Where did you get yours tested ?

Patrick 15th June 2016 19:24

Well done :)

Alfie 15th June 2016 21:26

I don't feel so embarrassed now if you took 11 years! My test and retest and re-retest were done at Exeter. The guys there were very helpful...... professional but friendly, explaining their decisions clearly and recommending how to correct things. The car didn't fail by too much on the first test and, to be honest, the second failure was due to me not sorting trivial things properly and rushing to do it at the last minute, tidying wiring etc. (apart from self centreing which was my major headache). All sorted now though so very happy

Mike 17th June 2016 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfie (Post 80262)
I don't feel so embarrassed now if you took 11 years! My test and retest and re-retest were done at Exeter. The guys there were very helpful...... professional but friendly, explaining their decisions clearly and recommending how to correct things. The car didn't fail by too much on the first test and, to be honest, the second failure was due to me not sorting trivial things properly and rushing to do it at the last minute, tidying wiring etc. (apart from self centreing which was my major headache). All sorted now though so very happy

Alfie
Congratulations, and well done for perseverance.
You are certainly not alone - it took me 9 years to get my Cabrio to IVA, and only now, 2 years further on has it been painted.......... And I still have to put it back together again, so it too will have been 11 years to "completion".

How about some photos of your Sportster?
What engine have you installed?

Mike

MartinClan 17th June 2016 21:29

Well done! You must have started building about the same time as me then :-). Good year that...

Robin

Alfie 18th June 2016 15:40

Definitely don't feel so bad now then. Robin, I believe we may have met at Stoneleigh many years ago when we were just starting our projects. My donor was an E30 2.5i M20 engine......30 years old now but runs beautifully. Not being a mechanic or engineer, all I did to it was change the cambelt, oil and filters, thermostat and water pump and strip and clean the injection system. She has never failed to start first time, despite literally being left for months and sometimes years untouched. Now that we are legal I will probably feel inclined to do a bit more "tarting up". I will try and post some pics shortly.