Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   New Tribute member (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5815)

306craig 31st March 2016 20:11

New Tribute member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeighV6 (Post 76782)
Can't help you on steel thickness but. Hope you go well with the build.

I am going to get a bit of use out of my donor car before I order the kit and start mine.

Hopefully you will ask the silly questions during your build and I won't need too lol

I will do my best Leigh!! More daft questions coming soon I promise.

306craig 31st March 2016 20:14

New Tribute member

Quote:

Originally Posted by landmannnn (Post 76783)
Pop over to this guys site. http://www.themx5restorer.co.uk/page...air-panels.php

Probably cheaper to knock them up yourself (he charges £36+vat per side), but he has done the hard work.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90...psa32fff2e.jpg

Thanks mate, I have actually managed to source some 1.5mm plate. Went to a local fabrication company and they gave me some off cuts for free! Most of the rot now cut out and ready to start shaping the in fills. Thanks for the tip on the welder, I ended up borrowing an arc welder of a mate so all sorted.

306craig 31st March 2016 20:57

Todays daft question - I was reading some of the build threads last week and came across a part number for decent chrome wiper arms, and of course being an idiot didn't make a note of it. Now a week later I can't find the right thread or the part number. Help please!

Another question, how do you put pictures into a thread, all I can see to do is save them as a link?

By the way - kit should be here tomorrow.

landmannnn 31st March 2016 21:51

Google up Tex adjustable wiper arms, there are a few sellers.

306craig 31st March 2016 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by landmannnn (Post 76828)
Google up Tex adjustable wiper arms, there are a few sellers.

Cheers dude.

306craig 8th April 2016 10:52

New Tribute member

1 Attachment(s)
Been quiet for the past week or so, my kit attived last Friday as promised by Chris. Cheers mate, all intact and well packed. Since then the weather has been awful so not much work done. I managed to find some wheels this week, 16 x 8's with a 20 offset, so spacers for the rear end. Think they will look good. Came with 4 nearly new tyres and not a mark on them, got them for a good price too. I have got some of the chassis welding done, hoping it is going to stay dry this afternoon and evening so i can get the rest done, doesn't look promising tho!

Roadster 8th April 2016 11:21

Nice wheel choice - whats your plans for colour tri, etc?

Jaguartvr 8th April 2016 13:27

Just in case you are interested, there is a set of 14" bolt on wire wheels for a MX5 on Ebay at the moment. £400 or £450 can't remember exactly.

306craig 8th April 2016 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaguartvr (Post 77186)
Just in case you are interested, there is a set of 14" bolt on wire wheels for a MX5 on Ebay at the moment. £400 or £450 can't remember exactly.

Thanks will have a look.

306craig 8th April 2016 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadster (Post 77184)
Nice wheel choice - whats your plans for colour tri, etc?

Sorry for being unadventurous but going Ferrari red. I am building it for a mate of mine so what he says goes. For the interior I am going for mk1 tombstone leather seats with the nardi wooden steering wheel, handbrake and gear knob. Nothing too exciting but that is what he has opted for. Just need some decent weather now, p***ing down again this afternoon

306craig 11th April 2016 20:00

Well I had half a day of decent weather on Saturday, and a full day on Sunday. So removed the radiator and set to on the chassis legs. End result - all front end welding done, undersealed and radiator back in. New shocks arrived tonight (front NS was misting so thought I would change them while I was doing the springs anyway), so hoping to get the suspension back together and it sat back on its wheels tomorrow night (weather depending), then we are ready to trial fit the front end and start making some headway!!!

Todays daft questions:
1. Has anyone managed to use the MX5 bonnet and boot release / lock with the 250 kit?
2. I presume you use a seal of some description around the bonnet frame, anyone got any links to a suitable fleabay listing?

Cheers folks.

Drummajor 11th April 2016 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by 306craig (Post 77349)
Well I had half a day of decent weather on Saturday, and a full day on Sunday. So removed the radiator and set to on the chassis legs. End result - all front end welding done, undersealed and radiator back in. New shocks arrived tonight (front NS was misting so thought I would change them while I was doing the springs anyway), so hoping to get the suspension back together and it sat back on its wheels tomorrow night (weather depending), then we are ready to trial fit the front end and start making some headway!!!

Todays daft questions:
1. Has anyone managed to use the MX5 bonnet and boot release / lock with the 250 kit?
2. I presume you use a seal of some description around the bonnet frame, anyone got any links to a suitable fleabay listing?

Cheers folks.

Kitscar solutions for the bonnet seal, and plenty of other stuff too

landmannnn 11th April 2016 20:35

Or sealsdirect http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/

306craig 13th April 2016 20:07

New Tribute member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummajor (Post 77350)
Kitscar solutions for the bonnet seal, and plenty of other stuff too

Thanks mate, you are really helping me out with your pointers. Appreciated.:icon_wink:

306craig 13th April 2016 20:08

New Tribute member

Quote:

Originally Posted by landmannnn (Post 77354)

Thanks a lot, all advice and tips gratefully received.

306craig 13th April 2016 20:14

Well I got my good weather yesterday evening, so the front end is back together. New shocks, new springs (30mm drop), new anti roll bar drop links (had to cut the old ones off, the nuts were seized solid). Had a bit of a measure up tonight and lined up inner wing extensions etc. Weather forecast is good for tomorrow so after work I am hoping to get the front end on, lined up and marked ready for fitting at the weekend.

Thought for today - I need a far bigger garage. Getting really annoyed with working on the drive and being restricted by the weather!!!!!!

LeighV6 14th April 2016 16:39

you don't hang about look forward to the update pics

306craig 14th April 2016 20:05

New Tribute member

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeighV6 (Post 77476)
you don't hang about look forward to the update pics

Lol, cheers Leigh. When you get in the 'zone' you have to go for it. Had another good couple of hours tonight, had a trial fit of the front end, got the inner wings ground back ready for the extensions to be bolted on, got one fitted. Hopefully dry tomorrow, and I have a lunch time finish so hoping to have a good couple of hours at it. If I do, then second wing extension fitted, front end back on and start bonding / riveting / bolting. Came to the conclusion tonight that I need lazy tongues, plier type rivet guns are way too much like hard work!!!!!

Couple of pictures for you all:
12 - some of the rot in the chassis leg, by the time I had cut it back to good steel it was 6 inches long and both sides and the bottom of the leg, both sides of the car!
15 - Welded and undersealed (it ain't pretty but is good and strong!!!), and the new springs and shocks.
16 - Got some Mk1 tombstone seats this week, Immaculate, drivers bolster good and firm - £280, RESULT!
17 - Tonights 'dry' fit of the front end. I am feeling quietly confident!

Cheers folks.

fatbloke 14th April 2016 20:43

Have fun with the front end. I put one on a MK2 and had to remove quite a bit of the fibreglass around the engine bay to get it to fit. I then had to cut out the inner skin on the bonnet to get that to fit.

Might have just been me being cack handed though.

306craig 14th April 2016 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatbloke (Post 77486)
Have fun with the front end. I put one on a MK2 and had to remove quite a bit of the fibreglass around the engine bay to get it to fit. I then had to cut out the inner skin on the bonnet to get that to fit.

Might have just been me being cack handed though.

Hmmmm, now I'm not feeling so confident. You wouldn't have a pic or 2 would you?