Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   How much should I spend on a base car? (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3753)

tytek 15th August 2012 01:42

How much should I spend on a base car?

I've been looking at a number of potential cars in various states of repair. They range from early Mk 1's to 6 speed Mk2's, crash damaged and some that have just got a few minor marks on them.
Prices range from a few hundred to a few thousand pounds.
Where would you draw the line price wise for a car thats going to be clad in fibreglass?

jmc14 15th August 2012 01:56

Get the best possible mechanically sound car that you can afford. You will be money and time ahead!

Roadster 15th August 2012 08:34

mx5s often have abused bodies - dented wings - damaged bumpers
Their owners dont love them when this happens - sometimes insurance companies decide that they are not worth repairing.
These are the the cars to look for - i got a mk1 low low mileage with 6mnths tax and test £300 it had a dented front wing and a scrape on the rear.

seanick 15th August 2012 20:20

I spent £1500, but have sold unwanted bits off, so far totalling £600....

tytek 15th August 2012 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanick (Post 33989)
I spent £1500, but have sold unwanted bits off, so far totalling £600....

That's my next question, how much can you reallistically get back from selling off unwanted parts?
Is there a list of what is removed from the car before the conversion is done???

seanick 16th August 2012 07:18

Wheels and tyres
boot lid
rear spoiler
rear bumper
rear lights
Soft top
roll bars
bonnet
front bumper
Front indicators
headlight motors
Wing mirrors
mudflats
rear numberplate holder
etc etc

The car had just had cambelt, brakes, lowered suspension and shocks etc had loads of new parts so I think I am still quids in, compared to buying a run down car.

tytek 16th August 2012 15:48

Thanks for the list, theres more than you reallise!!!

Peepsy 16th August 2012 20:22

I think about 721 pounds will get you a good one !

Tribute Automotive 16th August 2012 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanick (Post 33997)
Wheels and tyres
boot lid
rear spoiler
rear bumper
rear lights
Soft top
roll bars
bonnet
front bumper
Front indicators
headlight motors
Wing mirrors
mudflats
rear numberplate holder
etc etc

The car had just had cambelt, brakes, lowered suspension and shocks etc had loads of new parts so I think I am still quids in, compared to buying a run down car.

Not the soft top if you are going for the MX250C :razz: . And don't forget the wheels /tyres, they always seem to sell well...

seanick 16th August 2012 21:18

Wheels and tyres....yes....at the top of the list!

Tribute Automotive 16th August 2012 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanick (Post 34025)
Wheels and tyres....yes....at the top of the list!

D'Oh! Damn my small laptop screen!

Lucky@LeMans 20th August 2012 11:48

All I can say having gone down this route before is to buy the best one you can find in your budget . The early cars can suffer with rot and can take as much time and money to sort as the rest of your project . I found my latest car with very little rot , an "as new" interior and with 12 months T&T . That is the way to go , it saves so much time and effort ! You still want to give it full going over though if you you want to build an "as new " car .

Brian C 12th September 2012 20:37

Hi,

I am in the process of embarking on the Tribute build and I am looking for a garage/workshop - possibly a share arrangement - I am in Leicestershire if there is anyone interested in a share or if someone knows of a suitable workshop to rent/buy.

Regards,

Brian