Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Italian Replica builds and chat (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   New project (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6492)

Jaguartvr 28th September 2017 10:54

New project

Having (just about) finished my Tribute 250 I find myself itching to do something else.
I had pleaded and grovelled to Chris at Tribute to do a Daytona 365 Spider but he doesn't like the car so just isn't interested.
There was then a project to fit an old Southern Roadcraft body to a Z4, this looked ideal but unfortunately got shelved to unforeseen events.
I then had the opportunity to buy the remains of the Southern Roadcraft shell.
I was intending to carry on the project by using a Z4. However studying pictures and a diagram of the body shell it looked to me as if the top of the boot was going to be a problem. It just sits too high and would need cutting out and replacing with a flatter cross member, this would then fall foul of the dreaded IVA.
https://s20.postimg.org/ym20bccjx/IMG_0802.jpg
]Plan B, go back to the trusted Z3, if all fails (quite a likely possibility) I can always do another Tribute 250 which I want to do again in the future anyway.
However trying to source a reasonably priced 2.8/3.0 Z3 is proving to be impossible. Cheapest at the moment seems to be around £2.5k. As I'm not sure if the project will succeed I don't want to sink too much money into it.
So Plan C
Rover SDI convertible replica! But will fit it with pop up headlights and a few other modifications. It is a Rover replica and the "F" word must not be used.
https://s20.postimg.org/oq0xbp6rx/sdi_convertible.jpgSo going to used an E46 BMW. Have just picked up a 325 cabrio, 2001 cat D with a damaged wing mirror, odd set of wheels and a roof that doesn't open for £600.
Hope to end up with this, as seen previously on the "What would you like Chris to build you" thread.
https://s20.postimg.org/ec4ow7bf1/e46_daytona_copy.jpg

It is going to be a long slow project, the shell I picked up has been chopped up quite a bit more since the top picture. Sills and a lot of the rear body has gone along with one of the front wheel arches which will probably be my hardest problem. Making it back up will be hard enough, getting it to be symmetrical to the other side will be almost impossible, let the bodging comence.

oxford1360 28th September 2017 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaguartvr (Post 90918)

Could you remove the stretch of glassfibre that links the two rear wings, and cleverly blend the wings? The Daytona boot may need a little reworking but you might even be able to use the original hinges.

Jaguartvr 28th September 2017 11:25

One of the features of the "Rover" boot lid is that it is very flat. If you look at the rear clam you will see it is resting about 3 inches above the top of the door line. I'm not sure if it could be done, certainly not with my skill set.

Tribute Automotive 28th September 2017 23:36

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e7...psskvdmy9g.jpg

Jaguartvr 29th September 2017 07:05

Utter, utter, utter barst....................
All that grovelling I did!
Put me down for the first one please.
My wife is probably going to cut my gonads off now, so much for my new cunning plan.

I know you said you had another project in the pipeline, it does look very good on the Z3, I wanted to try my bodyshell on my Z3 but couldn't bring myself to remove the 250 bodywork as it now all painted but it does look like a very do able conversion, in fact it looks closer than the 250.
Do you know what kit it is. Mine is the Southern Roadcraft and I can see some small differences straight away. There is more bodywork between the front of the rear wheel arch and the rear of the door, the bonnet has less of a lip on the trailing edge and the front wheel arches aren't so bulbous.

Bugger, bugger, bugger........

Barber 29th September 2017 07:08

So THAT is what is under the shroud?

Jaguartvr 29th September 2017 07:45

I think we need to know what is under the 2 blue covers, obviously up to no good!

Paul L 30th September 2017 18:55

Jag - Just so I can keep up...

Are you now abandoning your "Rover" replica based on a 3 series and switching to the Tribute version based on a Z3?

Either way, good luck, Paul. :)

Barber 30th September 2017 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaguartvr (Post 90928)
All that grovelling I did!
Put me down for the first one please.
My wife is probably going to cut my gonads off now, so much for my new cunning plan.

I know you said you had another project in the pipeline, it does look very good on the Z3, I wanted to try my bodyshell on my Z3 but couldn't bring myself to remove the 250 bodywork as it now all painted but it does look like a very do able conversion, in fact it looks closer than the 250.
Do you know what kit it is. Mine is the Southern Roadcraft and I can see some small differences straight away. There is more bodywork between the front of the rear wheel arch and the rear of the door, the bonnet has less of a lip on the trailing edge and the front wheel arches aren't so bulbous.

