Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Old No.7 Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Kidge's Z3 275 Project (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5477)

Jaguartvr 7th November 2016 12:27

Must be overdue for an update.

Is Kidge going to do a build thread?

Egdik 21st November 2016 15:32

Progress . . .

2 Attachment(s)
On October 20th Chris & Dan 'dry' fitted some panels, as seen here; they took away the front end to modify - in a fortnight 'he said . . .'

Meanwhile I am thinking about what is here, what isn't and what I can do about it all.

What is all this soft white filler ? Some new skills are required.

The bumpers look nice.

Attachment 4025
Attachment 4026

Lucky@LeMans 21st November 2016 19:21

Good luck with your build , I'm sure it will look stunning when its done !

molleur 21st November 2016 19:25

Looking good this far!

275NART 23rd November 2016 18:18

Is there a way to shorten the rear a few inches, raise the wheel arch opening, and raise the "bump" so it's highest point is above the center of the wheel arch? it would be more visually pleasing and closer to the original. Sorry if I sound like a critic but maybe it's possible to do this at least for the spyder version. I don't know if it's possible on the z3, I know it's hard to get the nose down because of the radiator support.

http://i.imgur.com/hZ6Wd5c.jpg

Rear view looks dead on and sexy!!!

Lucky@LeMans 23rd November 2016 19:56

I think at this stage of the game its only right to wait and see the prototype in a more finished state . Until you see a finished car its hard to judge how good it will look or otherwise. A full on side view doesn't do a car justice , you need to see the whole car viewed at all angles to see how the proportions work. I'm sure this design will work and even more so as a convertible version.

Lucky@LeMans 23rd November 2016 20:27

1 Attachment(s)
This shot shows the rear end "bump" position , looks to be the same relative position in photos above.

Triumph Special 4th December 2016 20:39

Any progress with this? Looks great.

Jaguartvr 13th January 2017 10:23

Are there still no updates on the 275?

Lucky@LeMans 13th January 2017 21:21

Probably on the back burner until Stoneliegh ?

Aus Simmo 26th January 2017 06:43

Updates?

Is anything happening with this build?

This is the car that could make me pull the trigger. I love the DNA Cal Spyder but I need a roof where I live. I'm in far North Queensland, Australia and whilst we get over 300 sunny days per year, it's too hot to have the roof down. I'm originally from the Lake District so don't handle the sun too well!

I think this with aircon could be my long term dream car.

Aus Simmo 26th January 2017 06:49

I know the z3 has a soft top, but I would never drop the top so a hardtop makes more sense.

I had an Elise for a while and never took the top off - too hot here.

Lucky@LeMans 26th January 2017 11:44

I might be wrong but earlier posts by Tribute suggest they will only be offering a convertible version.
It would be nice to hear from Tribute / Old No 7 with an update on this project.

Egdik 26th January 2017 11:46

Slow progress

This project with Chris at Tribute is moving slowly forward.

We are still waiting for the updated front 'valance'.

The plan is to have most of the modest interior work and exterior finishing ready to go BEFORE bolting / bonding the panels in place.

The soft top aluminium bracket, that the fabric fits into on the body, is usable as a finishing 'edge'. A transverse wooden bar is replacing the plastic boxes behind the seats. Bought a leather hide - Martrim. A leather lining is due for much of the ex soft top 'well'; same leather for the door cards and possibly the steering wheel. Speakers will be on a wood base, between the roll cage and the wheel arch, where the soft top frame used to be. Will fit a grp board, with Woolies Grey all wool headlining; pus foam each side; dynamat extreme and a lead foam sandwich from CBS. Fitted a fan under the 'parcel' shelf.

The door handles and catch mechanisms are part ready, but far too complicated and costly in time and funds - may look good though. The standard door mirrors are fitted onto the grp skins; will try and get them heated. The bonnet struts may be uprated, but there is limited room for a 22mm body. The boot catch has been lined up wrong and declines to work.

The rear light indents will be rebuilt. The front winkers recesses also need a complete rework to face forwards. The mis-alignment, shorting, deficiencies of some panels requires attention. Recently welded a metal strip up the rear window frame to give the same width as along the top. Plastic windows in hand. Just now some door seals are ready for trial: two seals will be fitted along the top and up the rear edge. Bought from sealsdirect and Woolies.

Fabricated some stainless brackets for the rear bumpers. What to do about a wobbly roof ? Have cut out vents in bonnet and rear 3/4 - will add grp when panels off again. Talked to glass men about inserts in rear vents. Put threaded inserts in bonnet for catches, as 'tapping' threads into grp is not wise. Planning inner wheel arch extensions / replacements with 3mm canvas / rubber sheets. Possibly change front suspension units and fit taller 70 profile tyres ?205 / 215 on the 15'' alloys etc . . . front wing interference ?

Anyone with experience of epoxy coating grp ?

The plan is to do most things then photograph and text a long entry.

Not idle but still a long way to go; please be patient.

Paul L 27th January 2017 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egdik (Post 85684)
This project with Chris at Tribute is moving slowly forward.... still a long way to go .... please be patient.

I am sure it will be worth the wait in the end.

Good luck, Paul. :)

Aus Simmo 29th January 2017 03:10

I also recall seeing that Tribute would only do convertibles. I think there is a market for a hardtop (include me in that list).

I remember that DNA very graciously stated they wouldn't do a hardtop 250SWB to avoid stealing business from Tribute. Perhaps they could consider a 275 hardtop? I think a 275 is sufficiently different from a 250 for DNA to not be pinching customers. Personally I would be in the market for a 275 but not a 250 so DNA wouldn't be stealing my custom from Tribute.

Jaguartvr 29th January 2017 10:28

Don't you go asking DNA to start on a 275, they should be busy beavering away on the 365 Daytona!!!

There is a thread on the DNAOC website but for some reason I can't post on it.

As Tribute/No7 have the mould for a hardtop I can't see them refusing a few one off"s. I think the idea of soft top only was that it would be easier, cheaper and quicker to make and sell.

Aus Simmo 29th January 2017 11:31

I understand that a soft top is cheaper to produce, but if a hardtop costs more, then they could charge more and therefore make more.

I'd pay the difference - as I said, I live where the sun is brutal. 34C in Summer and 26C in Winter so I need a roof and aircon. A 275GT would find a spot in my garage.

redratbike 29th January 2017 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaguartvr (Post 85754)
Don't you go asking DNA to start on a 275, they should be busy beavering away on the 365 Daytona!!!

There is a thread on the DNAOC website but for some reason I can't post on it.

As Tribute/No7 have the mould for a hardtop I can't see them refusing a few one off"s. I think the idea of soft top only was that it would be easier, cheaper and quicker to make and sell.

I thought this was a one off hardtop on the understanding that the kit can be sold to the public as soft top only?

Aus Simmo 29th January 2017 12:00

I guessed that, and presumed he didn't want to bump into another hardtop in England. I'm about 10,000 miles from England so no dramas there. As has been said - if someone has created a hardtop buck they aren't likely to scrap it without making a few cars.