Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Italian Replica builds and chat (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   All Aluminium 1957 250 Testarossa (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6588)

Mick O'Malley 17th April 2019 08:24

Result! Excellent :).

Regards, Mick

redratbike 17th April 2019 20:51

Well done

Lucky@LeMans 17th April 2019 21:19

Thanks everyone ! Moving onto lots of neglected DIY jobs around the house next. That will keep me going for a month or two .
I've got a couple of ideas for my next project, watch this space !

lancelot link 17th April 2019 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaguartvr (Post 99979)
Well done, give it 2 weeks and you will be kicking yourself for not taking a mould!

well done ...great news . I doubt you'll be kicking yourself about that mould as taking a mould from that aluminium body would have been risky and almost certainly have damaged it . I spoke to several laminator's about it when people were saying mould it a while back as I thought it was risky . No one I spoke to could say that it wouldn't be damaged

molleur 17th April 2019 22:53

The only danger would be scarring the body when releasing the mold.
It would have to be done in about 6 separate mold sections. Fancy laying-up upside down?

10 release waxes, 6 fogs of PVA and gelcoat before any lamination begins would do. Very complicated shapes in the pontoons.

Well enough not to do it IMO.

Lucky@LeMans 17th April 2019 22:54

1 Attachment(s)
Could this be a Formosa with a bit of a twist on the styling ? I think there is one underneath it !

Paul L 18th April 2019 08:21

Lucky – Congratulations on the sale. :cool:

Whilst it is a shame you didn’t get to drive it more, paying off your mortgage is a real bonus.

Can I just check what wheel/tyre sizes the donor car had compared to what you fitted instead?

Did these changes make any difference to the way the car drove/handled?

Finally, I’ll leave you with this photo that Mick posted.

Cheers, Paul. :)

https://live.staticflickr.com/7801/3...f0ff4878_b.jpg

Lucky@LeMans 18th April 2019 17:51

Hello Paul, I only did a mile or two in donor 7. That had 50 profile tyres so quite a harsh ride but very grippy with good feel. The 80 profile tyres helped with the gearing with the bigger engine. The handling still very good but slightly softer thanks to the higher profile. I didn't get anywhere near its limits, I tend to drive pretty steady anyway !

lancelot link 19th April 2019 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 100005)
Could this be a Formosa with a bit of a twist on the styling ? I think there is one underneath it !

You could certainly head in that direction with an F120 gr . Basically most of the cars of that era are a similar generic shape. aren't they ?..kind of . If you squint , you can see any one of the top half dozen marques from one angle or another . I thought I was borrowing too many design cues from the Ferrari's at one point , but the addition of the pout and the opened up arches on some of the cars , I now see more Maserati ...Nearly every passer by who asks says .."" Is that a D type mate ? "" Now apart from the bonnet bulge I don't see any Jaguar but clearly others do !! I know Richard Bird was tweaking the body , deleting the side vent etc with a view to going 58 TR styled ...I haven't seen any recent updates on that so don't know if its under construction , abandoned or currently being pirated ..but it def had been started....

redratbike 19th April 2019 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans (Post 100005)

New project already decided!!!

Lucky@LeMans 19th April 2019 16:04

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by redratbike (Post 100026)
New project already decided!!!

The build of any project is the best bit for me. Once completed I'm always thinking what to build next ! Been the same in most of the jobs I've had over the years, building bespoke pumping systems for the oil & gas industry being my most recent. Here is a chemical injection system I put together a while back.. Sorry not the best photo !

Mick O'Malley 5th June 2019 10:51

London Yesterday

I didn't know where else to put this but, anyway, on my day out in London I wandered down to my boyhood home in Chelsea and found, just around the corner, a Ferrari dealership with this beast in the window. The suited flunkeys within looked down their noses at the peasant photographing their charge as I shot.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...835818fe_b.jpg

Further down the road is a vast cemetery, through which I used to walk to Stamford Bridge. There I spied this memorial, which speaks for itself. Wonky photo' alert.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...d620f40c_b.jpg

Regards, Mick

Jaguartvr 23rd July 2019 21:28

Up for sale on car and classic
185,000euros!

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1136745

redratbike 23rd July 2019 21:48

Wow cheeky bastards

Mick O'Malley 24th July 2019 07:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by redratbike (Post 101406)
Wow cheeky bastards

Agreed!

Could be worse: Yellow Monaco dude would have advertised it as an ex-Le Mans winner with a platinum plated titanium frame designed and fabricated by Enzo himself.

Regards, Mick

Car photographer 24th July 2019 10:33

If you look below the text it says - "£166.45 As stated" .... bargain!! ;)

Lucky@LeMans 24th July 2019 20:30

Wow ! When we did the deal the buyer had claimed that he had already sold the car and the new owner was going to fit a V12 engine back into it. That idea must have changed, at least all my hard work won't be undone !

NeilF355 10th January 2021 10:42

For sale

This looks familiar...
https://www.classic-trader.com/uk/ca...cWbnPWEmD7J5p8

Lucky@LeMans 10th January 2021 12:12

LOL, I think I sold it cheap ! I notice the price has gone up again since the previous dealer had it ! The details are wrong in the advert including the 300HP V12 engine amongst other things !

kevemm 10th January 2021 12:48

250 tr

I did say at the time you had made a fantastic job of the car and should have taken a mould and started selling them. Albeit they would have been GRP just shows the desire!

Lucky@LeMans 10th January 2021 13:13

I'm thinking of finishing my Formosa in the same way. Whilst much of the TR was bare aluminium a fair bit was painted but you wouldn't know. I found some paint that was an exact match looking like rough ali !

kevemm 10th January 2021 13:34

250tr

Excellent will be interesting to see

Mick O'Malley 11th January 2021 08:19

4 Bis Rue de Ripoff, more like. First reg '57? They're having a laugh!

Regards, Mick

peterux 11th January 2021 17:55

No disrespect to the builder but the lies in this advert are unbelivable and clearly in breach of the website.

