Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   New Tribute member (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5815)

306craig 26th February 2016 19:51

New Tribute member

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys and girls.

New member here, about to start on my first kit car, and chose the MX250. Went for the hard top option as really like that 1960's coupe look. I think this will be the first MX250 built in Belfast (if anyone knows any different please let me know). Thanks to Dan and Chris for their help so far in answering my questions.

Got my donor car sorted (see picture) - flew to Southampton, then picked it up and drove to Holyhead through Snowdonia (good fun!!!) before getting the ferry to Dublin, then a drive up to Belfast. Got a good solid Mk2 with brilliant sills and rear arches, reasonable service history and low mileage. Only problem was the lacquer was peeling - like that is an issue!!! Have sourced most of the additional parts needed, just need to find a petrol cap, front grille and door mirrors. Oh, and of course rims and rubber (though got some good tips off the Wheels page already, thanks).

Anyway folks, just thought I would say Hi, introduce myself and apologise in advance for all the annoying questions I will be asking!!!

Ta, Craig

Drummajor 26th February 2016 20:16

Hi and welcome.
When you say you need front grill do you mean the surround?
If so I have one you can have, it's currently painted black but may need a new coat.

306craig 26th February 2016 21:10

Thanks for the welcome. To be honest i would take any advice........ I was looking for a Mondeo grille as mentioned in the suggested parts list in the build thread, however i was looking for some kind of chrome surround that i could then use with some mesh???

Drummajor 26th February 2016 21:42

This one I have is a black mondeo surround, I had the mess attached to that

Tribute Automotive 26th February 2016 21:51

I have a few in stock, I will let you have one FOC

306craig 28th February 2016 19:14

Brilliant Chris, thanks. I need to speak to Dan too, when my kit is being sorted I am after pair of light covers and a rear window too. Really appreciate the grille.

306craig 21st March 2016 19:05

Hi guys, just about got everything I need, and hopefully my kit is getting delivered next week. However really having problems sourcing some wheels, I have been trawling Ebay looking for something complete with tyres (keep the cost down) that will look the part. I have gone for a 30mm drop on the springs and have already got my 25mm spacers for the rear. All I seem to find at the moment are BBS Mk2 Golf wheels, and defo don't want to go down that avenue. Any pointers or advice would be gratefully received.

Lucky@LeMans 21st March 2016 20:39

Look at the finished cars on the site. Most look best with big alloys rather than small wires. Not much choice second hand because they will be an odd size with the MX PCD and required deep dish and off sets. Plenty of choice for new wheels on ebay but you won't get much change out of £500 for a set. After the kit itself the wheels and tyres make the biggest contribution to the end result so its worth spending a little extra to get it right.

306craig 22nd March 2016 12:07

Thanks for the advice Lucky. I was thinking of going big and chunky, currently following a set of staggered Borbet A's, with the desired 7.5 and 9 width and the correct offset. As you said tho, no change out of 500 nicker!. Thanks again.

Drummajor 22nd March 2016 17:15

I paid more for my wheels than I did for the donor Mazda.

306craig 23rd March 2016 08:52

New Tribute member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummajor (Post 76377)
I paid more for my wheels than I did for the donor Mazda.

However they do look the mutts nutts! Are they Borbet A's?

Drummajor 23rd March 2016 09:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by 306craig (Post 76432)
However they do look the mutts nutts! Are they Borbet A's?

Yes they are and yes they do. Painted them black myself :)

306craig 23rd March 2016 18:35

Been on the phone with Chris today, courier is picking my kit up on Tuesday, it should be in Belfast on Friday. Time to get busy, watch this space for the odd piccy and loads of daft questions !

306craig 24th March 2016 20:20

New Tribute member

1 Attachment(s)
So, finished work a bit earlier today ready for Easter weekend. Thought I would take advantage of a dry day and the fact my kit should be here next week and make a start. Not exactly a huge start, however I don't want to peak too early!!!!

So first daft question - do the front arch liners need keeping for refitting into the new front end, or can I just bin them?:icon_redface:

Drummajor 24th March 2016 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by 306craig (Post 76514)
So, finished work a bit earlier today ready for Easter weekend. Thought I would take advantage of a dry day and the fact my kit should be here next week and make a start. Not exactly a huge start, however I don't want to peak too early!!!!

So first daft question - do the front arch liners need keeping for refitting into the new front end, or can I just bin them?:icon_redface:

Keep them. Will need arches for the kit

306craig 24th March 2016 21:01

Thanks mate. I thought so, but wanted to make sure.

306craig 25th March 2016 19:02

New Tribute member

3 Attachment(s)
Woke up this morning to a dry, bright day so thought I would get stuck in, a couple of hours later and I was going great guns - bonnet off, rad header tank off, fuse box off, wings taped and cut, took the off side wing off and discovered I had a snapped front spring. No great drama as I have a set of 30mm lowering springs in the garage. I wasn't going to fit them straight away as I didn't want to restrict wheel options, however needs must.

Started removing the shock and ended up having to cut the anti roll bar drop link off as the nuts were rusted solid so will need to order new drop links. Then noticed a suspicious bit of rust bubbling on the outrigger and set to with the grinder to see how bad it was - you can see the result in the pics. Off to Halfords to buy a Mig welder!!!!

So todays daft question - What thickness steel should I be using to fabricate a piece of outrigger? I am thinking 2mm but want a second opinion.:cry::cry::cry:

All help gratefully received.

LeighV6 30th March 2016 19:27

Can't help you on steel thickness but. Hope you go well with the build.

I am going to get a bit of use out of my donor car before I order the kit and start mine.

Hopefully you will ask the silly questions during your build and I won't need too lol

landmannnn 30th March 2016 19:44

Pop over to this guys site. http://www.themx5restorer.co.uk/page...air-panels.php

Probably cheaper to knock them up yourself (he charges £36+vat per side), but he has done the hard work.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90...psa32fff2e.jpg

landmannnn 30th March 2016 19:56

BTW, if i were in the market for a new welder I would go here: http://www.thewelderswarehouse.com/W...ig-welder.html