Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Best Bonnet Stay For Z3 Cars (http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7230)

Lucky@LeMans 18th January 2020 16:19

Best Bonnet Stay For Z3 Cars
 
Has anyone come up with a good solution for their bonnet stay / strut etc ?

The front end on the Z3 based cars is too heavy for the standard gas struts. I would prefer to fit an old style bonnet stay.

What works best ??

Hughandjen 18th January 2020 17:29

I’m interested in this item too. I bought some extra strong struts as recommended on here but they are about an inch too long. I have to find a way of compressing the struts prior to installing in the car. Using original with a strut may be easier

DaveP 18th January 2020 19:45

I used heavier duty gas struts on my Kobra from SGS. No need for an additional bonnet stay as they go up nicely. The ones I bought are strong enough for a 250 bonnet I believe. I can look out the spec if needed.

Dave

Hughandjen 18th January 2020 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hughandjen (Post 103250)
Iím interested in this item too. I bought some extra strong struts as recommended on here but they are about an inch too long. I have to find a way of compressing the struts prior to installing in the car. Using original with a strut may be easier

Iíve googled it and a ratchet strap looks like a useful solution

molleur 18th January 2020 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveP (Post 103251)
I used heavier duty gas struts on my Kobra from SGS. No need for an additional bonnet stay as they go up nicely. The ones I bought are strong enough for a 250 bonnet I believe. I can look out the spec if needed.

Dave

please do, and post.

Thanks Dave

DaveP 18th January 2020 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by molleur (Post 103256)
please do, and post.

Thanks Dave

Will do Jack (it is Jack isnít it?). Was a little while ago so will dig.

Dave

molleur 18th January 2020 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveP (Post 103257)
Will do Jack (it is Jack isnít it?). Was a little while ago so will dig.

Dave

Yep. Thank you Dave. No big hurry.

WorldClassAccident 19th January 2020 08:35

These detail from the struts I fitted to the Z300S. It has the longest bonnet of all so if these hold my bonnet up they should work fine for anything else

SGS Engineering
£43.94 2 x GSV10-300 Adjustable force gas strut
£0.00 2 x B3 10mm angled plastic ball socket
£0.00 2 x e10 8mm hole 5mm thick M8 1.25 thread eyelet
£5.30 1 x carriage

Hughandjen 19th January 2020 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident (Post 103259)
These detail from the struts I fitted to the Z300S. It has the longest bonnet of all so if these hold my bonnet up they should work fine for anything else

SGS Engineering
£43.94 2 x GSV10-300 Adjustable force gas strut
£0.00 2 x B3 10mm angled plastic ball socket
£0.00 2 x e10 8mm hole 5mm thick M8 1.25 thread eyelet
£5.30 1 x carriage

Did you have to cut away any of the mounting bracket to fit these. I say this as I ordered some from SGS. They sent GSV10-150 struts and they are longer and thicker than the BMW ones. I sent them back to SGS saying they didnít fit and they said they donít have a set suitable for a Z3 bonnet bracket and returned them!! I am going to have to try and get them to fit!!

Jaguartvr 19th January 2020 09:38

For those too lazy to go back and look

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=5907

The replacement struts should be the same length as the originals although they are a little thicker. If they are longer they are wrong which I'm afraid doesn't seem unusual for SGS.
I ordered a replacement boot strut for the Daytona and gave them the measurements but the replacement was a foot longer, they did, however, supply a replacement with no arguing.

Lucky@LeMans 19th January 2020 10:01

Thanks for posting that link Steve. It takes a bit of searching trying to find an old thread, easier to ask ! I didn't know about LandRover springs, that answers another question, thanks !

WorldClassAccident 19th January 2020 20:46

I think mine fitted but I normally have a hammer or axe nearby so there may have been some adjustment needed.

DaveP 20th January 2020 07:06

I bought the same struts as WCA and they fitted straight on the kobra with no issues.

I cannot find the bl**dy SGS invoice though. I did get the chance to clear my email of all their fricken marketing mails which was a bonus.

Dave

molleur 20th January 2020 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveP (Post 103267)
I bought the same struts as WCA and they fitted straight on the kobra with no issues.

I cannot find the bl**dy SGS invoice though. I did get the chance to clear my email of all their fricken marketing mails which was a bonus.

Dave

Got the info, thanks Dave!

Egdik 20th January 2020 23:21

Struts
 
1 Attachment(s)
On the GTB we fitted stronger struts of the GSV - 150 / 10mm piston size.

They need quite a lot of fettling to shorten and to fit; little space & no pleasure.

SGS can be unfriendly to deal with, but the market place is limited.

The GTB bonnet is long and includes the headlights. It is not kept up by these struts, but they do make it easier to raise.

To prop the bonnet up, cut a fifth or so lengthwise out of an aluminium tube to fit over the piston, thus holding the bonnet at your chosen height. This is Andy's discrete idea, which works well.

Can be lined with a little bicycle inner tube and file a groove in the bottom end to rest on the ball joint shank.


Attachment 6559

Hughandjen 21st January 2020 15:51

I’m wondering if I should send mine back again and ask for GSV10 300 as they sent me GSV 10 150. Do you know if the 300 has a narrower piston size as mine are too wide
Thanks
Hugh

Egdik 21st January 2020 17:08

Strut sizes
 
Hugh

Take a close look at the SGS website which gives some struts dimensions. The '150' means a stroke length of 150mm.

SGS do not give the dimensions for the standard Z3 replacement. The standard unit is 345mm from middle of eye to middle of socket, with a 150mm stroke and a cylinder diameter of 18mm; piston 8mm.

GSV10-300 will have a very long stroke of 300mm and the unit is 650mm . . . plus the eyes / sockets. The cylinder is 22mm. So it is far too long for a Z3 bonnet hinge fitment.

A GS 14 150 has a 27mm body

I fitted the 10 - 150 units and they needed quite some adjusting to fit ok on the GTB, where space seemed tight. The cylinder body is 22mm, piston 10mm, length is 350 PLUS eyes / sockets - so significantly longer than standard. I shortened the piston and cut a new thread.

Lucky@LeMans 21st January 2020 18:10

At the moment I'm thinking of retaining the standard Z3 struts and using a prop of some sort. The front of the 275 with valance, stainless bumpers and grill is significant. I'm worried the hinged end of the bonnet structure could be stressed excessively. At least when using a prop some of the weight is taken at the front end.

Hughandjen 21st January 2020 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 103279)
At the moment I'm thinking of retaining the standard Z3 struts and using a prop of some sort. The front of the 275 with valance, stainless bumpers and grill is significant. I'm worried the hinged end of the bonnet structure could be stressed excessively. At least when using a prop some of the weight is taken at the front end.

I think you have a point there. Putting too much stress on the fibreglass May cause future problems

Jaguartvr 22nd January 2020 08:59

My Daytona has a very heavy bonnet with a metal frame as well, normal stays would not hold it up. It has gas struts with locks, open the bonnet and it will "click" when fully open, to close lift it a little higher and it will "click" again allowing it to close. I have been told that these locking gas struts were fitted to early Range Rovers (P38?).
May well work for the heavier 275 bonnet.


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 22:46.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright Madabout Kitcars 2014