Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marlin 5exi builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   1600 or turbo (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=550)

roley 29th March 2006 12:26

1600 or turbo

got my kit to fit the 1600 in it but ive had a change mind. im thinking of going with the turbo. can anyone help.will a 620ti engine fit as they seem to be cheap and what will i have to change whith my kit.cheers

Dan 29th March 2006 13:03

Did consider pulling the 1600cc engine out of my car and fitting the T-Series, but there's a lot can be done to get plenty of power from the k-series engine and its a hell of a lot lighter too.
Would imagine you'll need at least new water pipes, engine mounts/stays, gear change brackets.

limpabit 29th March 2006 14:52

Might be worth asking Mark at Marlin the differences in the chassis. Looking at mine, I have the brackets form the gearbox mount for the K as well.

600 TI looks a good choice. They usually have wasted spark ignition as well. No dissy cap. I think for reliability.

These have hydro clutches though. Good for you but needs extra work and a master cylinder at the front. Can be converted to cable clutch but looking back I wish I had gone with the extra work and gone hydro.

I think the hubs, brakes calipers, heater and instrument cluster will all be different on the 600 though.

Might be worth checking on www.rovertech.net/forum.

If I was at the beginning and at a stage of making a choice, I would be considering Tyre R engine.

Ex-Biker 29th March 2006 20:24

There are a lot of differences with instruments etc, so you'll still be looking R200 donor parts.

5exi chassis has different mounts for the T series engine and PG1 (?) gearbox.

There will be a fair few mods to fit the engine if you already have the chassis.

Good luck

limpabit 30th March 2006 08:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ex-Biker
There are a lot of differences with instruments etc, so you'll still be looking R200 donor parts.

5exi chassis has different mounts for the T series engine and PG1 (?) gearbox.

There will be a fair few mods to fit the engine if you already have the chassis.

Good luck

Just thought.:frusty: Remote oil filter for a start. Not sure on the electrics for the K, but the electrics seem ok on the early turbo's. Heard people having problems with the wiring for the 5AS.

Ex-Biker 30th March 2006 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by limpabit
Just thought.:frusty: Remote oil filter for a start. Not sure on the electrics for the K, but the electrics seem ok on the early turbo's. Heard people having problems with the wiring for the 5AS.

Yep I don't know anyone yet who has done the electrics without using Marlin's additional loom for the 5AS box.

SDMC001 30th March 2006 09:46

T series engine

I initialy went down the road of the t series, but after some discusion Mark stronly reccomended the K series, if its power you want, how about a 1800 VVC. I am going to build the 1600 K, and maybe after some time play with the engine, another thought maybe one of the later 1800 K series turbos used in some of the rovers.

roley 30th March 2006 19:33

thanks a lot lads.i think i will play about with the 16

tony-g 30th March 2006 20:08

Hi Roley

First of all you will need the T series parts from Mark.
Engine mounts, stabiliser brackets, remote oil filter, speedo cable, clutch cable (if you do not use hydraulic clutch) check with mark that the gear change cables are the same, etc.

You do not say if or what your donor car will be.

If you have a 200 as the donor and are just using engine and gearbox from the 600 Ti you will need:-

From the 600Ti. Engine complete, gearbox, the engine loom complete with ecu management and the attached engine management relay unit and wiring up to the disconnect plugs to the internal wiring complete with coil. If you intend to modify the hydraulic clutch system you will need master and slave units and the pedal box. Gear box reverse switch wiring, intercooler with hoses. Also from a mark 2 220 t series car before 1995:- instrument cluster, the mechanical speedo unit from the gearbox. If possible the clutch release arm from the gearbox because the cable type is longer than the hydraulic type so it takes greater effort to use the clutch without it. If the 600 does not have an oil cooler you will have to obtain this complete with hoses and oil pump or drill and tap the existing pump blanks.

You will have to adapt the water pump or like most turbo users install an electric water pump (releases more power). I believe the some 600’s have the starter relay in the main fuse box instead of in the ecu relay box. So you may have to rig up a starter relay (any of the standard yellow rover relays will do.

The rest of the donor requirements I think are universal to both but you would have to check that with mark.

It may look daunting but it is not bad as it looks.

All the best
Tony g