Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   has anyone come upwith a lotus europa kit (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5309)

Axel 18th March 2015 07:08

Same here in germany, nobody wants them, I tried to sell a '95 MGF for a friend of mine last year, and I could not get rid of it...so it is still sitting in his garage covered with lots of other stuff... I don't understand this, it is not such a bad car... :noidea:

Scottie22 18th March 2015 07:35

Axel, I agree with you, it is actually a good car, the K series engine is very good, so good that Caterham used it very successfully for 20 years in their cars.

But with engines not given the Caterham treatment, the head gaskets were prone to go bust, which gave Rovers a bad reputation, and to make it worse for the MGF the engine is mid-mounted and very awkward and expensive to get at and repair, which is the main reason they are so cheap. But with a good steel Klinger head gasket on, they are very good and reliable.

The ultimate K series engine ( an 1800) by all accounts were able to produce between 180 and 220 BHP which made the Elises very nippy.

andysharrock 18th March 2015 19:29

The cars is a 1.8i driving it back it handled as good if not better than my
mx5 and has by far more poke in the engine I would love to throw it around a track.

andysharrock 21st March 2015 18:35

do you know what it is yet

4 Attachment(s)
god it been a long week, anyway had a few hours in the garage today and here is ware I got to. mgf stripped and starting to look at how to put it back together. the bonnet is going to need a big bump at the to get over the wiper cowl. just held the back onto look at the lines and it looks like it may just work out. Attachment 2152

Attachment 2153

Attachment 2154

Attachment 2155

Mister Towed 21st March 2015 20:39

That's looking like it's going to work. Good effort!

andysharrock 22nd March 2015 08:49

thought I better start a build thread as its not a tribute kit don't want anyone shouting at me LOL
http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=5346

IanA 22nd March 2015 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottie22 (Post 64598)
...But with a good steel Klinger head gasket on, they are very good and reliable...

The other issue involved the mid engine and the front radiator with a lot of cold coolant released when the thermostat first opened. Maybe this worsened the problems with the original head gaskets.

andysharrock 22nd March 2015 16:42

see ware you are coming from with the rad you would think someone would have thought of away of warming the water up first. I thought it come be the size of the small rad that caused the head problem but the sudden surge of cold water on a hot head could well be its down fall

IanA 22nd March 2015 16:59

Weren't there issues with the plastic spacers on the head-to-sump studs- something cured by metal spacers?

andysharrock 22nd March 2015 17:15

one for google as I am not sure , I am hoping I will not be having head problems it was dune 4000 miles ago and been ok since

Mistrale 22nd March 2015 19:24

OK, so that's the Europa sorted, now, who fancies an Esprit? Ideally a 'Bond' S1??? Any ideas out there?

NeilF355 22nd March 2015 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by andysharrock (Post 64463)
dose resin go off I have about 10lts in a drum but the last time I used it, it took forever to dry dose it pass a use by date

Was it cold when you used it as this would slow up the reaction?

I just heat the resin up a bit (to about 20 Degrees Centigrade) in an old microwave before I add the catalyst. It takes a matter of seconds.

andysharrock 22nd March 2015 19:53

yes it was a wee bit on the cold side ,will soon no I will be using it again in the next week or so

Hammy 24th March 2015 14:59

Good work mate, hope it works out for you