Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Latest progress on the Gooster (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2156)

GreatOldOne 7th July 2009 09:06

One of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/..._ya_oh_product

All you have to do is:

1. Connect the pot to the air hose from your compressor
2. Take the fluid res cap off
3. Connect the fluid hose to the bleed nipple on the caliper
4. Open the nipple
5. Press the trigger - shlurrrrp. :)

Job done. No mess, no fuss. Emptied all the lines in about 10 mins. :thumb:

Patrick 7th July 2009 09:11

brilliant, I going to get one of those. I need to change the fluid on my daily driver at the weekend.

Chris Cussen 7th July 2009 12:21

I used something similar that uses the air pressure in a tyre. Its a Gunson Eezibleed (£16.83 from Amazon). No trigger mechnism though, just starts pressurising the system when you connect it up.

Patrick 7th July 2009 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Cussen (Post 16023)
I used something similar that uses the air pressure in a tyre. Its a Gunson Eezibleed (£16.83 from Amazon). No trigger mechnism though, just starts pressurising the system when you connect it up.

I've used one of those but it never seemed to work very well for me as I found it difficult to control.

MartinClan 7th July 2009 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Cussen (Post 16023)

It's horses for courses I guess. I used an Eezibleed and I found it was just that. Mind you I was filling the brake system for the first time.

The disadvantage with the Draper one though, IMHO, is that you need a compressor. So - bit of an expensive solution if you don't already have one!

Robin

Chris Cussen 7th July 2009 13:33

It did help if the tyre pressure was low!

MartinClan 8th July 2009 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatOldOne (Post 15976)
I also finished off painting the wingstays, the stay mounting plates, the A pillar mounting plates, the door spacers, some nut plates I made that will be used to mount the rear wings, and the headlight brackets I made earlier in the week.

Hi Jason

So how do you intend to mount the rear wings? Are you going to rivet your nut plates to the tub and then bolt the wings to them? I used rivnuts directly into the tub but it is not a great solution (although better than the large self tappers Marlin supply).

Robin

Patrick 8th July 2009 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinClan (Post 16038)
Hi Jason

So how do you intend to mount the rear wings? Are you going to rivet your nut plates to the tub and then bolt the wings to them? I used rivnuts directly into the tub but it is not a great solution (although better than the large self tappers Marlin supply).

Robin

I also used rivnuts but glassed them to the tub which will stop them spinning or dropping out :)

GreatOldOne 8th July 2009 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinClan (Post 16038)
Hi Jason

Robin

Got it in one:

http://www.greatoldone.co.uk/Sportst...ingfixings.jpg

They way i figured it the rivnut would have greater purchase on the metal plate rather than the fiberglass, and would be a less destructive way of fitting them, as the smaller ones I set for my door plates caused the top layers of the glass to bulge outward so it needed sanding flat again.

The rivets will stop the plate from spinning.

I'll see how it goes. Won't be doing anything for a while though, as I have the dreaded pig flu and the Quack has me on Tamiflu. Ah well - no work, and the Ashes is on. Can't be all bad. :)

MartinClan 8th July 2009 16:27

So the pig flu is real then and not some rumor started by the Government to take attention away from all the other problems :-(. Hope you feel better soon.

Good plan for the wing fixing. I may do the same when I strip the body to be painted. Are you going to use some of those funny big head rivets with the split ends? They seem to work well when fixing in fiberglass as they dont require so much crushing force.

Robin

timbo 8th July 2009 16:37

When Marlin did my bodywork they fixed the wings on with ordinary bolts; just as well I checked them recently as they weren't fitted with nylocs and were already starting to come loose.

GreatOldOne 8th July 2009 16:38

I was planning on using some long countersunk ones, so they sit flush with the surface of the tub... I'm not sure which ones you're on about. Have you got a pic?

MartinClan 8th July 2009 17:10

No pic but here is a link

http://www.shop4fasteners.co.uk/acat...ead_Rivets.asp

Marlin supplied some in my fasteners kit. I don't know what they were supposed to be for but I found them useful the few times I had to fasten something to fibreglass.

I found them very good as they have a large head to spread the load and they don't require lots of force to fit so they don't crush the fiberglass. The heads will be slightly raised above the surface but the won't matter a great deal when fitting the rear wings as the fit between the wings and body isn't great anyway. You have to "fill in the gaps" using wing piping to get a reasonable look.

Robin

GreatOldOne 8th July 2009 17:20

Ah - those ones. Yes, I have some of those in my fastener packs. I'll take a look at them once I've got rid of the curly tail and snout.

Patrick 8th July 2009 17:47

That looks like a very good and substantial solution :)

Hope you get better soon :)

peterux 8th July 2009 20:53

Yeah, hope you feel better soon and I hope it doesn't mutate in to Gooster flu?

timbo 8th July 2009 21:11

One of my kids at school suggested you could get swine flu at the same time as bird flu.
I said, oh yeah, right, that'll be when pigs fly :)

We've had a lot of swine flu at our school, the Tamiflu makes you feel terrible, so hope you feel better soon.
Tim

GreatOldOne 8th July 2009 21:28

Thanks guys.

Just hope my other half doesn't get it, as I'm sure man pig flu will be much worse than woman pig flu... And at that point, the sympathy will stop. :)

On a less oinkish note, Terry's back off holiday and told me they'll be making a batch of bumpers next week, and that she'd chase my bonnet catches.

peterux 13th July 2009 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterux (Post 16050)
Yeah, hope you feel better soon and I hope it doesn't mutate in to Gooster flu?

I wish I hadn't said that...........

looks like the pig flu has crossed over to cars............

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2375199...-54129423@N00/

:lol:

GreatOldOne 13th July 2009 22:12

Arrrg! My eyes! :scared:

Kill it. Kill it with fire!!! :D