Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   IanA's Z300S Barchetta Build (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4941)

IanA 4th April 2018 17:04

Now MOTed for another year and still saving up to get it painted.
Slight increase up to 1745 miles in the last 12 months.

Had to replace the driver's seat fuse to make it adjustable again for the test. Apparently there is a draft MOT "additions" document around showing that from May the test could include brake fluid appearance and reversing light checks.

Found the document here

IanA 10th April 2018 14:42

1330 Kg

Just been out for a spin down to a local weighbridge and the Z300S with a quarter tank of fuel weighs 1330 Kg.
It still has the front & rear alloy "bumpers" under the bodywork and carries a space-save spare wheel.

WorldClassAccident 10th April 2018 16:57

BMW claimed 1387KG for the 2.8 but I guess that was dry weight

molleur 10th April 2018 19:53

Fairly certain that is is dry weight too.

IanA 4th May 2018 13:09

Out for a spin in the Z300S earlier this week and upon checking (as you do) found that the brake lights weren't working.
Wiring connections in the well of darkness (the boot) looked OK and the fuse wasn't blown.
Having the engine running and idly pumping the brake pedal listening for the switch to click- they started working again.
The switch was just tired I guess...
If only all gremlins would dissipate as easily.

WorldClassAccident 4th May 2018 13:57

I have an intermittent short between the brake lights and the rear indicator on the passenger side. Most of the time it is fine and then when braking and turning left the indicator suddenly starts flashing at double speed. I have been trying to track it down for 18 months on and off

Jaguartvr 4th May 2018 14:05

Easy fix, you're driving a BMW, you don't need to use indicators.

Barber 4th May 2018 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanA (Post 94722)
Out for a spin in the Z300S earlier this week and upon checking (as you do) found that the brake lights weren't working.
Wiring connections in the well of darkness (the boot) looked OK and the fuse wasn't blown.
Having the engine running and idly pumping the brake pedal listening for the switch to click- they started working again.
The switch was just tired I guess...
If only all gremlins would dissipate as easily.

Like the Mrs, just wants to let you know you cannot take it for granted.

IanA 20th June 2018 21:36

Getting close to paint time

Getting close to paint time as I've found someone fairly local who will do a standard paint only job (no lacquer) with a pro-finish vinyl striping overlay.
A few more consultations needed but he's recommended Indasa Autofill for any filling, pre-primer that it may need. Anyone else used this stuff?
Sounds like an easy-sand paste with glass and kevlar reinforcement. I have to say that the Isopon P40 with glass strands is not the easiest to sand.

Paul L 21st June 2018 21:31

Ian - Remind me, what colour are you going for?

Good luck, Paul. :)

IanA 21st June 2018 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul L (Post 95665)
Ian - Remind me, what colour are you going for?

Thanks- this is the car's 4th summer in gel coat.

Same as ever- white- probably Ford Polar or Arctic or whatever they call it this year with 2 stripes in red - probably good old Standard Triumph Signal Red vinyl.

Mitchelkitman 25th July 2018 16:04

Here's a (seemingly) odd question......... Does the Barchetta body kit come with the headlight holes already cut out, or just marked? No prizes (but maybe some kudos?) to anyone who can guess what I'm thinking (clue - not a track car without lights)

IanA 25th July 2018 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchelkitman (Post 96138)
... guess what I'm thinking...

Chris installed the headlights in mine so I can't say. There was a pic on here a little while ago of Z300S kit #7 being shipped. You may be able to see on that.

Are you going to:

A. Install a cluster of white LED lights for the front?

or

B. Install a cluster of red/amber LED lights and mount it on the back a la Boxster, Nikri and other pushme-pullyou designs?

Mitchelkitman 25th July 2018 20:05

no to both :icon_biggrin:

Mitchelkitman 25th July 2018 21:18

Another clue - using traditional headlights :wacko:

WorldClassAccident 26th July 2018 10:14

Pop-ups. Please be pop up / rotating headlights

https://st.hotrod.com/uploads/sites/...nd%7C660%3A440

Mitchelkitman 26th July 2018 17:28

You got it! My thought is that it would be a fun feature to have rotating headlights ALA Panther Solo. If the part cut out is available (or marked so it can be carefully cut out) it will be used as the 'blanking piece' when the light isn't in use.

WorldClassAccident 26th July 2018 21:25

I went for 'Frenched in' rear lights but have always love novel pop up style lights.

Rotating lights, ones where the bonnet lowers, simple pop ups like on my TVR Wedge.

I think the only ones I didn't like were the 'lazy eye' ones on the Z280 where the lower half was left uncovered .

Mitchelkitman 26th July 2018 22:16

2 Attachment(s)
They are IMHO an interesting feature. I changed my Quantum ones from pop-down flaps to pop-up headlights - main reason was that the original set up gave very poor night vision (beams shielded by bodywork) and MOT query due to light shining off flap.

IanA 5th August 2018 11:01

A-Plan insurance

Originally Posted by ned
try 01635 874646 and ask for kit car dept Henry
good luck

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanA (Post 96266)
That would be their Thatcham branch that I normally deal with anyway.

My renewal came through at £280.

So I called them today and and they quoted £148 (includes business use) and then knocked off another £20 when I let them quote for my house insurance- result!!!

Thanks for the info- a beer is waiting.

Just wanted to get this info on my thread.