Bugger, bugger, bugger........

Tribute Castrato then. :shock:

smash 1st October 2017 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaguartvr (Post 90928)
All that grovelling I did!......

Actually I'd stick with what you're doing - the over shaved rear deck on the grey car looks like it was done with an etchasketch. Reminds me of the Panache slabby pre cursor to proper countach replicas. Not good.

Paul L 2nd October 2017 20:53

Smash - It might be a tad premature to judge the final product from a photo of some panels just resting in place. :rolleyes:

Or do you want to add the bonnet gap is too large and the door will not open past the front wing to your 'over shaved rear deck' observation?

Should have gone to SpecsSavers. :icon_wink:

Jaguartvr 5th October 2017 08:58

The picture of the 365 on the Z3 has got me thinking again. It looks as if it is made to go on the Z3 and i think it looks brilliant.
My cunning plan was to do an E46 AND a Z3 but as the E46 came up so cheaply I thought I would start with it. However seeing the Z3 I am beginning to think it would be a lot easier to start with the Z3, even if I use a poverty spec 1.8. Ideally I could work on both at the same time but don't have the room.
Decisions, decisions.

Any plumbers in the house? The E46 has V2 BOG as a number plate, ideal for a plumber or similar.

smash 5th October 2017 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul L (Post 90974)
Smash - It might be a tad premature to judge the final product from a photo of some panels just resting in place. :rolleyes:

Or do you want to add the bonnet gap is too large and the door will not open past the front wing to your 'over shaved rear deck' observation?

Should have gone to SpecsSavers. :icon_wink:

You're right - I'm sure it will be top quality, reputation to keep up and all that :icon_wink:

Jaguartvr 6th October 2017 11:54

They do indeed, top quality product. In speaking to Chris I was asking some questions about the 250 swb as I still want to do another. Apart from the bonnet improvements which have already been mentioned on the forum, the doors have also been modified to improve the fit and gaps.
These were the only 2 areas that really need to be improved, the bonnet was an easy modification for me to do, the doors a lot harder.
This should make the build even easier.
I did also mention to Chris that I was also going to carry on with my plan for the SDI on the Z3 and that I would like to buy a pair of 250 sills to modify and he said no problem. I think most manufacturers would have told me where to go, just shows ham friendly and helpful Tribute are.

DSG4ME 10th October 2017 08:57

http://oi68.tinypic.com/ort834.jpg

Jaguartvr 10th October 2017 09:25

Thanks DS.

The more I look at the E46 the trickier it gets! I think the doors are going to be a big stumbling block as the door handles pull out to open. Chris's method of opening the doors on the 250 is both very clever and very simple.

Jaguartvr 6th November 2017 09:24

I was lucky in that my donor came with a private registration plate that I have just sold and it has almost covered the cost of the donor. At the same time a Z3 2.8 auto came up and I managed to get it for the princely sum of £700 and for a change it was local too. Very good condition apart from a cracked rear screen, Mot was out as the owner's insurance had expired so he couldn't drive it to the MOT test garage. Has 140K on it and is an auto but should make an ideal donor.
In offering up my SDI:eyebrows: panels it is going to be far easier to use the Z3 than the E46 so this is going to be my new cunning plan but I hope to still do an E46 at a later date. I just have too many cars on the drive so need to thin them down a bit.
Chris has offered me some great advice as it going to supply me with a pair of 250swb sills that I can then modify, much easier than starting from scratch.

Anyone got a cheap set of Ferrari style 15" or 16" alloys going spare?

Barber 8th November 2017 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaguartvr (Post 90931)
I think we need to know what is under the 2 blue covers, obviously up to no good!

One of them is Zagmad's.

Paul L 8th November 2017 18:55

My guess would be the other one is Roadster's or the MXico.

Jag - I am sure you are now a dab hand at modifying fibreglass, so I look forward to seeing the build progress. :cool:

Good luck, Paul. :)

Jaguartvr 8th November 2017 19:07

You would be amazed at what I can stick with GRP, hair, hall carpet, most of my kitchen utensils etc.
I did get a bollocking from SWIMBO when she found a big patch of pink GRP paste on her new sheet, twigged that I had had an afternoon nap!