Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Fatbloke builds a Spyder (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4179)

Scottie22 15th November 2014 21:50

Now there's a thing!

You do have actually have to take the roof down to fill up if you own an XKSS!

I believe it's the only car in the world built that way.

fatbloke 15th November 2014 21:57

If you split the wing and make it a bit wider it might avoid the filler cap and flow better into the roof????

Tribute Automotive 15th November 2014 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatbloke (Post 61292)
If you split the wing and make it a bit wider it might avoid the filler cap and flow better into the roof????

We will see. Need the hardtop.

fatbloke 24th February 2015 11:33

How illegal is this front number plate and how long do you think I could get away with just sticking letters onto the grill on my MX before Mr Plod tells me off?

https://allonwhite.co.uk/data/img/ga...5.jpg?54b3d734

Scottie22 24th February 2015 12:08

I don't think that the Lotus plate is illegal FB, but if the plate is solid, the radiator may suffer from lack of airflow. It certainly does on Spitfires and GT6's because I tried it.

I was into this subject some years ago, because I came unstuck with a miserable plodl

The Law actually states "the front number plate must be on the first flat vertical surface"

Well on some cars, there is no flat vertical surface as in this case, but usually the law turns a blind eye, for example, 99% of all E Types have stick-on numbers on the bonnet.

As I did on my GT6, but it is illegal, and the policeman that gave me a hard time had the law on his side.

I tried what is in the Lotus pic, and suffered overheating, my answer was to pin individual letters and numbers onto a piece of black gauze, using as silver surround.

The gauze allowed air to pass through and cured the overheating problem.

I know for a fact that done correctly with the proper spacing
of letters and figures it is not illegal, and I ran my GT6 this way for many years.

Not quite sure how the Lotus does not overheat though?

fatbloke 24th February 2015 12:22

I think those are just white letters stuck on a black grill Scottie so you still get the air flow. Perhaps I'll look at this for show plates.

froggyman 24th February 2015 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatbloke (Post 63804)
I think those are just white letters stuck on a black grill Scottie so you still get the air flow. Perhaps I'll look at this for show plates.

Yes you are right, that is how they were fitted on Elans. The letters were just attached to the mesh grill. This did not cause any overheating problems.

Jaguartvr 24th February 2015 16:07

I think if you are sensible you can get away with a lot, if you are using an illegal font, miss spaced on a pimped out Corsa you will get done quite quickly.

I used to have a flexible magnetic (I know, useless on a GRP car) numberplate for my E-Type, after having a bare metal respray I just couldn't bring myself to use a stick on numberplate. At about 60mph it used to start to slide up the bonnet so I used to just leave it on the passenger seat and just fit it for the MOT.
I used it for 3 years commuting from Hemel Hempstead to Windsor and was never once pulled for no front number plate.

fatbloke 13th March 2015 08:03

My little car goes down to Chris next week for the roof mods and I've been pleasantly surprised this week as I've taken the opportunity to drive it about with lots of questions and comments from various people wondering what the hell it is. Hopefully I won't run in to that truck driver again ;-)

jones 15th April 2016 11:46

Fatbloke - any progress on your build? what happened to the modified roof? Do you even still have the car?

fatbloke 18th April 2016 17:40

Still have the car but a combination of mechanical problems and a lack of cash have stopped things. I'm currently working on bonding the MX hard top on, Chris didn't have the time to make the mods I wanted so I'm just going to stick with the hard top as is.

I also replaced the suspension with coilovers to get the ride height right for the wheels and tyres I have chosen and, just to help things along, the steering rack sprang a leak so I have had to replace all the pipe work and the rack itself.

Also doing some work on the interior, lining the doors with alcantara and then going to do the dash and binnacle. I hope to get it painted this year, finally decided on yellow as it will make it stand out.

jones 19th April 2016 21:12

Ummmmm so fatbloke where are the updates during this time? Pictures?

fatbloke 4th June 2016 19:44

With all the recent discussions on painting on here I thought I'd post a the start of my budget effort on getting some colour on my MX.

[IMG]http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/...pslxj8dodo.jpg[/IMG]

In case you are confused, the car will be yellow not grey. Just to get some colour I've decided to roller it and have tried things out on the bonnet. After a few cock ups I finally got a half decent finish, at least from a few feet away.

Week after next the rest of the car gets painted.

JG 4th June 2016 21:09

Will be interesting to see what process you use, paint, rollers etc. No doubt there will be a great deal of sanding and polishing after as well :nod:

John

mazdarazmataz 4th June 2016 21:19

Are you going to be rollering the whole car? Is it rustoleum or coach paint?

I forgot to thank you for the bolts you sent me, they were much appreciated ;)

My kit arrives Tues!

I was considering rollering also, but fingers crossed I can get mine painted where I work.

mazdarazmataz 4th June 2016 21:23

One thing I just noticed......on the mk2 mx250 kit, the headlights are more recessed than on the mk1 kit, is there a reason for this? Maybe a clearance problem for the headlamp bowls?

fatbloke 4th June 2016 21:33

I'm using Rustoleum 7300 and plan to roller the whole car. The rollering leaves very bad orange peel but I put a thick layer on the bonnet, let it harden and then cut the orange peel back with 240 grit dry then went through the different grit levels wet until it was ready to be T Cut and then polished.

It's not perfect but I can't afford a pro job so this will do until I can. I estimate that the entire job, paint and consumables, will cost about £300.

fatbloke 4th June 2016 21:34

Dunno but I prefer the recessed lights personally.

jones 4th June 2016 21:47

mazdarazmataz you are spot on with your assumption the mk1 fro t panel is square where as the mk2 slopes back for mounting the headlights.

Keen to see you progress fatbloke remember to take lots of pictures, with a number of people considering this route to paint it would be very handy to see your process.

All the best,

Ian

mazdarazmataz 4th June 2016 22:16

What mix thinners did you use with the paint? 50/50?