Example text from the advert......

Description and History

The Ferrari offered here is an exact reproduction of a 250 TR with Scaglietti body. The Italian firm Giordanengo; with nearly 30 years of experience, has a reputation of being one of the best in the world in building Ferrari recreations. To build this car, the brilliant craftsmen of Giordanengo handcrafted an alloy body around a tubular steel chassis. Every effort was made to meet the proper specifications, so that the rebuild was virtually indistinguishable. of the authentic. This replica, owned by an English industrialist, is not finished. Indeed, the latter had done step by step the reconstruction of this replica but could not carry out his project following a fatal illness.

Lucky@LeMans 11th January 2021 18:14

I think the dealer is the third owner since I sold it. The story has changed or been embellished and some of the facts have changed along the way. Apparently I am writing this from the grave !

kjn47 11th January 2021 18:40

Hi, can you please let me know more about the drape moulding technique for the headlamp covers and windscreen? Any advice would be appreciated. Kevin
👍

Lucky@LeMans 11th January 2021 19:37

Anyone who wants to know more about what happened to the original Ferrari chassis that was under the 250 TR before the body was cut up and removed needs to watch this video. From about 12.30 in, all is explained !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aouiOxqcdA

Also the story of chassis 0611GT with before and after details

https://www.forza-mag.com/issues/179...a-with-a-twist

Lucky@LeMans 11th January 2021 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjn47 (Post 105653)
Hi, can you please let me know more about the drape moulding technique for the headlamp covers and windscreen? Any advice would be appreciated. Kevin
👍

It is quite a simple process. You need to make a male mould of the shape you want to make, I made mine from wood with a skim of body filler over the top. The surface finish needs to be smooth and blemish free.
Make a wooden frame a couple of inches bigger than the mould to hold the plastic sheet. The plastic sheet can be screwed to the frame with self tappers every couple of inches.
Heat in your oven at around 160c until you can see the plastic start to sag then quickly take it out and press it firmly over your mould.
Hold it down long enough until it begins to cool and it will hold the shape.
I used 3mm perspex but you also use polycarbonate.
There is an element of trial and error but its quite easy to do.

molleur 11th January 2021 23:54

I also cover the mould surface with felt fabric to prevent scratching the polycarbonate which is softer than the perspex. 160C is a great temperature for both.

Mister Towed 12th January 2021 07:15

I heard that Donald Trump owned it but the Democrats stole it from him. Like seriously, Dude, it's true and sh*t. I read it on Twitter. Rise up! RISE UP!

kjn47 12th January 2021 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by molleur (Post 105657)
I also cover the mould surface with felt fabric to prevent scratching the polycarbonate which is softer than the perspex. 160C is a great temperature for both.

Thank you for this. It’s really very helpful. Kevin

Lucky@LeMans 20th January 2021 13:59

Looks like a great project. The Locost chassis wasn't modified, the track and wheel base were correct. The driving position was very short but that was due to tiny cockpit area governed by the body shape. If designing from scratch you might want to increase the space inside a little. No wheel spacers fitted but the hub adaptors do increase the track a little. Luckily on my car it all fell into position.

kjn47 20th January 2021 16:03

Thank you for your response. I will keep you updated.👍

molleur 20th January 2021 16:11

Kevin, why Styrofoam?
Urethane foam is much easier to work and compatible with polyester resins.

kjn47 20th January 2021 16:30

Thank you for this suggestion. What coating do you have to use before applying polyurethane resins?

kjn47 20th January 2021 16:31

Thank you for the suggestion. What coating do you have to use before applying polyurethane resin and matting etc?

molleur 20th January 2021 16:46

that would depend upon if you intend to make a mould or simply a male one-off body which will require a lot of post-finishing.
If making a mould, a very fine finish is needed. Should you make your body buck and use it as a final product, it will be much more labor intensive to finish. Send me a PM for a more detailed and lengthy explanation.

rossnzwpi 8th February 2021 17:52

https://rqriley.com/fiberglass-over-foam/
Robert Q. Riley describes using polyurethane foam - which has a very fine grain and is not melted by standard polyester fibreglass resin. Polyurethane foam used to be readily available in insulation supply companies - I'm not sure if it still is.
Polystyrene foam is much more coarse and doesn't cut or sand in the same way. You can use a different, more expensive fibreglass resin (epoxy) to avoid melting polystyrene.

molleur 8th February 2021 18:17

Should you choose to use polystyrene foam, the extra expense of epoxy resins may be avoided by (after shaping) coating the plug with latex house paint, several coats. Them applying mould release wax and PVA
to the surface. This prevents polyester resins from attacking the styrene
foam. PITA to remove the polystyrene foam should some stick to the part (some will). Easily removed with acetone in a squirt bottle. The acetone will dissolve the foam quickly. Recently did this on three complicated fiberglass parts. PITA in all.

Mitchelkitman 19th April 2021 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossnzwpi (Post 105829)
https://rqriley.com/fiberglass-over-foam/
Robert Q. Riley describes using polyurethane foam - which has a very fine grain and is not melted by standard polyester fibreglass resin. Polyurethane foam used to be readily available in insulation supply companies - I'm not sure if it still is.
Polystyrene foam is much more coarse and doesn't cut or sand in the same way. You can use a different, more expensive fibreglass resin (epoxy) to avoid melting polystyrene.

Just use polyisocyanurate board (trade call it PIR) Cellotex or similar - just peel off the foil off one side and paper off t'other (it really stinks when you do it!)
Works well with polyester resin. Also builders 'squirty foam' is useful and can be used to fill gaps or join boards.