Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Build Chat (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Wrap (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7074)

Hughandjen 23rd May 2019 10:56

Wrap

Has anyone chosen to wrap their car rather than spray paint. If so how did it turn out
It seems very cost effective

Lucky@LeMans 23rd May 2019 14:39

There was a 250 SWB I remember from a couple of years ago that was wrapped in blue vinyl, it looked pretty good.
Thing is it isn't a long term finish. Give it two or three years and expect to see peeling edges and colour changes if left out in any weather for any length of time.

Hughandjen 23rd May 2019 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 100541)
There was a 250 SWB I remember from a couple of years ago that was wrapped in blue vinyl, it looked pretty good.
Thing is it isn't a long term finish. Give it two or three years and expect to see peeling edges and colour changes if left out in any weather for any length of time.

That is what is bothering me as I want to keep my 250 for several years at least. Maybe painting is the way to go
Thanks

Munky 26th May 2019 02:20

Having wrapped a couple of cars with 3M wrap, I think you would be surprised by how long it lasts. My Atom is wrapped and it has been so for 4+ years now (but spends its stored life inside).
It’s a complete bugger to wrap compound surfaces. I made it worse for my self by using white carbon fiber look on one car and the areas of stretch were very noticeable.
All that said, unless I was changing a car colour and the car was worth more if left in the original paint (like my old 911) I would still go for paint rather than a wrap.

Hughandjen 26th May 2019 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munky (Post 100576)
Having wrapped a couple of cars with 3M wrap, I think you would be surprised by how long it lasts. My Atom is wrapped and it has been so for 4+ years now (but spends its stored life inside).
It’s a complete bugger to wrap compound surfaces. I made it worse for my self by using white carbon fiber look on one car and the areas of stretch were very noticeable.
All that said, unless I was changing a car colour and the car was worth more if left in the original paint (like my old 911) I would still go for paint rather than a wrap.

It looks like consensus of opinion is to paint it. So that is probably the way I will go. I had an old 911, a 1984 targa sc. one of those cars I wish I hadn’t sold😩. I would not have entertained putting a wrap on that car, but in that case originality is king.

Munky 26th May 2019 19:01

911 prices will be coming back down over the next 12 months.
You will be able to pick that targa back up if you want to, but I think you will have more fun with the 250.

I have a couple of 911s here in the US (a 75 and an 86). One a peach, the other a project - so I’ve been watching the market closely...

I think I can see another kit in my future.