Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marlin 5exi builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Re-call of top suspension arms on EXi's (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2333)

5EXi girl 15th September 2009 16:52

Re-call of top suspension arms on EXi's

To all EXi owners

It has come to our attention that a 2nd EXi top rear suspension arm has failed. It is then prudent for me to request that all suspension arms are either retuned to me for inspection and replacement (if deemed necessary) or that very clear and distinct photographs be sent so that I may satisfy myself that no general design/fabrication problem exists.

To clarify: Through the period of production there have been some minor variations in assembly. These differences in assembly have not apparently been a problem except in these two specific circumstances and I can not be sure that this has not come about because the builders chose to substitute Marlin parts when constructing their EXi’s and that these other parts may have had a degree of responsibility for the parts failure.

I would also like to mention that the EXi suspension & hub components are in their 3rd and 4th generation of development and improvement. The suspension package that is now fitted and sold in the standard EXi kit has been independently confirmed to be better than (and a lot more cost effective) than those supplied by some suspension design companies.
The standard of workmanship fabrication and welding is also of the highest standard.

Do bear in mind that the EXi has proven to be capable of better than 1.10’s at Castle Combe and that all newly race designed suspension components are retro-fitable even to the earliest T5 chassis and very competitively priced.

As with all work of this type you will be expected to cover all reasonable wear & tear and carriage costs before parts will be returned to you.

Enthusiastic Regards
Mark and Terry Matthews

DavidH 15th September 2009 17:12

I'd like to say thanks for the fast response on this. It reassuring that as soon as a potential reoccuring issue has been identified you are taking this step.

David.

bigrich 15th September 2009 19:38

Terry,

I'll take photos of my top wishbones and send them in ASAP for looking over....although they are of the earlier manufacture that doesn't seem to have suffered the failure mode. Hopefully you can assess the condition without the need for me to dismantle the car and send the parts.

I am concerned that you believe other non-Marlin parts may have 'had a degree of responsibility for the parts failure'. Can you please be more specific as to the 'non Marlin' parts involved and, importantly, how they may have contributed to the wishbone failure, so that I and others on the forum can satisfy ourselves that our cars are not at risk. Safety is obviously paramount to us all.

Thanks

Richard

5EXi girl 16th September 2009 17:45

Hi Richard

To be more specific the non Marlin parts that I am referring to is the method and positioning of rear hub steering controls. When the suspension was originally designed the steering arm was connected to a suspension arm leg. I thereby guaranteed that its pivoting location was correct and sufficiently constant.

My worry is if it has been decided to locate that steering arm in any other way or using any other components than I made I am fearful that in doing so someone could make a slight error and therefore create unacceptable twisting forces.

It is, of course, not a problem to mount the arm else where but I simply do not want to be held responsible for the integrity and stability of my parts when only a part of my assembly has been used. I hope that anybody reading this understands my position.

Regards
Mark

Just to be clear I have asked for both front & rear suspension arms to be photographed or returned for inspection so that we can see that all suspension arms being used are not showing any signs of distress regardless.