Madabout Kitcars Forum

Madabout Kitcars Forum (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tribute Automotive Builds (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   z3 wet carpets time to replace (https://madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7278)

andysharrock 16th May 2020 17:40

z3 wet carpets time to replace

I have had this car probably 6 months always been in the garage never been in the rain happen to hover some bits up today lifted the carpet and the sponge bloody soaked. Not just a bit if you squeeze it water runs out. I was going to try and dye them black now just thinking of ripping them out. Has anyone tried fitting there own carpets any recommendations for what or where to buy :thumb:

casamolino 16th May 2020 18:40

Good evening Andy if at all possible try and remove the carpets without ruining them , dry them out , relay and cover with the carpet of your choice , the Z3 floor-pan is extremely awkward if it doesn`t have a set of the standard carpets on it , good luck Geoff .

Lucky@LeMans 16th May 2020 20:40

Might be worth getting a black carpet set from another Z3. Most of them get soaked over time but they don't seem to rot. Should be cheap to buy from one of the private sellers on ebay.

Hughandjen 16th May 2020 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by andysharrock (Post 104191)
I have had this car probably 6 months always been in the garage never been in the rain happen to hover some bits up today lifted the carpet and the sponge bloody soaked. Not just a bit if you squeeze it water runs out. I was going to try and dye them black now just thinking of ripping them out. Has anyone tried fitting there own carpets any recommendations for what or where to buy :thumb:

Mine were ringing wet also. It’s amazing that the electrics don’t all short out tbh. I cut mine out around the centre tunnel, dried it out, dyed it and refitting it. It is such a complicated shape it would be hard to replicate.

andysharrock 17th May 2020 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hughandjen (Post 104196)
Mine were ringing wet also. It’s amazing that the electrics don’t all short out tbh. I cut mine out around the centre tunnel, dried it out, dyed it and refitting it. It is such a complicated shape it would be hard to replicate.

Hughandjen can you remember what dye you use, I tried some on the mat look great and wash out just by pouring water on it:eusa_wall:

andysharrock 17th May 2020 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by casamolino (Post 104193)
Good evening Andy if at all possible try and remove the carpets without ruining them , dry them out , relay and cover with the carpet of your choice , the Z3 floor-pan is extremely awkward if it doesn`t have a set of the standard carpets on it , good luck Geoff .

Morning Geoff wish I had spotted this before the centre console is now bonded to the dash so it will damage a lot or or should I say cause a lot of work. first seats I changed in a z3 I use 3"bolts because the floor pan shape and padding. luckily I have got access to a very hot boiler house so they will be coming out one way or another. why do we do it to ourselves lol

Hughandjen 17th May 2020 11:38

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by andysharrock (Post 104199)
Hughandjen can you remember what dye you use, I tried some on the mat look great and wash out just by pouring water on it:eusa_wall:

I used this stuff. It covered my horrible brown carpets well. The only problem is it does leave a residue and I still get dye on my hands when I rub them on the carpet

casamolino 17th May 2020 13:43

Good afternoon Andy from personal experience it is the thick foam which is attached under the carpet that is wet , in your situation you could try cutting the foam off and then allowing the carpets to dry naturally (i used this method) , this will take some time but if you believe removing them could cause more damage then it could be the answer , thanks Geoff .

andysharrock 17th May 2020 17:12

2 Attachment(s)
well that was hard work all carpets out and dripping happily in the boiler house. I have got some black dye on order so as soon as they are dry I can wet them again.Attachment 6796

Attachment 6797
unbelievable the amount of water running out of them atleast it left the car nice and clean