Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   long wheel base "D" Type (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6346)

Charman.tech 27th April 2017 14:23

long wheel base "D" Type

I have had a chat with Chris and I am hunting for photos of a "D" body stretched to fit the Scimitar SE5 chassis 99 inch wheel base.

Thanks

Charman.tech 27th April 2017 14:25

Sorry meant to say does anyone have photos or know some one who has done this in the past.

Thanks

lancelot link 27th April 2017 18:17

IT WASN'T STRETCHED , the chassis was shortened ..... I think Mickey1mo was doing one on a full length SE5...

I put one on a TVR chassis a few years back ..that had a mild stretch ...

Mister Towed 28th April 2017 06:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancelot link (Post 87674)
IT WASN'T STRETCHED , the chassis was shortened...

Surely you don't mean that the Scimitar chassis was shortened, If you think really hard about it I believe you'll recollect that it just had some extraneous body mounting brackets removed from outside of the original wheelbase. Honestly Mr IVA man...

Charman.tech 28th April 2017 11:21

All

Thanks for your input, the reason I want to particularly want to do a jag based car is that I am currently involved with racing an XJS and have a number of jags sitting about the place.

I can't realistically see me completing the G46 as I have cut shut pinned and glued it together not forgetting the filler, lots of filler, it might be the basis of a buck but that's about all despite that I love the car.

A "C" type body is much closer to the SE5a chassis wheel base widths etc but the manufactures building the kits are not prepared to sell a body only for my purposes.

Mister Towed 28th April 2017 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charman.tech (Post 87681)

A "C" type body is much closer to the SE5a chassis wheel base widths etc but the manufactures building the kits are not prepared to sell a body only for my purposes.

Thought about making your own body from scratch? After all, how hard can that be? :whistle:

Charman.tech 28th April 2017 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Towed (Post 87684)
Thought about making your own body from scratch? After all, how hard can that be? :whistle:

Shoot that man please!

Paul L 28th April 2017 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancelot link (Post 87674)
... I think Mickey1mo was doing one on a full length SE5...

+1

After a bit of digging I found this...

Quote:

Originally Posted by micky1mo (Post 86007)
Charman.tech What I have is an abandoned project I purchased from Chris at Tribute Automotive about 18 months ago.
He lengthened an original "D" type body (around the bonnet area) and roughly cut down a Scimitar floor pan/bulkhead to fit. Unfortunately he ran out of time and space so we had a deal.:bounce:

It's been sat in my workshop ever since but it's the next scheduled "long term" project so I will start a thread for the build.
I'm based in Swindon, Wiltshire just 10 min from J16, M4.
If your passing and want a look at the project, the kettle is always on, you bring the cakes. :tea:

I've haven't seen a build thread, so he may not have started it yet.

Good luck, Paul. :)

PS
Shame to hear the G46 may never be finished. :sad:

Charman.tech 28th April 2017 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul L (Post 87694)
+1

After a bit of digging I found this...

I've haven't seen a build thread, so he may not have started it yet.

Good luck, Paul. :)

PS
Shame to hear the G46 may never be finished. :sad:

Paul

Never say never you know what us car guys are like, I may just dodge my wife going for the shotgun if I take Towed's advice, like he said how hard can it be!

Paul L 1st May 2017 06:25

I was sure I had seen a photo of a stretched D Type shell somewhere on here...

But after a bit of searching, it was actually an A352 extended from Spitfire to Herald dimensions. :rolleyes:

Still, the details are below if they are of any help, cheers, Paul. :)

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...&postcount=155

lancelot link 1st May 2017 11:57

The A352 stretched to Herald dimensions works really well , you are actually getting pretty close to genuine D type wheelbase and track ...most D type replica's are wider than the originals to cater for the XJ6 type of axles and front clips ...

You would need a D type body for the Scimitar as opposed to the A352 , as that extra width on them is perfect for your track width ..

A cheaper option on the C types would be great if they were available ..I really like the C types they are great looking cars ...