Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marlin 5exi builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   one for post sva! (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1770)

craig 25th June 2008 12:15

one for post sva!

I am thinking about post sva and what needs etc etc

And I am thinking that I will take out the windscreen and replace with a heated jobby........my reasoning behind this is that I can then ditch the heater and associated gubbins which will save considerable weight!

Has anyone considered this/done this??

Pros and cons

Craig

limpabit 25th June 2008 14:32

I did think about this, but the price of an elise heated windscreen, put me off. Plus on them cold drives, you can't beat a nice warm Rover heater!

SDMC001 25th June 2008 16:34

Craig

I have to agree totally with John, I do use my heater alot (whimp I know), I did not even know there was an Elise heated screen. How about the small electric demisters such as from Car Builders Solutions, probably cheaper that a new screen.

Steve

craig 25th June 2008 17:34

hmmm I suppose I should wait until I have driven it a while before I decide as I would not want to dump the heater and find out later I needed it!!

Heated screens are relatively cheap though about £200

alackofspeed 25th June 2008 18:41

I've used my heater far too much to ever want to be rid of it! From past experiences of convertibles, I know that even in the summer months there will be times I want a heater.

Might be different in Newcastle, as wearing anything more than a pair of trousers and a shirt in the middle of winter is deemed pansy! Down here, we're just soft southern fairies that like to keep warm!

craig 25th June 2008 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by alackofspeed (Post 12496)

Might be different in Newcastle, as wearing anything more than a pair of trousers and a shirt in the middle of winter is deemed pansy! Down here, we're just soft southern fairies that like to keep warm!

GFLOL

Ric H 25th June 2008 22:09

Having driven from Cambridgeshire to Cheshire at night a few months ago when my thermometer said minus 5 degrees, before I had a roof, I'd agree the heater is pretty nice! Now with the roof on the car is really toasty in fact when you stop at traffic lights or something it can quickly get too hot, whatever the weather. The hot tunnel down the middle certainly helps too - keeps the gearknob warm!

alackofspeed 25th June 2008 22:24

Ric H - how's your hearing?? The first time I ran with the hood on (as a test), I stopped after 3 miles and took it off, as in the cabin it was too loud to handle (especially if Vtec was clipped). Since then I've kept ear plugs in the side pods for when I use the hood! With earplugs it's quite acceptable.

Ric H 25th June 2008 22:39

I remember you mentioning that John but I don't find it any louder with the hood than without. The noise on motorways from other vehicles tyres when you're side by side is the worst for me and I think that might be improved by the hood. I don't find the engine noise too bad; might depend where your induction draws in from? That said, I always have some earplugs in the sidepods too! Earplugs in, stereo on maximum is my long distance cruising set up :)

alackofspeed 25th June 2008 22:48

My filter is in much the same location as yours. How curious! Mine is massively louder with the hood on - I suspect I'd cause long term hearing damage if I ran with the hood on, and no ear plugs.

On an unrelated note - your pictures from around the world are pretty interesting.

craig 26th June 2008 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by alackofspeed (Post 12502)
My filter is in much the same location as yours. How curious! Mine is massively louder with the hood on - I suspect I'd cause long term hearing damage if I ran with the hood on, and no ear plugs.

On an unrelated note - your pictures from around the world are pretty interesting.

John, do you have the rear head areas cut out??

Not sure what differance it makes but I left mine in due to noise

alackofspeed 26th June 2008 18:37

Blocked off.

craig 26th June 2008 20:54

My filter is in the nearside rear void where the air scoop is, but I have put the standard box back on for sva and had forgot just how loud the open filter is.

All that sucking noise has gone and when revving the engine it's just exhaust note now!