Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Wheels (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7139)

Hughandjen 30th July 2019 20:07

Wheels

Hi guys
Big ask it’s a big ask but can you guys post a pick of your cars wheels. I find it hard to picture each style on the cars. I like spikes but hate cleaning them so maybe looking at alloys that look like spokes
Thanks in advance

Lucky@LeMans 30th July 2019 20:15

Jaguar Lattice alloys look nice and come up on ebay all the time. Most common in 15" and the more desirable 16" shown here. BMW did a similar style but will need a bit more hunting down. Sorry photos aren't loading at the mo !

Hughandjen 30th July 2019 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 101546)
Jaguar Lattice alloys look nice and come up on ebay all the time. Most common in 15" and the more desirable 16" shown here. BMW did a similar style but will need a bit more hunting down. Sorry photos aren't loading at the mo !

Thanks I heard jag wheels take some modifications that could be quite costly

Lucky@LeMans 30th July 2019 20:29

1 Attachment(s)
BMW BBS Mahle design. You might find a good set but there are plenty out there for refurbishment.

Hughandjen 30th July 2019 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 101548)
BMW BBS Mahle design. You might find a good set but there are plenty out there for refurbishment.

Thanks they look nice

Lucky@LeMans 30th July 2019 20:50

1 Attachment(s)
To be honest, the wire wheels really set the car off and look right. You shouldn't need to do a thorough clean more than about twice a year, it must be worth it ?
Here is one of the better Tribute cars, with wires !

Hughandjen 30th July 2019 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 101550)
To be honest, the wire wheels really set the car off and look right. You shouldn't need to do a thorough clean more than about twice a year, it must be worth it ?
Here is one of the better Tribute cars, with wires !

They do look really good. Is there any old jag wheels that will fit without me spending a fortune
Thanks

DaveP 30th July 2019 21:42

2 Attachment(s)
If you want to go modern but spoked looking Lenso BSX or Calibre Vintage do bmw fitment.

Lucky@LeMans 30th July 2019 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hughandjen (Post 101551)
They do look really good. Is there any old jag wheels that will fit without me spending a fortune
Thanks

You can pick up a good set of wires for around £400, sometimes with tyres included.
About the same again for a set of hub adaptors and a set of good, used spinners.

If you want the deep dish style of wheel as on the red car above you will be spending more and you'll need to do the Z4 hub conversion on the rear.

Hughandjen 31st July 2019 07:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 101553)
You can pick up a good set of wires for around £400, sometimes with tyres included.
About the same again for a set of hub adaptors and a set of good, used spinners.

If you want the deep dish style of wheel as on the red car above you will be spending more and you'll need to do the Z4 hub conversion on the rear.

Thanks. That explains why it cost some people a lot more as they want deep dish wheels

IanA 31st July 2019 08:49

Opting for centre-laced wire wheels with a standard width rim is probably the most "economical" way of achieving the deep dish look.
My way of knowing that I've bought a good set of used wire wheels is when my car is rolling down the road and they don't creak!!!
When fitting wire wheels to a car for the first time. I have only ever used new adapters and spinners.

Hughandjen 31st July 2019 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanA (Post 101556)
Opting for centre-laced wire wheels with a standard width rim is probably the most "economical" way of achieving the deep dish look.
My way of knowing that I've bought a good set of used wire wheels is when my car is rolling down the road and they don't creak!!!
When fitting wire wheels to a car for the first time. I have only ever used new adapters and spinners.

Thanks for the info

Lucky@LeMans 31st July 2019 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanA (Post 101556)

When buying second hand you need to be a bit careful. Wheels that are pitted and corroded are best avoided. Check for damaged / worn splines, loose or broken spokes. There are good used hub adaptors out there but chances are you won't find any to fit a Z3 ! If you do check the splines and threads are good, same with the spinners.

Hughandjen 31st July 2019 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 101562)
When buying second hand you need to be a bit careful. Wheels that are pitted and corroded are best avoided. Check for damaged / worn splines, loose or broken spokes. There are good used hub adaptors out there but chances are you won't find any to fit a Z3 ! If you do check the splines and threads are good, same with the spinners.

Good advice
Thanks

daveytz 31st July 2019 16:51

I'm up to the wheels bit on my build. Struggling on the size as I don't know much about this. I know I need to go "bigger" but don't know about what is safe and sensible. I'm building the mx250 c
Any tips would be welcome
I know there was a thread on here last year about alloys which looked like wires but I couldn't find it

Hughandjen 31st July 2019 16:57

So guys do you think these wheels would work with a hub adapter and spinnershttps://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F 153545480012

Thanks

Hughandjen 31st July 2019 17:09

Sorry didn’t do a space before the link
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F153545480012

Hughandjen 31st July 2019 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 101553)

Where do you source the correct adapters please
Thanks

Lucky@LeMans 31st July 2019 20:02

MWS ( Motor Wheel Services ) do a whole range including undrilled examples.

They also offer just about every wheel size for classics and all the accessories.

Those wheels you have shown above will fit under the arches but you will end up with the hub and spinner sticking out a long way. depends on the look you are after.

WorldClassAccident 1st August 2019 13:32

I have run wire wheels for 7 years and never needed to clean them :-)