Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Door help (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7228)

Hughandjen 12th January 2020 15:41

Door help

Hi guys I’m in the middle of a 250 swb build. I have cut a hole in the bmw door skin to reveal the push bar behind. All god there. Can some one take a picture of their door with a ruler next to it to help me mark where to cut into the fibreglass door skin to attach the new door handle
Thank you

Lucky@LeMans 12th January 2020 16:01

The way I did my car was to measure down from a piece of tape stuck on the window to where the push bar is. Measure first without the door skin, then refit the outer skin and mark the position. Drill a small hole first then open it up to suit when you are happy.
I've extended the push bar up about 1/2" so that the push button on the handle actually pushes without too much pressure required from your thumb. If you are too close to the pivot point it won't open the door at all !

Hughandjen 12th January 2020 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 103215)
The way I did my car was to measure down from a piece of tape stuck on the window to where the push bar is. Measure first without the door skin, then refit the outer skin and mark the position. Drill a small hole first then open it up to suit when you are happy.
I've extended the push bar up about 1/2" so that the push button on the handle actually pushes without too much pressure required from your thumb. If you are too close to the pivot point it won't open the door at all !

That’s a big help. I was wondering why people attached a plate to the bar, but when you see the action of the bar now I understand. I’ll have a go tomorrow 👍

Hughandjen 28th January 2020 15:05

1 Attachment(s)
Small plates attached to the bar nearly ready to try the door skin

molleur 28th January 2020 15:19

Make sure to locate the door handles very carefully.
don't ask how I know after the door skins were bonded on!

Hughandjen 28th January 2020 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by molleur (Post 103355)
Make sure to locate the door handles very carefully.
don't ask how I know after the door skins were bonded on!

Thanks for that. I assume the higher up the plate the mini handle plunger hits the easier it is to open the door.

molleur 28th January 2020 16:11

Exactly. My "friend" mounted the handles 3/4 inch too low and bonded the skins on. Had to cut them open, relocate and repair the skins.

Hughandjen 28th January 2020 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by molleur (Post 103357)
Exactly. My "friend" mounted the handles 3/4 inch too low and bonded the skins on. Had to cut them open, relocate and repair the skins.

That’s the benefit of forums like this the rest of us can learn from other people’s mistakes. I’m sorry for you that that happened. I suppose that is one of the benefits of fibreglass is that you can cut holes and repair

molleur 28th January 2020 18:40

In my case, lots!
Had to remove the bonded on body too.

Hughandjen 28th January 2020 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by molleur (Post 103364)
In my case, lots!
Had to remove the bonded on body too.

Oh wow that’s quite an undertaking. I do worry that this plate that is bonded and bolted to the opening bar comes lose as it will be nigh on impossible to get to it again.

molleur 28th January 2020 22:31

red locktite on the bolts.

Hughandjen 29th January 2020 07:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by molleur (Post 103366)
red locktite on the bolts.

I’ve done that too. Thanks

molleur 29th January 2020 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hughandjen (Post 103369)
I’ve done that too. Thanks

should be okay then. You don't want to cut the door skins unless absolutely necessary. Real PITA.

Mitchelkitman 29th January 2020 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hughandjen (Post 103356)
Thanks for that. I assume the higher up the plate the mini handle plunger hits the easier it is to open the door.

I guess easier in effort, but possible more 'distance push' on the button? Does the bar (that the plate is attached to 'rotate'?)
Forgive, it that's a daft question, as I don't have a Z3

molleur 29th January 2020 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchelkitman (Post 103378)
I guess easier in effort, but possible more 'distance push' on the button? Does the bar (that the plate is attached to 'rotate'?)
Forgive, it that's a daft question, as I don't have a Z3

Yes, the bar rotates. Yes, high on the plate is easier to open.
A screw on the Mini handle allows for some adjustment on the plunge distance as well.